fat jokes.

echodeluxe

• Members

Obesity is often preventable, but not always. In some cases, there IS a serious underlying medical condition beyond "you eat too much and don't excercise enough".

And yes, for many / most people, the formula is fairly straightforward: Decrease caloric intake while increasing physical activity levels and you will lose weight... but that doesn't work for everyone...

WebMD tells me about 1% of obesity is caused by medical reasons, the other 99% is caused by poor diet and overeating. Go read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan and we'll have a conversation about obesity and diet related diseases.

My father was a smoker and died of lung cancer at the age of 50. I look at smokers and I think that they are {censored}ing idiots that one day will die too young and {censored} up their family. I look at fat people and I think they are {censored}ing idiots that will have a heart attack or diabetes and leave a {censored}ed up family. What's worse is that these people will often indoctrinate their children into a lifestyle of poor eating, thus continuing the cycle. Morbid obesity in children should be considered child abuse and they child should be taken from the parents.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people sometimes make fun of people out of a desire to make themselves feel better. It's kind of like watching Jerry Springer. No matter how messed up your life is, you can watch that and think "well, it could always be worse". And yeah, life COULD always be worse, even when it's pretty messed up... but I personally always feel uncomfortable taking delight or pleasure or finding too much humor in the discomfort or problems - or failings - of others. I have no problem with humor at my expense, or with humor at "our" expense (when it deals with the overall human condition / experience and is something most of us experience / can directly relate to), but things like racially oriented jokes, "retard" jokes, "fat jokes" and stuff like that always leave me feeling a little slimy and dirty.

I think it's important to not take yourself too seriously, and I do believe it helps to be able to laugh at things - if you don't laugh at some of the crap in this life, you'll spend a lot of time crying... ;) but OTOH, I really don't want to hurt or offend anyone for the sake of a laugh...

Better to laugh WITH people than laugh AT people. IMHO. YMMV. I'm not trying to be the heavy or be judgmental here... just expressing my POV, and hopefully tossing out a little food for thought and discussion. :)

WebMD tells me about 1% of obesity is caused by medical reasons, the other 99% is caused by poor diet and overeating.

And you're capable of spotting that 1% just by looking, right?

My point is, unless you know them, and their medical history, chances are you can't differentiate the ones with a thyroid problem from the ones who just overindulge... or from the ones with a serious "food addiction", or who are overeating due to clinical depression, etc. But when you look at them, from the way you're describing it, you see "F-ing idiots" who are screwing up their lives, and the lives of their children, etc. IOW, you're making a judgment based on outward appearances and insufficient factual data, and grouping all overweight people into the same category. It may apply to the vast majority of them, but for those in that 1%, it's an unfair stereotype.

• Members

I agree, but I still think people who do stupid {censored} are stupid. :thu:

WebMD tells me about 1% of obesity is caused by medical reasons, the other 99% is caused by poor diet and overeating.

And you're capable of spotting that 1% just by looking, right?

My point is, unless you know them, and their medical history, chances are you can't differentiate the ones with a thyroid problem from the ones who just overindulge... or from the ones with a serious "food addiction". But when you look at them, from the way you're describing it, you see "F-ing idiots" who are screwing up their lives, and the lives of their children, etc. IOW, you're making a judgment based on outward appearances and insufficient factual data, and grouping all overweight people into the same category. It may apply to the vast majority of them, but for those in that 1%, it's an unfair stereotype.

• Members
:lol:
It's kind of hard to argue with that... although I will point out that, at various times and in various ways, we ALL do some pretty damn stoopid stuff. I know I certainly have.
:o

Ha, I agree. Doing stupid stuff occasionally is fun, exhilarating, and part of life. Doing stupid stuff habitually is stupid.

• Members
I personally always feel uncomfortable taking delight or pleasure or finding too much humor in the discomfort or problems - or failings - of others. I have no problem with humor at my expense, or with humor at "our" expense (when it deals with the overall human condition / experience and is something most of us experience / can directly relate to), but things like racially oriented jokes, "retard" jokes, "fat jokes" and stuff like that always leave me feeling a little slimy and dirty.

Better to laugh WITH people than laugh AT people.
:)

Post of the year, and sigworthy. :thu:

It takes courage to say this, Phil, especially knowing that humor often takes on a mob mentality. It's weird to watch people vehemently defend their right to be petty.

• Members
Post of the year, and sigworthy.
:thu:

It takes courage to say this, Phil, especially knowing that humor often takes on a mob mentality. It's weird to watch people vehemently defend their right to be petty.

Phil's ass.
You kiss it.

• Members

Phil's ass.

You kiss it.

Really not. Phil and I disagree on quite a few topics, especially political parties.

This is a topic I feel strongly about, and I've argued it many times before at HCFX regarding jokes about gays, "retards", and the recently deceased. I find it really bad taste, and worse.

I think we can disagree about this, Attic, but it seems in this thread that if I don't agree with your brand of humor, I get to be the target of insults. It says a lot.

• Members
Post of the year, and sigworthy.

I hope I didn't come across as 'vehement' or 'petty', but I do feel strongly about these things. I agree with your later post regarding humor in bad taste, i.e. homosexuals and the deceased. On the other hand, some of the best humor is in bad taste, Louis CK for example.

• Members
Phil's ass.

You kiss it.

:lol:

my $.02 - i say if you laugh at everybody, then it's ok. if you don't laugh about ethnic, size jokes that describe you, but think it's ok to laugh at others, then maybe you shouldn't be making those jokes.

• Members
Really not. Phil and I disagree on quite a few topics, especially political parties.

This is a topic I feel strongly about, and I've argued it many times before at HCFX regarding jokes about gays, "retards", and the recently deceased. I find it really bad taste, and worse.

I think we can disagree about this, Attic, but it seems in this thread that if I don't agree with your brand of humor, I get to be the target of insults. It says a lot.

I was making a joke, not an insult.

People make fun of me too. Calling me Themo (Theo + Emo) because I don't do the br00talz. I stutter sometimes and I'm very likely going to be bald in the next couple of years. My face is red about 90 percent of the time.

People make jokes about those things now and then. Sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

Do I care? Yes.
Am I pissed about it? No.
Why am I not pissed? Because I know that if a family member or friend makes fun of me, they have my back when it really matters. And if strangers make a joke about me, then I couldn't care less. Especially on the internet.

If people would just stop being so uptight about things, this wouldn't happen:

danish_cartoon_protest.jpg

• Members

I don't really understand when people get upset by "Your momma is so fat..." jokes. I don't know your Mom. I am sure she is a lovely lady. To me it is just the fun mental sparring people do with each other. I am not calling someone's Mom fat, I am just playing with language and matching wits. If someone gets offended I stop, but I realize that person has some serious hang ups. Then again, I laugh at just about everything, especially myself.

• Members
^ woah.

okay, sorry if i had insulted anyone. this wasnt meant to be that. it was supposed to just be a little bit of fun. i am not making fun of anyone.

This is nothing but a flat out lie. You obviously were making fun of people, and I personally don't believe you're sorry 1 iota for insulting fat people. Someone who would be sorry for that wouldn't do what you've done. But Phil comes in here, so you backtrack like a {censored} and try to convince us that your fake remorse is real. :facepalm: Maybe someone in your family will die from an obesity related medical issue. Maybe that'll be funny too, huh?

As a former fat person myself, I never minded fat jokes because I KNEW that it was my own choices that made me that way. Eliminate fast food, don't drink a 12 pack every Friday/Saturday, play more tennis and whoosh the weight goes away. Calories in - calories burned = calories out. If it's a positive # you gain weight, if it's negative, you lose weight. It's not rocket science.

But... certain people, especially on this forum, just love being dickheads and insulting people. It's what they do. They have to do it to feel better about themselves. Their self esteem is that bad. I feel more sorry for those people than I do for the fat folks, because the fat people can lose weight, but the dickheads will always be dickheads.

Remember this famous quote: "Yeah, I may be fat, but you're an asshole. And I can always diet." :thu:

• Members
This is nothing but a flat out
lie
. You obviously
were
making fun of people, and I personally don't believe you're sorry 1 iota for insulting fat people. Someone who would be sorry for that wouldn't do what you've done. But Phil comes in here, so you backtrack like a {censored} and try to convince us that your fake remorse is real.
:facepalm:
Maybe someone in your family will die from an obesity related medical issue. Maybe that'll be funny too, huh?

As a
former
fat person myself, I never minded fat jokes because I KNEW that it was my own choices that made me that way. Eliminate fast food, don't drink a 12 pack every Friday/Saturday, play more tennis and whoosh the weight goes away. Calories in - calories burned = calories out. If it's a positive # you gain weight, if it's negative, you lose weight. It's not rocket science.

But... certain people, especially on this forum, just love being dickheads and insulting people. It's what they do. They have to do it to feel better about themselves. Their self esteem is that bad. I feel more sorry for those people than I do for the fat folks, because the fat people can lose weight, but the dickheads will
always
be dickheads.

Remember this famous quote: "Yeah, I may be fat, but you're an asshole. And I can always diet."

Oh come on.

Archived