Tap Tempo Tremolos: Who makes them, and are they any good?

• Members

I have a GK3 now, and i recommend it if you're after a crazy/unusual tremolo with tap tempo. The straight up trem sounds aren't the best i've heard. Then again, that's not why people buy the Goatkeeper.

I was just wondering about that. The GK is pretty spendy for me to then have to go out and buy another trem to cover all the stuff it can't do.

So, follow-up questions (for everyone, not just Estephan):

Is there a TT trem out there that can do at least some of what the GK is capable of, but still do a good "normal" tremolo too? Preferably for less cash?

What's the difference between the three versions of the Goatkeeper? Is the GK3 very much better than the GK2 or GK1? Is there much difference in the used price of the different versions?

• Members

The different versions of the goatkeeper have different tap divide values . The shapes are the same, I think its sine wave and square waves, sound just has good has any other tremolo. The difference to me is the shark tooth ramp down /| shape, that does sound a bit different.

• Members

I was just wondering about that. The GK is pretty spendy for me to then have to go out and buy another trem to cover all the stuff it can't do.

So, follow-up questions (for everyone, not just Estephan):

Is there a TT trem out there that can do at least some of what the GK is capable of, but still do a good "normal" tremolo too? Preferably for less cash?

What's the difference between the three versions of the Goatkeeper? Is the GK3 very much better than the GK2 or GK1? Is there much difference in the used price of the different versions?

Oh, the GK can do EVERYTHING. The basic trem doesn't sound as good, but it can still do it. It's just a little harder to dial in. You wouldn't need another trem.

If you haven't used tremolo much it might be best to start with something more simple.

The reason i chose the Diamond over the Empress was for random tremolo, and the momentary switch. Huuuuuuge selling points for me. I actually prefer the random tremolo on the Diamond over the GK. It seems to stick closer to the set speed, whereas the GK is completely random and sometimes it's a little much.

I use to own the original Semaphore Trem, and that was great. I would imagine the new one will be pretty great.

• Members

Shape Shifter is the best budget tremolo with tap I've used. The Empress is great, might have more features you'll use/need, but they're there. If I got another one, it would probably be it. I'd like to try the Diamond too.

I also really like the SolidGoldFX Stutterbox. Best sounding trem I've used, bar none. It's not tap, but it gives you two different settings, with an instant change from one speed to another with a toggle switch that looks like maybe a tap. Plus it gives you 3 different LED's one for off/on, the other two different color LEDs for each speed so you can see how they're set, even when the trem is off. Other cool features, a tone knob and a gain knob - almost like adding a bit of overdrive to your tremolo if you want it. It doesn't have a ton of different trem settings, just two, but they're both great - it's an optical trem which sounds more amp like to me. The Fulltone is similar, but also not tap - it has a half switch, sort of like the Stutterbox, but to me not as good of design.

• Members

Digitech's latest Hardwire trem

O rly? I looked at the specs for the Hardwire Tremolo/Rotary pedal (that's the one you mean, right?) and there was nothing to suggest that it had TT. I mean, I believe you- you're Phil after all, I'm just surprised...

EDIT: Phil was right of course, but the Hardwire's TT is implemented with that irritating "press and hold" method and only has one subdivision setting for each mode. Tap tempo: give it its own footswitch or GTFO :mad:

• Members

If your interested, I've been thinking about experimenting with this chip combined with some CMOS circuits combined with a tremolo circuit but the circuit would probably have a bunch of {censored} you don't want (I'm thinking stepped waveforms).

You could PM me, but the wait time would be a few weeks while I finish the design.

Archived