Who enjoys playing acoustic?

RUExp?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm primarily an acoustic player. This is what I use:

DSCN0045.jpg

It's a Guild GAD M20. No, I didn't get one to be Nick Drake (seriously, he never even owned an M20. Look it up if you don't believe me). I bought it because I really like how it sounds. There's something about the small body, mahogany top, and shorter scale that go together very well when paired with the right strings. I play with my fingertips, and it just sounds lovely.

I love Hog acoustics - the mids are so nice.

• Members

I love Hog acoustics - the mids are so nice.

Oh, I'm all about mids, both with acoustic and electric guitars. As far as acoustics go, I'm not really a big fan of popluar styles like standard dreadnoughts or super jumbos because they tend to favor bass and/or treble too much for me. Ideally a like guitars with a fairly balanced sound overall, but a little bit of emphasis in the mids; it's why my favorite styles are smaller bodied guitars, stuff with hog tops, and round shouldered jumbos, like the J-45/J-50.

• Members

Here's my acoustic - OM body/Dreadnought sized neck. Sitka spruce top, Peruvian walnut back/sides, maple binding. I'm really happy with the sound and feel of it, and it'll only get better with age.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Here's a good shot of the back and sides
0102021719-1.jpg

I've also got a Takamine dreadnought cutaway that's about ten years old. Sounds and feels fantastic!

• Members

I pretty much play acoustic only now. Electric is so much fun for pretty chords and fuzz etc, but when im writing im acoustic. I've got the best acoustic ever.
I must have played 30-40 acoustics and this one was the only one i really really loved. It actually beat out a Gibson J165 which was marked at 1k.

This is the love of my life right here.
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_430665.010_natural_V.jpg

• Members
I have some V-Picks - they're awful for acoustics, IMO. Like playing with a stone pick.

Really? I quite like my V-Pick with acoustic (I think it's the OG V-Pick). It took some getting used to for strumming (where a , but I feel like I get better tone, more bass and better note separation with the V-Pick. It might be that it does more favours to a cheap lam-back/sides box like mine than to a more expensive (and therefore likely better-sounding) acoustic :idk:

• Members

I will let you let me try your awesome acoustic guitar over a jar of pickled delights and a cold beer.

Just completed in the past 2 weeks:

50 lbs of hot dills

25 lbs of hot green beans

80 lbs of pickled beets

3 jars of okra

9 jars of pickled eggs (new recipe for this year....unsure as to the outcome...RoboFarts fer sure)

one seriously pickled brain.

...this is almost 200 lbs short of my target for dills...but it was a crap growing year, and moving my biz kinda got all my attention til just now.

I need to make a pdx trip soon.

• Members

I'm at the lower budget end with my acoustics but still play one of them every day. I currently play an Epiphone Masterbilt DR500P, which they quit making for some reason and an Alvarez SC160-12 12 string. Both sound great for $500 acoustics.

acoustics.jpg

Archived