Who enjoys playing acoustic?

RUExp?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BG76 dat J-45 and dem Martins :love:

I love playing acoustic. It's pretty much all I play unless I'm practicing with the band or playing a show.

I've got a little Ibanez like this (not my picture)

EW20ASENT.gif

And a beat up Hohner that looks something like this

ho-hw220.jpg

I also have a cool old sunburst Stella, but that has become completely unusable due to the bracing falling off and the top warping.

• Members

I do - mine's a 1994 Gibson Montana Gospel:

rigshot0612-2.jpg

Its loud - arched back with no bracing (like an ES-175) so it projects like a sumbitch. It's fairly balanced overall - but if I dig in too hard it compresses and can get messy. I'm itching for a smaller bodied guitar with a little tighter attack like a J-45, but this one has been pretty good to me from day one so I've not done much about replacing it. I use an old Sunrise S-1 and a LR Baggs Para DI when going through a PA - such a great combo.

• Members

I have a bunch of acoustic guitars.

I go through phases where I play more acoustic then electric but I like playing both:

Here is the main one I play. 1959 Martin with the Brazilian back and sides:

397022_329012327133344_131784907_n.jpg

Here are some other ones I like:

60s J-45 and 70s Guild D-55

169050_183534271681151_7264556_n.jpg

Damn.

The best acoustic I've ever been in the same room with was Peter Yarrow's 12-fret Martin (no idea the year or model but I think it was a 00 style). Man that thing had it all - piano-y bass, lots of air in the trebles, perfect mids. I talked with him about it and he said it was because of that 12-fret join - it puts the bridge right in the sweet spot of the top. If you think about it, the top of a guitar is really a lot like a drum head - a 12-fretter is like like stiking the head right in the middle, and a 14-er is like hitting it closer to the rim.

Gibson makes killer 12-fretter, the Jackson Browne sig model. I heard Jonathan Wilson with one a few months back and it was a phenomenal sounding guitar.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Jackson-Browne-Signature.aspx

• Members

Damn.

The best acoustic I've ever been in the same room with was Peter Yarrow's 12-fret Martin (no idea the year or model but I think it was a 00 style). Man that thing had it all - piano-y bass, lots of air in the trebles, perfect mids. I talked with him about it and he said it was because of that 12-fret join - it puts the bridge right in the sweet spot of the top. If you think about it, the top of a guitar is really a lot like a drum head - a 12-fretter is like like stiking the head right in the middle, and a 14-er is like hitting it closer to the rim.

Gibson makes killer 12-fretter, the Jackson Browne sig model. I heard Jonathan Wilson with one a few months back and it was a phenomenal sounding guitar.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Jackson-Browne-Signature.aspx

Yeah, Gibson makes some good guitars. Peter Yarrow is a great guitar player, so is the other guy Paul. If you really want to try a fantastic guitar I have an old Martin O size from the 1800s.

If you really want to be blown away then you have to get one of these - which probably weigh a pound and a half. If you can find one.

406568_2964490640225_1075311756_n.jpg

Of course no collection of acoustics is complete without this:

151018_1713610489003_1703901_n.jpg

• Members

Yeah, Gibson makes some good guitars. Peter Yarrow is a great guitar player, so is the other guy Paul. If you really want to try a fantastic guitar I have an old Martin O size from the 1800s.

If you really want to be blown away then you have to get one of these - which probably weigh a pound and a half. If you can find one.

406568_2964490640225_1075311756_n.jpg

Of course no collection of acoustics is complete without this:

151018_1713610489003_1703901_n.jpg

My roommate has a D-45 that looks fairly similar to that one (although with 6 less strings of course). It's a beautiful guitar and sounds pretty good, though it does seem to lack something in the bass. I can't stand the neck on it though. It feels very wide and uncomfortable to me.

YMMV as Phil would say.

• Members

My roommate has a D-45 that looks fairly similar to that one (although with 6 less strings of course). It's a beautiful guitar and sounds pretty good, though it does seem to lack something in the bass. I can't stand the neck on it though. It feels very wide and uncomfortable to me.

YMMV as Phil would say.

Yeah, I didn't know Guild made a D-45. I have a Guild D-55 (the fancy one above) but the neck isn't wide, it's kind of like an old Gretsch neck.

Here is the really old Martin I have (the tiny one). It's a killer. The guitar next to it looks big, but it's a 12 fret 00.

167706_183534928347752_3002414_n.jpg

• Members

Yer killin' me BG76. lol

Can we talk picks?

I was (still am at times but REALLY working on it) a ham-fisted basher on any guitar I played. But especially on acoustics for some stupid reason. Was jamming with a friend once who finally set me straight and said I needed to lay waaay back on my attack and the guitar would open up and sound HUGE if I did. Seemed counter-intuitive to me - I mean how can something get louder if I play more quietly, right? Sure enough - I lightened up on my attack and the guitar sounded 2x bigger. All that bass I was losing to the top over-compressing when I hit it hard came back and sounded massive. The trebles were clearer and louder too. Everything was more balanced - no smearing, tighter attack, lots more air to the sound.

So I chucked my heavy 1.00 Tortex picks and started using medium thickness Herco Flex 75 nylons - the clarity difference was pretty hard to ignore.

If you're a basher like me, just try it - you'll be amazed at the difference.

• Members

I always use the Fender mediums or else I play with my fingers. I hear good things about those fancy V Pick or something, I have been using the same ones since I started but they did change them in the late 90s.

• Members

I always use the Fender mediums or else I play with my fingers. I hear good things about those fancy V Pick or something, I have been using the same ones since I started but they did change them in the late 90s.

I have some V-Picks - they're awful for acoustics, IMO. Like playing with a stone pick.

I'd really like to work on my finger-picking chops - horrid at that, embarrassed to say.

• Members

I love acoustics! My martin actually gets far more play time than any of my electrics these days. Here's my HD-28. I've had a ton of other acoustics in the past, but they never really sound like my Martin. The Neil Young fanboy in me won't allow anything but martin dreads in my house. Maybe a guild 12 string is in my future

hd-28.jpg

• Members

Psh.. Didn't realize this be brag about your acoustics. Here is mine. Made by a luthier in California.

photo-5.jpg

Very very nice. Spruce top & Rosewood back and sides?

May I ask what's going on at the soundhole? That doesn't look like a feedback elimator/

• Members

I'm primarily an acoustic player. This is what I use:

DSCN0045.jpg

It's a Guild GAD M20. No, I didn't get one to be Nick Drake (seriously, he never even owned an M20. Look it up if you don't believe me). I bought it because I really like how it sounds. There's something about the small body, mahogany top, and shorter scale that go together very well when paired with the right strings. I play with my fingertips, and it just sounds lovely.

Archived