Best TWEED simulation pedal?

stunningbabe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by juri

View Post

Amp simulation is different then speaker simulation. All the tweed pedals are supposed to replicate or add 'Tweed Amp' characteristics but the Tech 21 Character Series also has a speaker simulation.

What are the differences? I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe View Post
You can simulate the sound of the amp with a pedal that is designed to run into another amp - basically changing its overall sound to more closely sound like the targeted amp - in this case, an old Fender Tweed. Tweed is actually more an era than a individual amp, but we'll let that slide for now... the point is, the pedal relies on being coupled to an amplifier and speaker to achieve the desired end result.

The Tech 21 Blonde can do that too, but it also has a speaker simulator. In other words, it not only simulates the amplifier, but it can also simulate the coloration that a guitar speaker adds to the equation. This can be switched off when using the pedal with an amp and speaker.

A PA speaker is generally "full range" in its frequency response - it can cover the entire frequency range of human hearing (20Hz - 20kHz) or close to it. An electric guitar amp and speaker typically only cover a much narrower range - from about 100Hz to 6kHz. Over 6kHz, the typical guitar speaker craps out pretty quickly. The Tech 21 has circuitry that you can turn on to simulate the effect of that. That's in addition to simulating the sound of the amplifier. Such speaker simulation can add considerably to the realism of the simulated guitar amp sound when running direct into a mixing board and PA (or recording) system.

Here - you may find this review I wrote on the Tech 21 Blonde interesting. http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2151

• Members

I'd recommend the Tech 21 Blonde as well as the best all around FENDER amp simulator pedal available today. there are certainly many pedals which could likely beat it in several different areas, but over all the Blonde is so incredibly versatile, sounds good direct or into an amp, and takes other dirtboxes well. I've not tried another analog pedal on the market with a competitive price as successfully versatile.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
You can simulate the sound of the amp with a pedal that is designed to run into another amp - basically changing its overall sound to more closely sound like the targeted amp - in this case, an old Fender Tweed. Tweed is actually more an era than a individual amp, but we'll let that slide for now... the point is, the pedal relies on being coupled to an amplifier and speaker to achieve the desired end result.

The Tech 21 Blone can do that too, but it also has a speaker simulator. In other words, it not only simulates the amplifier, but it can also simulate the coloration that a guitar speaker adds to the equation. This can be switched off when using the pedal with an amp and speaker.

A PA speaker is generally "full range" in its frequency response - it can cover the entire frequency range of human hearing (20Hz - 20kHz) or close to it. An electric guitar amp and speaker typically only cover a much narrower range - from about 100Hz to 6kHz. Over 6kHz, the typical guitar speaker craps out pretty quickly. The Tech 21 has circuitry that you can turn on to simulate the effect of that. That's in addition to simulating the sound of the amplifier. Such speaker simulation can add considerably to the realism of the simulated guitar amp sound when running direct into a mixing board and PA (or recording) system.

Here - you may find this review I wrote on the Tech 21 Blonde interesting. http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2151
Just to add to what Phil has said and to put it simply:

The Tech 21 Blonde is the complete package - plug that into your PA system (for live performances) or direct to a recording system (for recording, obviously) and you're good to go: you'll possibly want to add some reverb or ambience so the sound isn't completely dry, and then you can add any other effects to taste (tremolo, delay etc.).

With ALL of the other overdrive pedals mentioned in this thread, you'll need to add another device to take care of the speaker emulation - there are decent, compact options such as a Palmer PDI-09 that can do the job - and you may even feel there is a need to add an EQ pedal/unit to properly shape your tone. As with the Blonde, you may feel that your tone will benefit from a little reverb and then you can add any other effects you want to complement your sound.

There are other all-in-one-box options besides a Tech 21 Blonde, but I haven't personally used anything else that I'd recommend for a 'Tweed' sound. There's an AMT pedal/preamp - the F1 - which is a good (analogue) amp and speaker sim, but that one is based on a Fender Twin sound; it's very clean and less versatile than the Blonde.

There is a budget-friendly copy of the Blonde made by Joyo, "American Sound" iirc, but it doesn't seem to be an exact copy... I tried them side by side and the Joyo seems to be either missing the speaker emulation, or they have set it at a higher frequency - it sounded OK for clean tones, but fizzy when overdriven. The Joyo also had a touch more distortion when maxed, and the overdrive response was different - it broke up earlier on the gain control. I found the Joyo to be best when used as an overdrive pedal in front of another amp (possibly better than the Tech 21 Blonde version 1 - which doesn't have the the switch to turn the speaker sim off - in this application) whereas the genuine Blonde is best when used direct (no amp).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hooya View Post
I know you're a fan of analog, but why has nobody mentioned this as a potential option for you:

http://line6.com/pocketpod/amps.html

?

Also, it looks like the Tech 21 character series has been discontinued.

I built a GT-2 clone and am liking it for my purposes right now.
Why would you presume they've been discontinued? V2 of the pedals is for sale at many major retailers and directly from the Tech 21 web site.

• Members

Sorry, when I searched for "Tech 21 Blonde" all the shopping links I got said they were discontinued. I didn't know there was a "V2" out there.

Looks like the new version is the one that lets you turn the speaker simulation off.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hooya View Post
Sorry, when I searched for "Tech 21 Blonde" all the shopping links I got said they were discontinued. I didn't know there was a "V2" out there.

Looks like the new version is the one that lets you turn the speaker simulation off.
The first series of Character pedals (Blonde, British, California, Liverpool, VT) did not have defeat-able speaker sims; the second series (Oxford, Leeds, Metal) did. The Speaker Sim switch is VERY popular since most people still use character pedals in front of amps. It was a smart decision to release new versions of the Blonde, British, Liverpool, etc. with the switch (v.2).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stunningbabe

View Post

I thought the most ideal way is to put the Reverb pedal last in the chain?

???? I don't exactly understand bow this fits into the context of the thread so far ... but since Tweeds and Blonde/Brown Fenders didn't have built-in reverb, and aren't hi-gain enough to compress the preamp, outboard reverbs were/are placed in front of the amp (reverb in front of the amp is a key surf guitar setup)... But far FAR more commonly delays/echos were used in front of the amp instead of reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
The first series of Character pedals (Blonde, British, California, Liverpool, VT) did not have defeat-able speaker sims; the second series (Oxford, Leeds, Metal) did. The Speaker Sim switch is VERY popular since most people still use character pedals in front of amps. It was a smart decision to release new versions of the Blonde, British, Liverpool, etc. with the switch (v.2).
Just to clarify, all the version 2 pedals have the switch, and none of the version 1 pedals do. However, all of the models that were available in version 1 were also made available in version 2. The only one that it "sold out" (and possibly was never released in V2) is the California, which one rumor said was dropped due to a issue over the use of the wicker cane grill graphic, but IDK for certain. idn_smilie.gif Outside of that model, I'm pretty sure you can still purchase everything else in version 2 - I've reviewed the Blonde, Liverpool and VT Bass, and I'm pretty sure you can still get the British, Oxford, Leeds and US Metal still too.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sa...terseries.html

Quote Originally Posted by scolfax

View Post

Anyone try running the Blonde into the effects return on a tube amp? Would that work?

It should. Of course, that would be bypassing the tube amp's preamp section and substituting the Tech 21. In that situation, you'd normally want to turn the speaker emulation off.

I thought the most ideal way is to put the Reverb pedal last in the chain?
Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
???? I don't exactly understand bow this fits into the context of the thread so far ... but since Tweeds and Blonde/Brown Fenders didn't have built-in reverb, and aren't hi-gain enough to compress the preamp, outboard reverbs were/are placed in front of the amp (reverb in front of the amp is a key surf guitar setup)... But far FAR more commonly delays/echos were used in front of the amp instead of reverb.
I agree. There's no law that says you have to put reverb last in the chain. That's usually the way it is when it's built into your guitar amp, but as Wyatt pointed out, back when those now-old Fenders from the early 60s were pumping out brand new Surf hits, the reverb units weren't built-in, they were add-ons that you plugged the guitar into, then plugged the reverb's output into your guitar amp - much like we use pedals today.

I personally like reverb last as a general rule because it more closely replicates the way sound behaves in the real world around us. Inside a large room, we first hear short echoes called early reflections, then the reverb hits... for that reason, I normally run verb after delay. As far as any of this stuff goes, it's all subjective and totally up to your own creative muse and judgement. I constantly throw the rules out if it gives us the sound we're after in the studio, so if you want to flange the reverb's output and then feed that into a delay, be my guest. smile.gif

• Members

Here's another vote for the Lovepedal Les Luis (or is it Lius...?). At first I wasn't fond of the "preset minimum distortion" level at the lowest setting, but like the real thing, it cleans up nicely when you roll off the guitar's volume knob. It has a setting for either Tweed Twin or Tweed Deluxe or a combination of both. Then there's the adjustable distortion boost side. The Lovepedal video on their site describes everything best.

Archived