Anyone here use Fairfield's 'The Barbershop'?

natepink

• Members

I've done a search & there's a few old threads where some people were pretty enthusiastic, comparing it to the Klon and getting all kinds of excited about sparkly clean boosted tones. But the search also threw up a few of those same people selling it at a later date.

There's not many demos on utube but in most it sounds pretty interesting.

[video=youtube;ly_3Ph5zXsQ]

So, just curious if any or many people are using one? Or maybe you're getting a similar sound from something else?

• Members

I'm considering a barbershop for a second OD (this thread) as I've heard a lot of good things about it and Fairfield makes awesome stuff, but I haven't see a demo yet that sells me on it. Like above, the "clean" in the posted demo isn't clean at all, it doesn't help me year what it really sounds like through something as clean as a twin like I'd be using.

• Members

I did have one, and sold it (I eventually sell everything). It was pretty cool, more low gain is correct. It has a lot of bottom end to it, not flubby, but definitely not like a TS type pedal. Stacks well with other stuff too, which I think is it's strength. I'm not sure I would use it as my only dirt box, but it depends on the amp too I guess and what you like to play. Overall a pretty cool overdrive and if you like the clips, definitely give it a shot. Not sure about the Klon thing, never owned one. I've heard the comparison isn't really accurate.

• Members

I have 2 on my board :lol: ... but yeah i would consider it to be a mid to low gain OD. I absolutly love it, but the lack of a tone control could be frustrating to some. You can change the tone of the pedal by using the different controls to interact with each other so its a pedal that players should really learn how to use and how it interacts. It stacks super well with fuzzes and other dirts which is why i love it. I usually have it on all the time and use the second OD or my soulbender for various fuzz tones. GREAT pedal though. Very Underrated.

• Members

I did have one, and sold it (I eventually sell everything). It was pretty cool, more low gain is correct. It has a lot of bottom end to it, not flubby, but definitely not like a TS type pedal. Stacks well with other stuff too, which I think is it's strength. I'm not sure I would use it as my only dirt box, but it depends on the amp too I guess and what you like to play. Overall a pretty cool overdrive and if you like the clips, definitely give it a shot. Not sure about the Klon thing, never owned one. I've heard the comparison isn't really accurate.

+1, one big problem to me was that the it was really missing a tone knob. At low gain it sounds really really similar to a Xotic BB (I tried both side by side)

• Members

My friend has one and he LOVES it compared to, say, the Timmy, for low-gain OD. It certainly has a lot of character to it. The sag knob gets you into really trashy-sounding distortions with lo-fi ish bottom end.

• Members

There are a lot of different tones for a pedal so simple. Makes a great straight over drive. It can also be used as a clean boost or to add a little grit and girth! You can get some awesome lofi sounds and fuzzy dying kind of sounds. As you can tell i'm a big fan haha

• Members

A similar pedal to the Barbershop in a way is the EHX Germanium OD. I still have this one, and what irks me is the lack of a volume knob. It has a gain control, so the more you turn it up, you control both gain and volume with it. And it has the volts and bias thing too, so you can make it somewhat glitchy if you want it to, kinda like the Barbershop. But it does need a volume control independent of the gain. For some though, this won't be that big of an issue.

• Members

I had one, liked it, ended up going away quickly though. You can get a lot of crunch tones out of it, what makes it different are the sag knob and how it adds a different, very "sharp" feeling to your playing. The name "barbershop" couldn't be a better description.

An interesting pedal indeed, wouldn't mind to have it again. I should have give it more playing time, kinda feels that you need to learn how it reacts to your playing/guitar/amp.

• Members

I've done a search & there's a few old threads where some people were pretty enthusiastic, comparing it to the Klon and getting all kinds of excited about sparkly clean boosted tones. But the search also threw up a few of those same people selling it at a later date.

Yay, you've figured out how the forum works already. :D

• Members

Yay, you've figured out how the forum works already.
:D

Ha. It seems so.

I guess the Fairfield Circuitry demo shows how the pedal works best.

[video=youtube;hRItWS9zj1Y]

I'll probably look out for a pre-owned one.

• Members

I've got it and love it. Fantastic low/mid OD, stacks very well, and the sag feature coughs up a nice range of distinct lo-fi sounds.

Really a unique, easy to use, and versatile design. I've got a few other light/mid ODs kicking around (including a Tim), but this is the one I keep on my board.

Personally, I'm glad there's no tone knob on it. I find adding a tone circuit to an OD just means the pedal is always screwing with your fundamental tone. I want to hear my guitar and my amp, and I want the pedal to give me OD and compression; that's what this pedal does beautifully.

• Members

Barbershop finally came today! Played it for about an hour and it's a very cool pedal. The controls are dependent on one another in a very interesting way. So far it makes a really great clean to slightly dirty boost for me and is very responsive to the volume knob.

I'm check back in when I've had more time to play it. All in in it was a great way to spend $90!

• Members

Barbershop finally came today! Played it for about an hour and it's a very cool pedal. The controls are dependent on one another in a very interesting way. So far it makes a really great clean to slightly dirty boost for me and is very responsive to the volume knob.

I'm check back in when I've had more time to play it. All in in it was a great way to spend $90!

Awesome you're diggin' it! $90 is a great price too!

Archived