Who are you going to vote for in 2012?

Ryan.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The amount of Obama hate in Kentucky is insane. That's largely due to recent regulations on coal mining (which is a huge source of the state's income).

Yea, there's a lot of "Stop Obama's War On Coal" signs everywhere in rural PA. Honestly, natural gas drilling is going to make coal obsolete no matter what regulations there are or aren't on coal.

• Members

Yea, there's a lot of "Stop Obama's War On Coal" signs everywhere in rural PA. Honestly, natural gas drilling is going to make coal obsolete no matter what regulations there are or aren't on coal.

Same here. And that's exactly what people don't understand. People are going with natural gas because it's cheaper, cleaner, and ease of extraction. Not because it's a "war on coal." People here just need to realize that they put all their eggs in one basket and it worked well for along time. That times is now over.

• Members

Yeah. Being in West Virginia, this war on coal {censored} is insane, and I don't think anybody really understands it.

Murray Energy (which is an Ohio company) is in charge of a lot of the {censored} here and has put so much money into politicians to "fight against these government regulation ruining our business and economy and blah blah blah." A lot of these regulations are in mining safety and protections against black lung. It doesn't make any sense to me because with all the money this dude spends on paying off politicians, he could just fix his goddamn mines.

The fact is that coal is taking its natural course and is thankfully becoming obsolete. These states don't make {censored} from it anyways, hence us being one of the poorest states, but there's a phenomenon around here called "Appalachian fatalism" in which we think that this is what we do and it is what things should and will always be. Let's just find a new way to make actual money and move the {censored} on.

• Members

Yeah. Being in West Virginia, this war on coal {censored} is insane, and I don't think anybody really understands it.

Murray Energy (which is an Ohio company) is in charge of a lot of the {censored} here and has put so much money into politicians to "fight against these government regulation ruining our business and economy and blah blah blah." A lot of these regulations are in mining safety and protections against black lung. It doesn't make any sense to me because with all the money this dude spends on paying off politicians, he could just fix his goddamn mines.

The fact is that coal is taking its natural course and is thankfully becoming obsolete. These states don't make {censored} from it anyways, hence us being one of the poorest states, but there's a phenomenon around here called "Appalachian fatalism" in which we think that this is what we do and it is what things should and will always be. Let's just find a new way to make actual money and move the {censored} on.

I'm going to just start reading the people here this post to sum up my sentiment. With all of the money that the coal companies make, they could have easily invested in researching alternative energy. Put we're too stupid to think like that.

• Members

mike gravel has almost as good of a chance as mitt romney at this point

You'd think his latest gaffe meant he finally {censored} the one bed too expensive for him to just buy a new one, but GWB was a two term president and the 'legitimate rape' guy is still in it in his race. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if we look at the polls in two weeks and Romney's only losing the popular vote by 2% instead of 1%

Archived