OT: Have any of you learned a language as an adult? How did you go about it?

Loobs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelleman

View Post

I began learning Spanish when I started in university, although I also have a very high level of French and lower levels of German and Irish.

There were various breakthroughs as I was learning it but it really took about 3 years before I could easily converse with most people about most subjects in a meaningful way. It's been five years now and I feel that I am essentially fluent.

Having experience in language learning and language teaching, I would say that formal instruction is essential as there are many structures that you just can't pick up through immersion. At the same time, there comes a point where class becomes less and less beneficial and you simply have to go out and use the language properly.

It seems silly to say it but avoiding other non-native speakers while you're learning can be a good step. In my experience of Spanish learning groups of non-native speakers, especially Erasmus students, tend to speak a 'skeleton' version of the language where important structures like the subjunctive mood and different past tenses are abandoned. People can understand each other but it's just wrong!

Yeah, I agree. I know that knowing the form of the language really helps some of my students, probably just as much as the conversation with native English speakers. If they know how the sentences are constructed they seem a lot more confident in using that language.

Archived