New Empress Delay (sorta)

Crxsh

• Members

Haha... Just texted you Nick and then saw this thread.

Yup. My thoughts exactly - $299 is probably the dumbest price point of any pedal I've seen, considering the competition.

You won't see a tablet at $500 to compete with the new iPad... That'd be dumb. You see them MUCH cheaper. Kinda the same theory here. Strymon sorta has a monopoly going in the boutique delay market, and I told Nick before, but I think the only company out there that I thought had the potential to unseat Strymon, was Empress... But from judging this price and product, it seems like they've just got too much pride to offer a lower price. :idk:

• Members

I dunno if being in Canada drives up costs a bit more, maybe? Funny thing is, $299 seems too high, yet the Diamond ML Jr. is $279, everyone speaks highly of it, and rarely is its price point criticized too much. And that's only $20 less. If the Superdelay Jr had been $249-279 price point, it would've been more favorable I think. They'll have their work cut out for them.

Wasn't Empress supposed to be working on some great analog delay too? Whatever happened to that? Maybe it eloped with the 919.

• Members

Yup. My thoughts exactly - $299 is probably the dumbest price point of any pedal I've seen, considering the competition.

I'm sure they'll sell a bunch of them, but from my consumer standpoint

• Members

Every dealer offers discounts, no discounts on Strymon though.... Even though the 'street price' is 299 doesn't mean that you won't be able to buy one for $250. People will buy this if it sounds really, really good.

• Members

True, but the Strymon pedals have a ton more features, at both price points.

I think Empress priced themselves out of the market on this one. IMO, at least.

Which is too bad, because I think the VMSD sounds better than the Strymon offerings.

Also, the Diamond ML Jr was $249 for the longest time. I think that's when a lot of people picked one up.

• Members

Every dealer offers discounts, no discounts on Strymon though.... Even though the 'street price' is 299 doesn't mean that you won't be able to buy one for $250. People will buy this if it sounds really, really good.

True... But it's literally the exact same thing as the tape mode on the VMSD. Makes no sense to price it at $299, even though there will be discounts.

Let's just compare features for a second, assuming they both sound equally awesome:

Modulation - El Cap

Parameters - El Cap

Stereo in/out - El Cap

Tone control - El Cap

Optional preset - El Cap, only downside is it costs more and takes up slightly more space.

Multi-head mode - El Cap

Trails Optional - El Cap

Analog dry path - El Cap

Sound on Sound mode - El Cap

Soft relay switching - wash (El Cap has been updated for this)

Simplicity - Empress Tape Delay

Size - wash?

Sound Quality - matter of opinion, but personally I prefer Strymon's take on tape delay much more than Empress', but that could be because of the extra tweaking parameters on the Strymon.

So if the ONLY thing you care about is simplicity or if you think the Empress actually sounds better, then sure, the Empress is great. Other than that, seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Members

Soooo, was the tape mode on the SD that good?

Also, no trails? why? Even my DL8 has them. Stereo would have also been nice.

Agree, no trails, no stereo, no dice. Jeez, my Headrush "tape delay" mode has 4 other outs (I don't own enough amps to try it out, sadly).

• Members

Agree, no trails, no stereo, no dice. Jeez, my Headrush "tape delay" mode has 4 other outs (I don't own enough amps to try it out, sadly).

Trying all 5 outs at the same time. But it's a gearwire video so expect mediocrity.

[video=youtube;yIe2I-ZwQDI]

• Members

true bypass + trails.

Modulation, apart from the tape age.

okay, I would like to see a just reverse pedal from them. that seems like the coolest part of the superdelay. CV controls for delay time and feedback would have been nice too :(

• 7 months later...

Archived