Favorite Guitar Ever thread.

TravvyBear

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah my "it's just moving one wire" comment is a huge oversimplification, but really that's all that it entails in terms of modification.

What I notice is two very important things:

1) No more 'blanket effect' when you turn down your Volume controls - so you don't need a treble bleed cap to keep things clear when you're rolling back. This effectively turns your Volume controls into 'Fat' controls between say 8-10 because you don't really lose that much output but it does have an effect on the impedance leaving the guitar. Using the bridge pup as an example it's like going from a P-90 at full up to a Broadcaster sound at 8 to a '60s Tele at 6. Left 'standard', all you get is progressively darker rolled off trebles.

2) The Tone control is MUCH more interactive with the Volume. It has a small but noticeable effect on the volume output and as such can be used as a 'fine tuning' control to dial in additional clarity while keeping the Volume controls at full up. They of course still act as tone shapers but now they are even more vocal sounding since there is more treble content sticking around.

If you are a player that doesn't use the controls on the guitar, it's pointless to try it - but if you are it's a revelation. At least it was for me.

So I talked to the guy at Feline Guitars today - for Brits, this is them - about 50s wiring for my Studio or Epi. The conversation was beyond me within three sentences - capacitors, oil and paper, rolled-off tone, the effect or lack of it of tapped coils - but it was all immensely seductive, and the entire dialogue resonated in the fathomless caverns of my ignorance.

So, yeah - I'm gonna.

Thing is, these days I'm a non-gigging, axe-acquisitive, ham-fisted singer who thirty years ago learned to play guitar in order to write songs for a band that included a properly gifted guitarist - so, for me, any improvement in the breadth and control of tone is not only a huge vanity thing but also it'll make absolutely no difference to my evident lack of natural talent.

And I'm still gonna.

The indulgence of this kind of impulse is just about the only upside of affluent middle-age.

I've always wanted to try one of those. It's too closely identified with Brian May for me to ever feel comfortable playing one onstage, but if I liked it, I'd consider owning one. IIRC, they have a 24" scale neck. I'm not sure what the thickness and neck profile are like though. :idk:

• Members

So I talked to the guy at Feline Guitars today - for Brits,
- about 50s wiring for my Studio or Epi. The conversation was beyond me within three sentences - capacitors, oil and paper, rolled-off tone, the effect or lack of it of tapped coils - but it was all immensely seductive, and the entire dialogue resonated in the fathomless caverns of my ignorance.

So, yeah - I'm gonna.

Thing is, these days I'm a non-gigging, axe-acquisitive, ham-fisted singer who thirty years ago learned to play guitar in order to write songs for a band that included a properly gifted guitarist - so, for me, any improvement in the breadth and control of tone is not only a huge vanity thing but also it'll make absolutely no difference to my evident lack of natural talent.

And I'm still gonna.

The indulgence of this kind of impulse is just about the only upside of affluent middle-age.

You are awesome. (Your matter-of-factness made me laugh hard.)

• Members

the dusenberg fullerton. this is the best guitar i've ever played and by far the most gorgeous. i will own one some day.

HR1.jpg

second to that is the tele i own. its beautiful, sounds great, and plays great. i won't sell it. with age i feel like it will be outstanding.

IMG_4216.jpg

• Members
Does yours have the '50s wiring scheme? IMO it opens up the guitar so much more and makes the Tone controls MUCH more useful. Mine came wired 'Standard' and Howard suggested I try the '50s mod (it's literally moving one wire on the Volume control from the outside lug to the middle one, easy to reverse if you don't like it) - huge difference.

Well, sure. Think about what you're actually doing with a setup like this. Basically the volume knob is also now a tone knob not just because of impedance but because it's literally been made into a partial tone knob by having series resistance followed by a capacitor to ground in parallel with the output (of course with a variable resistance between ground and the capacitor).

filter_network_of_50s_les_paul.png

Basically that's what you've got x2. CHanging any one of those resistance values is going to change the knee of the filter it creates.

• Members

My American Special Strat. I replaced the Texas Specials with 57/62 Pickups, and added an aged parts kit. It's my 'go to' guitar and the trem works just fine. I have more expensive and supposedly 'better' guitars, but this one just suits me perfectly. Go figure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=347785&d=134

• Members

What is it? I like it.

It is an Italia Mondial II Tobacco burst. Very solid construction, and no technical issues (intonation, fret levels, action, etc) out of the box. Not expensive, but relatively hard to find. Has the humbuckers obviously and a piezo bridge pickup, has two 1/4'' outs. The three controls above the fretboard are an EQ for the piezo.

Archived