Best buy of the year?

KoskineN

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My 1957 Gretsch 6120 I bought in an antique shop with the amp, cowboy case and strap. Not a mark on the guitar, case and original glass and even the replacement fuse envelope unopened on the inside of the amp.

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0042-1.jpg

DSCN0019-2.jpg

DSCN0030-1.jpg

Or I traded someone a Cyber amp for this dead mint RE-201 with the original cover, manual, cleaning kit, etc... Needed a good cleaning.

2012-10-27000635.jpg

2012-10-27000755.jpg

2012-10-27170607.jpg

• Members

Only gear purchases this year (and pretty much since '06) are a Lovetone Doppelganger and a Cheese Source.

Both amazing. Best buy would be the Doppelganger purely because I got an amazing deal on it; it's a V2 (ie. w/ the square wave and slow LFO1 switches) and I got it for $650.00 w/box and manual.

• Members

Pedal wise it's a toss-up. My SUF Pi has fulfilled by muff needs indefinitely, and my AD4096 and catalinbread echorec kick all sorts of ass. So does my eleclady. Damn I bought too many pedals this year.

Guitar wise my blueridge br-18 wins hands down

• Members

Pedal wise it's a toss-up. My SUF Pi has fulfilled by muff needs indefinitely, and my AD4096 and catalinbread echorec kick all sorts of ass. So does my eleclady. Damn I bought too many pedals this year.

Guitar wise my blueridge br-143a wins hands down

(Only pic so far)

2FC0A702-FB9D-438C-B42E-E49F237745E2-263

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

I am also super excited about picking up an EHX EH-R1 Ribbon microphone with the SM-1 shockmount. Phil recommended that I also pick up a Cloudlifter Z for it. Using those with an EHX 12AY7 Mic Pre has become my go-to vocal recording setup.

FMU166.rev_ehx.opnr-640-80.jpg

CLZ_2.jpg

That Cloudlifter Z is such a must-have accessory for anyone who owns a passive ribbon mic. HIGHLY recommended! Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyFingers

View Post

Its funny how looking back you realize how much crap you acquire in a short timeframe.

Boutique pedals: Octophant (of course), Scored a bunch of gems from small builders here on HCFX, enough to build a board out of - Made by Mike, Lowbrow, Blakemore, Aaron, Drasp, Mid-Fi, etc

Non-boutique pedals: iStomp, BD-2, SD-1, PH-1r, CE-2, DM-3, PN-2

Amp: Custom made 5e3 head

Guitar: Squire Mascis JM

Bass: Double bass / upright bass / bass fiddle love.gif

edit: I've added to this post at least 4 times, I think I need a gear buying vacation in 2013.

seriously man, i'm in the exact same boat as you minus the amp head and bass stuff. my 2012 was NUTS. need to slow down. i say as i ordered a Big Green Pi and Retrosonic chorus today, and have a V3 cosmichorus on the way soon facepalm.gif

• Members

I had a pretty good year at the pawnshops again:

Bass- '66 Black Fender P-bass w/ OHSC ( 129.99 + tax) & "89 Fender "Longhorn" Jazz Bass w/ OHSC($315 + tax)

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

Acoustic - '96 Larrivee D-05 w/ OHSC ( $207+ tax)

2012-12-04_06-46-31_817.jpg

2012-12-04_06-36-15_706.jpg

2012-12-04_06-41-36_586.jpg

Electric - 2011 PRS SE Tremonti w/ HSC (pawnshop trade )

2012-12-04_12-58-14_14.jpg

2012-12-04_13-00-38_909.jpg

• Members

Guitar: Steinberger Spirit (not really all that great, but it's the only guitar i bought this year - I needed a travel guitar and it's perfect for that)

Effect: Boss DM-3 - got a decent deal on it buying "as is" on ebay from a storage locker guy who never tested it - my first ebay transaction in years. Works great. I got lucky.

Amp: Mesa TA-15. I still lust after other amps (because we never stop wanting sh*t), but it pretty much ended my search for the amp that I need.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NBarnes21

View Post

Slate and Waves plugins during the end of the year blowout sales

That's true. I forgot I spent more money on studio stuff than guitar stuff! Slate trigger for cheapz. I want to get the universal audio material stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

HOLY COW Skip! phileek.gifPhil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

I'd love to know your secret to getting such great deals! That P-Bass score is incredible in this day and age. I can't believe a pawnshop didn't check its value online before pricing it for sale.

Here's the secret. I RELIGIOUSLY Stop at every pawnshop that I pass by on my sales calls. Have to go in and scan for any guitars,basses, amps, pedals. It usually takes about 5 minutes. I usually eat on the run, so I use my hour lunch time to stop by the pawnshops. Because I stop so regularly, I've gotten to know the clerks,managers,and the family owned shops. This last part has paid in spades. I've got a few that will let me go to the back and look over all the stuff that's ready to come out. I usually get first look at most of the shops I frequent. Here's an inside tip on one that I'm hoping comes out in the next month. I think it's an early 50's Gibson J-200. The manager brought it out to show me,and here's a pic of the guitar. I've got my fingers crossed on this one. I should be able to snag this for a few hundred dollars.smile.gif

60sGibsonJ-200-1-1.jpg

Archived