All Hail the EHX Small Stone

Aristotle

• Members

My bassist has second from right, bottom row. Thats a "j" ? He semi took it apart and now its bleeding through even when off. also led doesnt work. I have a bag of spare leds, and can read a schematic, just want to make sure I look for the right thing to figure out how to fix it. Grounding issue?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AxAxSxS

View Post

My bassist has second from right, bottom row. Thats a "j" ? He semi took it apart and now its bleeding through even when off. also led doesnt work. I have a bag of spare leds, and can read a schematic, just want to make sure I look for the right thing to figure out how to fix it. Grounding issue?

Other than the Nano and one of the ones from the 70's - I think the second from the right on the top row - all small stones are essentially 'version j'. Granted, the components on the boards may be laid out differently and there are slight differences in component values but they are essentially the same circuit.

If you can read a schematic you should be good, just study the thing really well before making any mods as the insides are fragile. You'll lift a trace and rip a wire in a second if you're not careful.

I agree with phil that 'bleeding through' sounds like a switch issue. If you think you can read the schematic well enough I'd recommend sticking a 3pdt switch in there regardless.

• Members

dude from tame impala uses a nano. nano is just fine, sounds close enough, but if you've got the choice go with the big box, imo. for the volume drop i've found if you place it after a pedal with a buffer it's not so bad, and i think like most pedals that appear to have a drop, it actually helps to have it a little lower becuase of the boomy sweep.

• Members

Love it so much! I have a black russian and a latter big box v4. Love both.

Mine has the switch up lately, and it's more time on than off when jamming. Ha!

One trick I find really interesting. Don't mod the pedal, it would change its character. What I do is to have a stereo split (delay pedal) before the Small Stone, so just one side has the Small Stone on. Send it to two amps, so one has the normal guitar and the other one is with phaser. Absolutely amazing, as you can hear all the phaser going on and also don't lose the frequencies of the normal sound of your guitar, and there's no perceptible volume drop.

Want a green russian now.

Archived