Delays... Which one? Best use?

Infi-del

• Members

So I'm getting into delays. Seems you can add a lot of movement and depth to your sound with them. So far the ones that have impressed me the most are the Strymon Timeline, the Eventide Timefactor, and the TC Electronic Alter Ego. Tell me some things I need to know about delays and how to best make use of them. Also... where do you put yours in your signal chain? What are some cool effects combos with delays?

• Members

Timeline and Timefactor are monsters. They have so many different delays and parameters that they may be a bit daunting for someone just getting into it. The alter ego might be easier to wrap your head around...delays can be used for all sorts of things. Thickening leads/chords, slapback echo, rhythmic patterns, ambient washes.

Usually they go near the end of a signal chain, but that's not to say you can't put it anywhere else.

• Members

Typically end of the chain, preferably before a reverb pedal and in an effects loop, though still sounds good in front of an amp. As for the pedal itself, it really depends on your application. Heavy delay user who needs tons of adjustable options and presets? TimeFactor or Timeline. If you don't need that many options, there are more suitable delays like a trusty DD-7, Memory Boy, DE-7, Ibanez AD-9, Carbon Copy, etc.

One of my favorite effects combinations is fuzz with a slow phaser and modulated delay. Nice and murky.

• Members

cheap and good: line 6 echo park, Boss dd-7, Ibanez de-7, and tc flashback or Alter Ego.

I'd also go with one of these. The DD-7 isn't too cheap though impo, but it's a lot of pedal in a small package, and it shoudn't be tooooo pricey used.

Carbon Copy: Really dark repeats, a requierd taste.

Ibanez AD-9: Real nice, but for that kind of money you might as well look at booteek alternatives that do longer delay times.

I'm personally still happy with my DL-4. It does the job, and it's dirt cheap if you look at the competition. It might not be the hippest latest newest thing out there, but dispite the small flaws (vol drop, supposedly unreliable switches,...), it's a great affordable looper and delay modeler in one.

Also still love my DD-5, the reverse mode alone is worth keeping it forever impo.

As for placement: Depends on your amp, and how its fx loop sounds. Dirty delay can sound great, and delay'd dirt too...But if you want a nice dirty tone that doesn't sound messy, and still want the repeats to cut through like they should...A good fx loop can do wonders impo, though most people here don't seem to share that opinion, so...:idk:

If money's not a problem, and you want the whole shabang, but aren't too crazy about menu's and displays....: Empress Superdelay.

• Members

I have to have presets with my delays now. I use my timefactor for a number of sounds: slight rhythmic delay (for choruses/doubling up), solo (with the level boosted a bit) quarter note, dotted eights, reverb, slapback, chorus, chorus delay, man I love the Timefactor.

• Members

Depends on your usage and what sounds are important to you. Do you want that cold digital repeating delay (TF wins here), analog sounds (an actual analog delay wins here), tape sounds (El Cap wins, TL second)?

Do you need to keep in time with your DAW and would like BPM display? Is stereo a must? The Empress Vintage Modified Super Delay should be added to your list if your answer is no to these two questions.

The TL and El Cap still have high used prices relative to their new prices, but everything else can be had much cheaper used. Check the SPAM thread at the top of this forum or make your way over to TGP's emporium section (note: I'm just recommending the Emporium section - don't go anywhere else on that site). :-)

• Members

Very good info Crxsh. I say the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory is legendary and it's worth giving it a try for an analog delay. The only downside is it takes a whole lot of space on your pedal board. TC Electronic Flashback is really good too for a small stompbox with different delay types.

• Members

Well I decided to give the TC Electronic Alter Ego a go. Figured it has some nice delays plus the Echorec and DMM settings even if not 100% accurate will give me some interesting versatility. Paired with the Eventide Space I just got... I should be able to create to interesting movement and depth.

• Members

Curious about the alter ego myself, but I'm currently flooded in delay peds and not at all shopping for another one. At that price point, I would've personally gone with the hardwire, but mainly because of the looper mode. So if you don't need that, good for you, have fun with the sweet delay/verb combo.

Archived