6v6's in a hot rod deluxe?

echodeluxe

• Members

I've been doing a lot of thinking and trying stuff out and I think I've landed on the hot rod deluxe as the amp I'm gonna downsize (not downgrade) to..its smaller, lighter, I've owned one and I know I like the way it sounds, I've repaired them so I know them well, and they are readily available.

I've read a bunch of stuff online about underage d00ds using 6v6's in hrds with great results. Anyone here doin that? What's it doin for you?

Looks like with a proper bias and maybe a jump up in value for the screen resistors that it may be a mod I'm down to do. Lower headroom, less low end (hrds are {censored}ing bassy), nicer power tube saturation.

What say you?

• Members

6v6s have different output impedance than 6L6s. So, make sure if you are willing to mod it that it isn't just getting the tube current draw correct.

Not just that, you have to be careful which 6V6 you buy.

Older 6V6/6V6GC types have a much lower rated plate voltage. HRDs put out 400V+ to the plates, which 6L6GC's can handle no problem. But you will want a more modern 6V6GC that can handle up to ~500V like a 6L6GC.

The filament current is also half of what a 6L6 draws, and this might cause the power supply to drift higher. So it might put out 450V instead of, say, 415V like it did with a 6L6GC. Even more reason to pay attention to what your new 6V6 can actually do. And modding the screen resistors won't help for this situation.

With this and the impedance thing, just get an amp that was designed for 6V6's.

• Members

Eurotubes.com

The hrd will be just fine with 6v6's. Bob at eurotubes has been setting folks up with jj6v6 sets for their hot rods since like 2001 or something with no one reporting issues. I think the potential problems are theoretical and in practice aren't an issue so much as a possible concern.

In fact, I know there are dudes here who have been using a hrd for a couple years with 6v6's with no issues. I mainly made the thread to get opinions on the sound and feel of the amp after swapping.

• Members

Older 6V6/6V6GC types have a much lower rated plate voltage. HRDs put out 400V+ to the plates, which 6L6GC's can handle no problem. But you will want a more modern 6V6GC that can handle up to ~500V like a 6L6GC.

The filament current is also half of what a 6L6 draws, and this might cause the power supply to drift higher. So it might put out 450V instead of, say, 415V like it did with a 6L6GC. Even more reason to pay attention to what your new 6V6 can actually do. And modding the screen resistors won't help for this situation.

This sorta. The filament current is half, but that will only let your filament voltage go up a bit.

Between the impedance mismatch soundling like crap, and the high voltages, I'd never consider using old-stock "real" 6V6GT/A tubes in this application.

Allegedly the JJ tubes can handle the abuse, but why lug around a now over-heavy-for-the-wattage amp that doesn't really sound all that good, even when it's run correctly.

This

Putting 6V6s into an amp that is designed to run 6L6s is not a simple matter of swapping tubes and a part here or there. Classic 6V6 tubes just can't handle the same plate voltages as a 6L6. I also agree with the comments about the HRD sounding good unmodified. If you want a "Deluxe" with 6V6s in it, I'd recommend a DRRI or SFDR... or maybe a PRII or DRII.

• Members

umm its a matter of artistic focus here, am i going over your head?

Umm...it's an effects board, so no...it's not a matter of artistic focus HERE...HERE the focus is on effects...or did that fact go over your head? :idk:

And unless your art consists of making music with your voice or thumping on your chest, clapping your hands, etc., if your art involves music, at some point it requires you to focus on some sort of gear. Stop being so obtuse. :o

• Members

focus on gear and get it right and out of the way FIRST OFF AND BE DONE WITH IT!!! NO {censored} its important spare no expense to get it right but...get it {censored}in right (THE FIRST TIME) and nailed down then move on into the music. If you constantly half ass your gear(especially your amp, amp is basic building block important) you catch yourself in that loop of well its not quite right if i just {censored} with this....and be forever perpetually focused on gear not music.

• Members

cuz were a community here to help each other, not out do each other ,

obviously its amp OCD, he's like rainman, throwing a spasm, omg my amp needs moar drama and attention ... im suprised he doesnt have a bumper sticker on the ript grill cloth of his silver face princeton reverb that reads K mart sucks! and a jonathan livingston seagull fake plastic lunch box sitting on top of said amplifier, with a six pack of juice boxes, ready to jam for us all .

• Members

Your help is not help. It's just annoying. Therewith no amp drama, you're just making {censored} up in your drug addled head. This is a musicians gear forum. We discuss gear. I'm getting a smaller amp for legit reasons. You have a small and oddly shaped dick. Don't be mad, seek help.

Archived