The Official Plectrum Thread

echodeluxe

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaltones

View Post

Jazz III for electric (though I want to try the Carbon fibre version)

Fender Medium for Acoustic

I've used the Jazz III picks for a couple years and switched to the carbon fibre ones several months ago and they're fantastic. They have a really nice grip texture that all but eliminates (for me) any slipping or twisting. If you already like the standard Jazz III's give em a try...you won't be disappointed.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

What pics do you use/recommend?

For years I've used these:

35055_l.jpg

and I've been pretty happy. However, this week I decided to try something new and a little thicker, so I grabbed a handful of these from my store:

UltexStandard73-11.png

I got some of the regular shape and a couple of the "sharp" variety. So far I like the change. A little stiffer while still allowing a good amount of flex. Now my tortex pics feel kinda thin by comparison.

What do you use?

I used to use the Clayton picks (the white ones) but a couple of years ago I switched to the Ultex and haven't looked back.

For guitar I uses the sharp 1.14 and 1.42's depending on the guitar I'm using and the string gauge. For bass I use the sharp 2.0.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

What pics do you use/recommend?

For years I've used these:

35055_l.jpg

and I've been pretty happy. However, this week I decided to try something new and a little thicker, so I grabbed a handful of these from my store:

UltexStandard73-11.png

I got some of the regular shape and a couple of the "sharp" variety. So far I like the change. A little stiffer while still allowing a good amount of flex. Now my tortex pics feel kinda thin by comparison.

What do you use?

I used to use the Clayton picks (the white ones) but a couple of years ago I switched to the Ultex and haven't looked back.

For guitar I uses the sharp 1.14 and 1.42's depending on the guitar I'm using and the string gauge. For bass I use the sharp 2.0.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hrcnsfan

View Post

I've used the Jazz III picks for a couple years and switched to the carbon fibre ones several months ago and they're fantastic. They have a really nice grip texture that all but eliminates (for me) any slipping or twisting. If you already like the standard Jazz III's give em a try...you won't be disappointed.

I'll definitely be trying them. The point seems more rounded on them than the regular red JazzIII's though. I might have to file them a bit to get them to my liking.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by hrcnsfan

View Post

I'll definitely be trying them. The point seems more rounded on them than the regular red JazzIII's though. I might have to file them a bit to get them to my liking.

• Members

For years I used 9's on an LP with these:

31NQdMqwZIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now I'm using 12's on an LP with these:

image.php?type=P&id=15640

I hear a lot of guys insisting on heavy picks for accuracy and attack, but I'm a huge convert to the idea of using a lighter pick with heavy strings. Way more dynamic, IMO, lot of nuance and an ability to "work" the string with the flex and give of the pick.

• Members

For years I used 9's on an LP with these:

31NQdMqwZIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now I'm using 12's on an LP with these:

image.php?type=P&id=15640

I hear a lot of guys insisting on heavy picks for accuracy and attack, but I'm a huge convert to the idea of using a lighter pick with heavy strings. Way more dynamic, IMO, lot of nuance and an ability to "work" the string with the flex and give of the pick.

Archived