Best OD pedal for Clean amps

• Members

So, when i look online, there's a lot of OD demo's but vast majority is using them over a dirty channel...i realize that is the correct application of these type of pedals.

The thing is, i want an OD pedal to use over a clean channel.

What i want out of this is a "Gain" range that will goes from slightly OD bluesy sound all the way to a low gain distortion pedal...for those heavy distortion sounds i have another pedal.

As a guide...i want to get that Black Sabbath type OD/distortion

Any suggestions?

I've seen the MXR OD/Boost pedal which seems really good...but wondering if anything else.

thanks in advance for your help

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The boss od3 is a great overdrive that excels over a clean channel, and you can get some really heavy sounds out of it. It has great bite and bottom end, and if you've got the eq on your amp set right, you could totally cop Sabbath tones.

• Members

Sorry dude, the best you'll do here is a dozen replies all recommending a different pedal. There's about a zillion dirt peds that would work for what you describe, everyone has got his own favorite.

My two cnts, before you get lured into buying any of the snobby booteek flavour of the month: Try out as many boss/mxr/ehx/hardwire dirt pedals you can in your nearest guitar center...

Also: In b4 klon:p

• Members

Sorry dude, the best you'll do here is a dozen replies all recommending a different pedal. There's about a zillion dirt peds that would work for what you describe, everyone has got his own favorite.

My two cnts, before you get lured into buying any of the snobby booteek flavour of the month: Try out as many boss/mxr/ehx/hardwire dirt pedals you can in your nearest guitar center...

Also: In b4 klon:p

Well...to be honest, i would stay clear of the booteek pedals anyway...not enough funds for that...i do like MXR stuff a lot...but i just want to see some options

• Members

So many answers. I'll give you a different one every time.

Right now I'd love to try a Walrus Audio Mayflower into a Marshall JMP set nice and clean.

I like to do a Google search and randomly pick a pedal. Sometimes, I've never heard of it.

• Members

Okay whatever, I'll play along...For the 36799th time:)

The non-booteek od peds I remember owning/trying:

-Marshall JH-1: Extremely "processed" and digital sounding impo. Versatile, sure, but impo you can do better for the money.

-Byoc TS-808: Meh, I'm not into toobscreamers.

-Rat: Don't like it with all amps, nor for all type of sounds. But in most cases, a Ruetz'd Rat is a GREAT bang for the buck impo.

-Boss: Can't realy go wrong with any of their overdrives impo, just steer clear of their bees-in-a-box similator called "ds-1".

-MXR distortion+: Sounds okay, I still prefer a Ruetz'd Rat.

Un-ruetz'd, the Rat tends to lack low end and messes with your natural tone a bit more.

Don't know if it has enough gain for what you're after, but a decent SHO clone might work too. There's chinese copies and diy clones all over the place that don't cost as much as your guitar...

• Members

"Black Sabbath type OD/distortion."

The OCD and DLS are two leading options, specifically for getting cranked, old skool Marshall tones out of a clean amp. Box of Rock is too, but I didn't like it at all.

Never tried it but the Radial Hot British might work for you.

• Members

I always recommend the same thing for low gain - Paul C Timmy. Great value, and properly transparent.

You can set it to that sweet spot where lightly playing is clean, and it breaks up as you play harder. Fantastic pedal. Not the pedal for you if you don't like your amp tone, but if you're happy with your cleans and want to dirty them, rather then putting something over the top of them (if that makes sense), the get it.

• Members

Nthing the Barber Direct Drive. I use it with my Deluxe Reverb (that, despite its low wattage, I never get to turn up to that sweet spot) to give me some hard-edged, Marshally crunch. The gain knob has a wide range (and the printable manual offers a few sample settings to simulate certain classic amps). Cost me about $100 new back in 2005.

For lower gain OD sounds I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic, but that's pricier.

• Members

the BJFE Honey Bee got tons of praise for this kind of use. i guess they have the bearfoot honey bees now for cheaper or whatever. I had a mad professor sweet honey OD and it was just too low gain, couldn't play this role.

OCD is good

i'd personally get a skreddy screwdrive deluxe or lunar module deluxe (which can cop all the same tones as the screwdriver for the most part, based on same circuit, but LMD can do a lot more too).

cbread formula 5 i used as a virtual dirt channel too. really fine OD

finally a Red Llama or clone of one

• Members

Came in to suggest an OD-3. It sits on the border of overdrive and distortion and does both well. An excellent pedal. Its currently my only gain pedal into a loud, clean amp (Delta Blues 210 on channel 1).

• Members

As a guide...i want to get that Black Sabbath type OD/distortion

This threw me. Maybe I'm not versed enough in Sabbath but I don't think of that as an OD-type of tone.

Fulltone OCD, perhaps. Mad Professor Sweet Honey had a distortiony kind of overdrive sound, I think Joyo makes a cheap clone if you don't feel like shelling out (Joyo Sweet Baby).

Edit: When I had a Sweet Honey it never sounded as cool as the intro to this video. :(

[video=youtube;xN3FX8SKGx8]

Archived