Cheap condenser mic (PHIL?)

Taylor.

• Members

I want to throw together a cheap setup to record vocals, my amp, and my acoustic guitar with. I want a good all-rounder condenser for like, $100. What's out there? Initial research points towards a Cad M179, Audio Technica AT3035, or MXL V67G, but who knows. snacks.gif

Edit: heck, while you're at it you may as well throw some ~$100 audio interfaces my way. M Audio Mobile Pre looks decent enough and a friend whose opinion I trust recommends it, anything else I should look at?

• Members

I had a CAD M177 (which I believe to be identical to the M179 but with less features) and it was a great cheap condenser... I highly recommend it. I let a bandmate borrow it and it came back broken =(.

You could also try to find a used Oktava M319 or M219 which could be a great investment since you can have it modded once you are ready to upgrade instead of just buying a new mic.

• Members

I'm not at all an expert on the subject, but my AT 4040 has been good to me. Used it as a room mic (mixed results, never really had a nice sounding room), on acoustic guitars, vocals, guitar cabs,...

Edit: Missed the part where you mensioned the $100 limit, srry. I think I paid more than that for the AT4040.

• Members

I did a lot of research on this recently... wound up buying a used Audio Technica AT2035 for $75 on TGP and getting a new, price-matched Focusrite 2i2 interface for $109. The interface has worked really well so far and I'm also thrilled with the mic. The M179 had been at the top of my list as well, but I couldn't turn down the deal on the AT. So I pair that w/ my Sennheiser e609 and have been very pleased thus far.

You can also get some decent Whirlwind XLR's here for $5 shipped. smile.gif

• Members

m179. Adjustable patterns that are not stepped. As far as Audio interfaces, that's a tough call. On the cheap as you desire, you get what you pay for. Drivers, OS compatibility etc is always a concern.

I would get one that you can get by with but with the notion of you saving for a decent mic pre. That is as important as the mic you chose.

Archived