Favorite Guitar Ever thread.

TravvyBear

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know you said just one, but screw you.

The greatest strat I've ever heard/played: my AVRI 62 Hot Rod Strat

7203_Fender_Used_62_Hot_Rod_Stratocaster

My AVRI 52NOS FSR Tele

52avri01.jpg

I really really really really want a 1960 TV Yellow Les Paul Special VOS :lolve:

gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-series-1960-

• Members

Sienna sunburst. I always thought that was a cool looking color - especially when it's over a nicely figured ash body. Is that yours? It's very nice.
:)

Yes it is, thanks. Sounds great too. HSS Strats sort of violate my sense of the classic, but they're very versatile.

• Members

I really really really really want a 1960 TV Yellow Les Paul Special VOS :lolve:

gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-series-1960-

Yeah you do!

Friggin' love mine - best guitar I've ever owned. Incredibly versatile, rings like a bell acoustically, the pickups are AMAZING, and it's a featherweight. I've been playing it nonstop since I got it.

I could sell every other guitar I own and be perfectly happy with just this guitar.

IMG_6522.jpg

• Members

Yeah you do!

Friggin' love mine - best guitar I've ever owned. Incredibly versatile, rings like a bell acoustically, the pickups are AMAZING, and it's a featherweight. I've been playing it nonstop since I got it.

I could sell every other guitar I own and be perfectly happy with just this guitar.

IMG_6522.jpg

damn. that's one hell of an endorsement :thu:

• Members

I'd been salivating over Howard and Nic's Specials (Howard's is a Historic I think, Nic's is a CS Murphy-aged) for a long time and I finally just went for it. Had to buy online since nobody around here carries any lefty stuff worth a {censored}. I've been selling off unused gear to pay for it since it's the most expensive piece of kit I've ever bought, but I'm so glad I did - it's the guitar I should have been playing all along.

It can cop so many great sounds besides the big fat barking P-90 raunch -faux Tele stuff, jazzy Grant Green tones, etc. Having the four controls instead of just the two on a Tele is a critical difference.

Just a fabulous instrument that Gibson still does right.

• Members
Yeah you do!

IMG_6522.jpg

I will own a VOS reissue one day, but for now I LOVE my new junior special. It's so versatile. I was taking two guitars to every gig, either strat/tele or strat/les paul, but now I just take the special and aside from the 4th position strat sound I'd like to have for wonderful tonight, it covers every single sound that I need. I love the p90's.

But my alltime favorite is my 335. It's perfect in every way. Gorgeous cleans, nice "hollow" grind with distortion.
DPMy9.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I will own a VOS reissue one day, but for now I LOVE my new junior special. It's so versatile. I was taking two guitars to every gig, either strat/tele or strat/les paul, but now I just take the special and aside from the 4th position strat sound I'd like to have for wonderful tonight, it covers every single sound that I need. I love the p90's.

Does yours have the '50s wiring scheme? IMO it opens up the guitar so much more and makes the Tone controls MUCH more useful. Mine came wired 'Standard' and Howard suggested I try the '50s mod (it's literally moving one wire on the Volume control from the outside lug to the middle one, easy to reverse if you don't like it) - huge difference.

• Members

Does yours have the '50s wiring scheme? IMO it opens up the guitar so much more and makes the Tone controls MUCH more useful. Mine came wired 'Standard' and Howard suggested I try the '50s mod (it's literally moving one wire on the Volume control from the outside lug to the middle one, easy to reverse if you don't like it) - huge difference.

Mine has the standard, and you've extolled the virtues of the '50s wiring scheme to me. I need to try it.

• Members

I've been thinking about doing this. (Or, to be more accurate, getting it done, as I'm no more to be trusted with a soldering iron than with an AK47.)

I found this link, which might be of interest (and I'm sure has been linked before). I don't understand it at all, but I've had a low-orbit satellite designer look at it (honestly) and he says it makes sense within the terms of circuit theory. He's just done it to one of his Les Pauls, and the effect is remarkable.

The guy in the article gives some detail on what's involved (in terms of the explanation, if not the practice). I have no idea whether he's right, but it might be worth discussing amongst those who'd understand the conversation.

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Gibson50s.html

• Members

I've been thinking about doing this. (Or, to be more accurate, getting it done, as I'm no more to be trusted with a soldering iron than with an AK47.)

I found this
, which might be of interest (and I'm sure has been linked before). I don't understand it at all, but I've had a low-orbit satellite designer look at it (honestly) and he says it makes sense within the terms of circuit theory. He's just done it to one of his Les Pauls, and the effect is remarkable.

The guy in the article gives some detail on what's involved (in terms of the explanation, if not the practice). I have no idea whether he's right, but it might be worth discussing amongst those who'd understand the conversation.

Yeah my "it's just moving one wire" comment is a huge oversimplification, but really that's all that it entails in terms of modification.

What I notice is two very important things:

1) No more 'blanket effect' when you turn down your Volume controls - so you don't need a treble bleed cap to keep things clear when you're rolling back. This effectively turns your Volume controls into 'Fat' controls between say 8-10 because you don't really lose that much output but it does have an effect on the impedance leaving the guitar. Using the bridge pup as an example it's like going from a P-90 at full up to a Broadcaster sound at 8 to a '60s Tele at 6. Left 'standard', all you get is progressively darker rolled off trebles.

2) The Tone control is MUCH more interactive with the Volume. It has a small but noticeable effect on the volume output and as such can be used as a 'fine tuning' control to dial in additional clarity while keeping the Volume controls at full up. They of course still act as tone shapers but now they are even more vocal sounding since there is more treble content sticking around.

If you are a player that doesn't use the controls on the guitar, it's pointless to try it - but if you are it's a revelation. At least it was for me.

Archived