Umm, Jagstang?

jw10

Of all The Kurt Cobain guitars, the basic Mustangs that Fender just released are probably my favorites. I don't like the extra goodies on the Cobain Jaguar, and I think my opinion on the Jagstang is clear now. :lol:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H78833.001.001_fiesta_re

Still, I think I'd rather have my little seafoam green guitar more than any other. I just love that Duo Sonic. I like my compstang a lot too though, and I definitely want a Jaguar...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The basic Cobain Mustang is $949.99 in the US

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-kurt-cobain-signature-mustang-electric-guitar

I was about to say that the '65 Mustang is $939 (which they recently were), but it appears they've dropped a bit on price - they're now $889.99

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-65-mustang-reissue-electric-guitar

Got bored and photoshopped my own Jaguar Mustang mash up.

blahyw.jpg

Surprising how similar the bodies look if you put the hardware of one on the other.

Nice! :phil:

Edit: No seriously... VERY nice! :phil: :phil: Fender should consider making that EXACT guitar as part of the Pawn Shop series. I'd rock the snot out of that - especially if it came in the various pastel custom colors... but even that 'burst looks fantastic! Stick a push / pull tone control on it so you can still invert the phase / polarity on one of the pickups, and that could be a real winner.

• Members

Got bored and photoshopped my own Jaguar Mustang mash up.

blahyw.jpg

Surprising how similar the bodies look if you put the hardware of one on the other.

:love:

There's a few people on OSG that have actually built Jag-Stangs as they were originally conceptualized. Good stuff.

Why not just buy a Cyclone?

DV016_Jpg_Large_H77032.003_lake_placid_b

I like the Cyclones too. Especially the Fender Cyclone II with the three Jaguar pickups and the competition stripes. Fender should reissue those.

Hey, Phil. You might know this. Was the 90's Epiphone Coronet an answer to the Jagstang?

I seriously doubt it. Epiphone Coronets were first introduced way back in 1959, so they are a far older design than the Jagstang.

No, no, no. I mean these ones.

Coronetmodern.jpg

The mid-90's reissue Coronet was like other Coronets (and Wilshires, Crestwoods and Olympics) in terms of basic body shape. That part of the design has been relatively unchanged (except for some Strat-shaped models in the 80s) since the late 1950s. IIRC, the mid-90s reissue was the first with that pickup configuration (humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the neck), and that part of the design might have been inspired by Cobain's guitars, but I've never heard anything that suggests that was the case. It seems plausible to me, but I have no knowledge or evidence that supports it. :idk: That whole range of models has had quite a variety of different pickups used in them over the years, including "Fender (or Melody Maker) sized" single coils, P90s, humbuckers and mini-humbuckers, so nothing they did with it pickup-wise would really surprise me.

On the topic of mangled Fender offsets, has anyone ever played a Squier Super Sonic? I've always thought they looked quite cool.

Squiersupersonic.JPG

They've always reminded me of a left-handed Jazzmaster with right-handed JM / Strat hardware and setup, and humbuckers. Not bad, but not my favorite Fenders / Squiers of all time either. They only made them for a couple of years, so I don't think there is all that many of them out there. The folks who have them seem to like them... I don't see them come up for sale all that often. I've never played one, so I can't really comment in terms of their sound, build quality and playability - sorry.

• Members

Squiersupersonic.JPG

They've always reminded me of a left-handed Jazzmaster with right-handed JM / Strat hardware and setup, and humbuckers. Not bad, but not my favorite Fenders / Squiers of all time either. They only made them for a couple of years, so I don't think there is all that many of them out there. The folks who have them seem to like them... I don't see them come up for sale all that often. I've never played one, so I can't really comment in terms of their sound, build quality and playability - sorry.

I think they're ugly in a more pleasing way than the Jagstang, seems like one of the more interesting oddities to be found in Squier's vaults.

Archived