Escaped alive, though the car was battered

Rat-a-tat-tatered and all the cops scattered

Ran out of bullets and he still had static

Grabbed the pregnant lady and pulled out the automatic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man that is {censored}ing nutty! I wish I had more to say other than at least more people didn't die.

Quote Originally Posted by 4nd3h

View Post

Wait that guy killed himself in his bathtub, not onstage.

He wasn't in a bathtub brah, even had all is clothes on. That record cover is the definition of kvlt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I was in shock for several weeks there, and I was definitely afraid to come and see what you guys did to me in this thread.

But actually you guys got me laughing pretty hard! Which is good...

I've been *SLAVING* over finishing this album, 10 hrs a day at my job then come home for another 5 or 6 mixing, listening, etc. It was a good thing that I had a project like that right in front of me, good healthy therapy. I think I'm mailing it to the mastering house tomorrow. It might be the best of the three, even my mixing is better.

I know you guys laugh at some of his lyrics, (and I'm re-evaluating some of it myself), but there was some true talent there. A great deal of the GenPool songs are one-off ad-libs, not only the band was making it up, but Irish was, too. His hero at the time was Little Wayne, who famously freestyled everything. That's what Irish wanted to be.

Meaning Sgt. Slaughter, Rouge River, Goddess, MOST of the stuff on this new record, its all off the top of his (and our) head(s) - Can YOU do that? The band didn't talk about Goddess, for instance, the guitar player started noodling this little riff, I jumped in on drums, bass player jumped in, and a few minutes later Irish is singing something. You can hear all of that on the track. Its not gonna win us a grammy, but that's a real moment of both pure creative freedom and good old teamwork. And the tape happened to be rolling for it. There aren't any overdubs on the GenPool band albums, this is us honestly rocking out. I'm really proud of that. I didn't know how to play drums when we started that band, by the time of this new Suicide By Cop album, I'm tearing {censored} up!

I've got a guy at my job following me around, getting goosebumps when he talks about the My Own Battlefield album, how the songs are in his head 24-7, how I'm a "real" musician because I played everything and made it sound so professional, how Irish deserves to be let free... Its been really weird.

And of course people bought some CDs and downloads. If that's some of you guys reading this, I thank you.

Overall, though, I'm pretty sure that I DO NOT want to do any more "dark" music. These 3 albums are almost meditations on what came later. That's not really me anyway, those are his words and themes, but now I see, stay away from that stuff. In general this event has made me rethink A LOT of stuff in my life that I just kind of took for granted, or just ignored.

I said it in another thread, about a Donald Goines book, DOPEFIEND. As far as I'm concerned, "the universe" sent me that book, and reading it and taking it seriously probably saved my life (10 weeks later Dude went crazy). If YOU know someone that's got any kind of dependence problems, I wholeheartedly suggest you get that book (a local detroit writer from the 70's, lots of his books are movies you'd know). You might decide to act differently than I did when *your* time comes to act (and it probably will), but at least you'll be warned. Chilling stuff. Very sad.

I think I have an idea of what Irish was up to at the cottage (I've been out to that place several times with him over the years, that kind of freaks me out). My gut tells me that it could have been worse, more people truly could have gotten hurt.

Thankfully they didn't.

• Members

I thought about the "all proceeds" thing. But then I remembered, this is 2012, no one's buying music enough to HAVE proceeds. But if for some reason these things started selling, I'm not against that at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the family sues Irish's family in a civil suit, or something.

Olle, I was not there, but his girlfriend told me everything - she showed me some pictures, man, some of them will never leave my head. (There was a story going around work for a while that the SECOND car he stole, he pistol-whipped an old man and took it. That, apparently, is NOT true). There were 3 brothers there, not two. Two were on the front/lakeside deck, that's who Irish came out after.

The third brother though, (and this chilled me when I really understood it) was ON THE PHONE with Irish's dad in the back of the house at THAT moment - Old Man heard the gunshots go off, heard the phone drop when the guy went running to see what was happening - these people were old friends of the dad, he HEARD his SON kill his FRIEND! Apparently Irish let off most of a clip, (don't know what kinda gun, probably a 9mm).

• Members

Even if it sells very little, its a great gesture, and would win you karma points that might translate into further appreciation by people.

I'm sure the family would love the $132.09 in blood money generated by songs like Sgt. Slaughter and others dreamed up while home-skillet was in a homicidal haze.

• Members

So has the motive or other circumstances been released yet? Can't lie, morbid curiosity kicks in.

I thought about the "all proceeds" thing. But then I remembered, this is 2012, no one's buying music enough to HAVE proceeds.

Good point. For most of us, even if we sell more than a few dozen albums, we're not going to recoup money equal to the time or energy that went into it. I'm sure it's a really weird thing, selling the music....but are you supposed to bury it and not make a few bucks back for the time spent recording it? I don't think so.

Archived