OT: Have any of you learned a language as an adult? How did you go about it?

Loobs

• Members

At the moment, I'm training to be an ESL teacher. It's really inspired me to learn another language, and I feel at a huge disadvantage not being able to speak a second language. I had training at school, same as everybody, but it's long since been forgotten. Have any of you learnt a language as an adult? Which? Tell me your experiences doing so, if you please.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

japanese in my 20s and korean in my 30s and spots of hawaiian pidgin even now...

you have to have something to connect you to the culture of that language. thats why they say having a bf/gf from that country

is the best way, instant connection.

mine, for japanese, was pedals, for real, i just piggybacked korean to japanese, since theyre similar languages. I learned how to barter and go to junk shops.

everything else came from that.

• Members

I'd quite like to do this myself. I did French and German at school, and honestly I don't think I could even remember to count to ten in either language anymore.

My wife used to work for the NHS, and she reckons there's work to be had as a translator if you're fluent in any language, but it's more useful to learn something that is commonly spoken by immigrants over here... like one of the Aisian languages etc. Freelance translators earn

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982

View Post

I'd quite like to do this myself. I did French and German at school, and honestly I don't think I could even remember to count to ten in either language anymore.

My wife used to work for the NHS, and she reckons there's work to be had as a translator if you're fluent in any language, but it's more useful to learn something that is commonly spoken by immigrants over here... like one of the Aisian languages etc. Freelance translators earn

• Members

i lived in the countries and was interested in pedals, so I had to talk to the people to get the info.

that may be a big point, i lived outside of my country and comfort zone. learning a new language is a new mindset and a bit of a head{censored}.

you cant speak japanese, or chinese, or urdu in your current mindset, you have to learn to think and react in a different way, like a native

of that language would. I think thats a big hurdle for most people. I never took one class. I just had some textbooks and dived in, mistake after mistake.

im still not a fluent speaker, but im more than functional in both, and i do my business and make my living using both of them at different times.

I think you, if you are to stay in your own country, have to set your goals of what you want to learn, what you want to do with it, and what you want to get out of it.

For me, I wanted to talk about guitars and stuff, and I ended up dating some lovely women who influenced my life to this day, as well as some other things, same in Korean. you never know where it will take you.

what language do you want to learn? if you are an ESL teacher, you may realise that alot of students are taking it to pass tests/get certificates/etc and not

to use it to branch out and such. some will, most wont. thats not your problem. you teaching and you learning are two different unrelated animals.

thats said, until my dying days, i have some increidble stories that i can proudly say are only related to me and what i know. its a rush and a half

• Members

Some online courses might be helpful, but nothing beats conversations on a daily basis. My wife is learning Portuguese, she can understand pretty much everything but the speaking is harder, usually a couple pints work wonders for that.

both music and films/series with subtitles helped me a lot when I was learning English.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by oinkbanana

View Post

no you don't. but it helps (depends on the job you want i guess)

Yeah. I want to teach English, since I'll have a qualification to do so. I've been researching it and there seems to be a number of English language schools in the city. Might not be the best place in the world to do this since French is the number one language, but I think I'll have a better time in Montreal (been briefly before, loved it) than other Canadian cities.

Toronto and Vancouver are other options, but Montreal seems a lot more reasonable in terms of living expenses, and nearly everybody I've spoken to says it's a way better place to live than Toronto. As well as teaching English, I'd also like to work a job in a bar or something, to get to know people.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL

View Post

Are you going to learn to speak Canadian?

well, I've tried but, uh, let me show you:

A ..... aaaaay .... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

see, I just can't the pronounciation right.

In my early 20's I had to learn ASL...the company had a deaf guy and they said 'you're working with him...learn it or find another job'.

Emersion tech worked....8 hours a day and i was doin pretty good in 2 weeks. I still remember a surprising amount.

• Members

I learned Japanese in my mid-thirties. It was tough for me, being that old, but I'm a stubborn bastard.

I entered a tough immersion program at a pretty good university - one year, 8 hours a day. It was just speaking in class (4 a day), doing drills (about 6 hours a day), etc. I knew that would be the only way I could learn, as I am not great with languages. As soon as I was finished with that, I came immediately to Japan and have been here ever since. I think it's best if you have some sort of connection with the target language's culture. I love Japanese literature and culture - and women (believe me, that REALLY helped), so I pushed myself to really learn the language. The first time I came here I didn't know jack-{censored} and was wallowing around, hating it. With some language study under my belt, I felt like I was coming home the next time I came here. Good luck, Loobs. Believe me, if I can do it then anyone can do it.

• Members

Thanks man. I think some intense classes for the year before I leave and then more when I get there should stand me in pretty good stead. Apparently the Quebec government over free French immersion courses to immigrants. Is that true oink?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by seifukusha

View Post

you have to have something to connect you to the culture of that language. thats why they say having a bf/gf from that country

is the best way, instant connection.

Or, as Ben Franklin said, "Get a dictionary that you can take to bed with you."

• Members

There are many, many theories concerning effective language acquisition for adults but the one writer has summarised it well:

3 Essential conditions:

- Motivation

- Exposure

- Use

1 Desirable:

- Formal instruction

So what people have said about being immersed in the target culture is without question the best approach - just not particularly practical unless you live abroad. This is how I've learned...sorry, have been learning, Hungarian...and I'm let down by using English with colleagues and wife (though using Hungarian with her family, and for everyday transactional needs).

What EFL course are you doing? I hope it's one worth the paper it's printed on e.g. the CELTA.

• Members

I attended the defense language institute in Monterey in my early 20's. I was in the Russian basic program and it was anything but basic. 40 hours a week of classes with about 20 hours of homework which included work books, essays, and audio cassette translating. About 20 words learned daily with daily tests and comprehensive tests every Friday and two whole days of testing at the end of each month.

If you want proficiency I recommend the school, but unless you are military or government it costs an arm and a leg to get in.

12 years later and with no consistant use of the language, I would say I'm not fluent at all, but while I was using the language I was doing very well at gist reporting.

• Members

Thanks man. I think some intense classes for the year before I leave and then more when I get there should stand me in pretty good stead. Apparently the Quebec government
over
free French immersion courses to immigrants. Is that true oink?

offer?

maybe you should learn english first. I kid

I wouldn't doubt that they do offer free courses in french.

I'm jealous, that's one of the only cities I would move to.

you're right about Vancouver, it's an overpriced city.

I liked Toronto a lot, as a visitor, don't know what it would be like to live there.

Archived