Catalinbread Naga Viper ... truly brings the WOW factor ...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To the OP or anyone experienced with the Naga Viper -- how crucial is the placement? In other words, would you recommend having it before all of your dirt, in the middle, or after?

Kinda depends - it can really go wherever you'd like, but if you want to get at the full dynamic range of the pedal using your guitar's volume knobs it shouldn't go after a buffer.

I have mine after a Fuzzfaceless Mk.1 and Diamond Comp (which I use as a boost) and before my HBOD. I haven't had any weird interactions happen when it's boosted and it still responds very well to volume knob stuff.

• Members

To the OP or anyone experienced with the Naga Viper -- how crucial is the placement? In other words, would you recommend having it before all of your dirt, in the middle, or after?

I keep mine before dirt (FZ-2 and Pharaoh) but after pre-dirt modulation (Whammy DaVe and Small Stone). Haven't tried any other placement because this sounds amazing as is. One thing not yet mentioned is that the Naga Viper can take up to 18v like an OCD, which is how I run mine and damn does it cook. Like 2nd season Breaking Bad cook.

• Members

Kinda depends - it can really go wherever you'd like, but if you want to get at the full dynamic range of the pedal using your guitar's volume knobs it shouldn't go after a buffer.

I have mine after a Fuzzfaceless Mk.1 and Diamond Comp (which I use as a boost) and before my HBOD. I haven't had any weird interactions happen when it's boosted and it still responds very well to volume knob stuff.

While you are here, could you tell us how well the Viper plays into a Formula 5 ?

• Members

While you are here, could you tell us how well the Viper plays into a Formula 5 ?

It's the only thing I really like boosting that pedal. Fuzz Faces into a Fn5 are too much in the low end for my taste, the NV gives me the FF-style grit with a tighter bass response - and you still get the awesome FF-style clean up sounds.

:phil:

• Members

So if I were to place it after Pitchblack/EB Volume/Barber Tone Press it should be good? Or would you place the Empress EQ in front of it as well?

Is the PB T/B? lol

The EB and TP before and EQ after. That's how I'd do it anyway.

• Members

It's the only thing I really like boosting that pedal. Fuzz Faces into a Fn5 are too much in the low end for my taste, the NV gives me the FF-style grit with a tighter bass response - and you still get the awesome FF-style clean up sounds.

:phil:

Sounds like another good pedal with the Pharaoh

• Members

Just to understand, it's a fancy hi-pass filter?

Not at all.

Not sure how you gathered that from anyone's description... :confused:

This is straight from CBread's website:

The Naga Viper is our version of this famous circuit and it enhances the classic circuit with the addition of two extra controls - Range and Heat. *The original Rangemaster had just one control - Boost. *The Range knob is a continuous control allows you to go from classic treble-boost to a full-range boost and anywhere in-between. *The original could only function as a "treble-booster". *The Heat knob gives you control over the gain level, unlike the original which was fixed at maximum gain.

Why a "treble-booster"? *Well, it is not like merely turning up the treble control on an EQ pedal. *Besides enhancing treble response, it adds its own subtle harmonic distortion and gives you a lot of "push" to really saturate the front-end of your tube amp. *But remember, the Naga Viper has a Range control that allows you to dial in exactly what frequencies get boosted.

The traditional way to use a treble-booster is to plug it straight into an already cranked and overdriven tube amp like the Marshalls, Laneys, and Voxes the British guitarists used. *Since the amps were already cranked up, a full-range boost would result in a muddy sound with no definition. *That is why we want to boost "treble"!

But in this modern era of electric guitar, many guitarists use overdrive pedals that emulate the sounds of cranked big amps into their smaller combos. *The Naga Viper is carefully voiced to allow you to boost your "amp-in-the-box" pedals too to get those famous juicy, saturated sounds at "reasonable" volume levels! *In particular, the Naga Viper was made to go with our Dirty Little Secret MkII and CB30 overdrives.

• Members

Just to understand, it's a fancy hi-pass filter?

Not at all.

Not sure how you gathered that from anyone's description... :confused:

This is straight from CBread's website:

The Naga Viper is our version of this famous circuit and it enhances the classic circuit with the addition of two extra controls - Range and Heat. *The original Rangemaster had just one control - Boost. *The Range knob is a continuous control allows you to go from classic treble-boost to a full-range boost and anywhere in-between. *The original could only function as a "treble-booster". *The Heat knob gives you control over the gain level, unlike the original which was fixed at maximum gain.

Why a "treble-booster"? *Well, it is not like merely turning up the treble control on an EQ pedal. *Besides enhancing treble response, it adds its own subtle harmonic distortion and gives you a lot of "push" to really saturate the front-end of your tube amp. *But remember, the Naga Viper has a Range control that allows you to dial in exactly what frequencies get boosted.

The traditional way to use a treble-booster is to plug it straight into an already cranked and overdriven tube amp like the Marshalls, Laneys, and Voxes the British guitarists used. *Since the amps were already cranked up, a full-range boost would result in a muddy sound with no definition. *That is why we want to boost "treble"!

But in this modern era of electric guitar, many guitarists use overdrive pedals that emulate the sounds of cranked big amps into their smaller combos. *The Naga Viper is carefully voiced to allow you to boost your "amp-in-the-box" pedals too to get those famous juicy, saturated sounds at "reasonable" volume levels! *In particular, the Naga Viper was made to go with our Dirty Little Secret MkII and CB30 overdrives.

• Members

A treble booster is not a simple high-pass, in the same way a clean boost is not a simple band-pass.

BOTH have active electronics that DO color the sound somewhat; the clean-boost has less grit and fizz. The original treble booster (Range Master, Hornby-Skewes, etc) were powered by oldskool germanium transistors, which (we should all know) add their own touch of distortion and other gritty bits to the tone.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about what a treble boost is....sadly, this is probably brought about by the pre-occupation that folks have on partially-understood/partial-innacurate terms like 'mid-scooped' and 'mid-humped' when ascribing a "sound" to an entire amp (with all it's tonal quirks and tweeks...there's more going on in a fender than just that EQ curve).

• Members

well... the range control is the filter, and the heat knob is the gain. a.k.a. a high pass filter.

I'm really not trying to be a dick about this, I'm just trying to understand exactly what the pedal does.

Oh I didn't think that at all. :)

But the term, "fancy hi pass filter", doesn't apply here... Its just not a fair term. Treble boosters, as pointed out by CBread, add their own subtle harmonic distortion as well as boosting the actual treble frequencies. I think "boost" is the confusing word here... You're not simply EQ'ing your sound with a treble booster, you're actually pumping more juice into the treble frequency; beefing it up. With an EQ pedal or hi pass filter, you can bring out or raise up treble frequencies, but they'll interact in a completely different way than a treble booster would. I'll make a demo later, since I've got both an Empress ParaEQ and the Naga Viper to try and illustrate the differences. :thu:

• Members

Oh I didn't think that at all.
:)

But the term, "fancy hi pass filter", doesn't apply here... Its just not a fair term. Treble boosters, as pointed out by CBread, add their own subtle harmonic distortion as well as boosting the actual treble frequencies. I think "boost" is the confusing word here... You're not simply EQ'ing your sound with a treble booster, you're actually pumping more juice into the treble frequency; beefing it up. With an EQ pedal or hi pass filter, you can bring out or raise up treble frequencies, but they'll interact in a completely different way than a treble booster would.
I'll make a demo later, since I've got both an Empress ParaEQ and the Naga Viper to try and illustrate the differences.
:thu:

cool that would actually be really helpful

Archived