Best OD pedal for Clean amps

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This threw me. Maybe I'm not versed enough in Sabbath but I don't think of that as an OD-type of tone.

Indeed. My first inclination for Black Sabbath tones is an EQD Tone Reaper or treble booster into a dirty amp. But as far as clean amp/OD goes, an OCD would work.

• Members

Indeed. My first inclination for Black Sabbath tones is an EQD Tone Reaper or treble booster into a dirty amp. But as far as clean amp/OD goes, an OCD would work.

the "classic" Sabbath sound is a Dallas Rangemaster into a Laney, right? No fuzz unless you count the "Klipp" fuzz circuit that people dispute ever being used.

• Members

the "classic" Sabbath sound is a Dallas Rangemaster into a Laney, right? No fuzz unless you count the "Klipp" fuzz circuit that people dispute ever being used.

True but you can get pretty close with a clean amp and Tone Reaper, though OP specifically wanted an overdrive.

• Members

What type of amp are you using is a question to start with. If it is a Fender amp, the the Timmy isn't a good suggestion. As good a pedal as the Tim/Timmy are, they weren't designed w Fender amps in mind. Even Paul Cochrane would suggest against it himself. He designed it w/ other amps in mind over Fenders.

I would suggest the Blackstone, but the OP doesn't want to spend boutique dollars.

• Members

What type of amp are you using is a question to start with. If it is a Fender amp, the the Timmy isn't a good suggestion. As good a pedal as the Tim/Timmy are, they weren't designed w Fender amps in mind. Even Paul Cochrane would suggest against it himself. He designed it w/ other amps in mind over Fenders.

I would suggest the Blackstone, but the OP doesn't want to spend boutique dollars.

I use a Blackstar amp at home...but i got to rehearsal studio's and there usually there are orange amps...or marshalls...so its going to be british style amps.

and before anyone says it, yes all these amps have good dirty channels, and i could use the OD pedal on dirty channel...but i personally don't like it...

BTW...thanks for all the suggestions so far...its given me a lot of options...especially on the second hand market!

• Members

What are the thoughts on the MXR MC402? There's one going on ebay, the added boost function would be good as well...

the other ones i found on ebay are:

Crowther Hotcake

Freakish Blues Alpha Drive

Barber LTD

T Rex Michael Angelo

Still looking for the OCD's...

• Members

I always recommend the same thing for low gain - Paul C Timmy. Great value, and properly transparent.

You can set it to that sweet spot where lightly playing is clean, and it breaks up as you play harder. Fantastic pedal. Not the pedal for you if you don't like your amp tone, but if you're happy with your cleans and want to dirty them, rather then putting something over the top of them (if that makes sense), the get it.

This...Timmy is an amazing transparent pedal and well worth the wait.

• Members

the SFT or any of Catalinbread's amp-in-a-box pedals. I boost the SFT with the naga viper and it is instant iommi through a completely clean amp.

this is what I would suggest. even a SD-1 or OD-3 boosted with a Rangemaster style boost will get you there.

Archived