The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Members

Oh and one more question, how long is the drop in between patch switches? And is there a signal drop if you just turn the effect on and off? For example-

If I were to be using patch 1, then i switched it off, switched to patch 2, and then switched it back on, would there be drops anywhere in that procedure...and where would they be?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

here's my nasty organ/harmonizer patch for all you evil sound lovers, its great for doom/grind stuff...i made it monitoring with a sovtek big muff in front, tone knob rolled all the way to the left (midsville) and realized it sounded like a few earth tracks. I've also worked it into more ambient parts with my space echo.

Type: Dual Pitch
Mode: 8
Delay 1: 0.0
FB Gain 1: 0
Delay 2: 0
FB Gain 2: 0
Pitch1: 7
Fine1: -5
Level 1: 56
Pan1: center
Pitch2: -19
Fine2: 11
Level2:100
Pan2: center
Mix: 74

• Members

Originally posted by Sty1es

Can you tell thats it's still there though, even when it's off?

I'd like to know this too. On my V-amp, even in "bypass" mode the signal sounds processed. There is some detectible latency (or something), and the tone is dead. Does the MS do this too?

• Members
Originally posted by LAracer

I'd like to know this too. On my V-amp, even in "bypass" mode the signal sounds processed. There is some detectible latency (or something), and the tone is dead. Does the MS do this too?

With my old Boss VF-1, even with everything on bypass I lost clarity and some top end. I couldn't try and mix the wet and dry signals because I'd get a nasty phasing effect due to the latency.

So any MS users feel like hooking us up with some knowledge? :D

• Members

^for the Q's up there^

0 latency for some patches, about 1/2 a sec for others. depends on the patch. weird, huh? but many delays/reverbs have seamless switching.

bypass: preamp's always on. no tone-suckage but it does color yr sound a bit. passable but i use a TB loopbox, which means it comes in handy as a boost! :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

bypass: preamp's always on. no tone-suckage but it does color yr sound a bit. passable but i use a TB loopbox, which means it comes in handy as a boost!
:idea:

Thanks Guy. Sorry to make you repeat things you've already said; I was hoping for some 2nd opinions :(

I guess for me the whole point of a box like this is to keep things simple. Putting some kind of loopbox in there will defeat that I think (although I've never used one, so maybe not...).

Do you know of any multi effects thing that does have some kind of true (or at least very good) bypass? For example, I can live with the bypass on Boss pedals like my DS-1 (if its sucking tone, I can't hear it), but my V-amp is a total tone killer when "bypassed".

• Members

Out of curiosity, does the Magicstomp do any sort of autowah? It's been nagging at me to ask, so well, I'm asking. :)

I'm going to eventually pick up a magicstomp for the reverb (mostly), but it seems to have other cool features I'd only occassionally use, like pitch shifting, chorus, and what have you.

Oh yeah, and does the tuner work okay? I'm not obsessive compulsive about perfection, just as long as it works. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Klisk

Out of curiosity, does the Magicstomp do any sort of autowah? It's been nagging at me to ask, so well, I'm asking.
:)

I'm going to eventually pick up a magicstomp for the reverb (mostly), but it seems to have other cool features I'd only occassionally use, like pitch shifting, chorus, and what have you.

Oh yeah, and does the tuner work okay? I'm not obsessive compulsive about perfection, just as long as it works.
:D

tuner's A-OK. tracks quickly and mutes.

no autowah but it does have a filter dealy, which is close enough really. isn't it?
and yes, it's totally worth it for those "extra fx" that you don't want an extra pedal for. for example, i rarely use phaser or pitchshifter but both of those OWN the BOSS digital phaser or the PS-2 or PS-3.

Originally posted by omor

here's my nasty organ/harmonizer patch for all you evil sound lovers...

hmmm...just saw this...must try...

• Members

The tuner can be crabby if in the loop. I have been live a few times, looked down and the LED's are not making any sense.

I have to change channels on the amp to change the signal runnin gthrough it until it is happy!

• Members

hmmm...just saw this...must try...

let me know how that works out. get a nice, bassy fuzzy tone running before (in my case, before and after) and play kinda slow, the slightly-off intervals thanks to the detuned pitches pulse your speakers pretty hard and do some crazy things...so watch out! you've been warned!

• Members

hey guys,

new to the thread; but i've been a Magic Stomp user for a couple of years now.

lately, my switches have become quite tempramental. the on/off switch as well as the - switch, work intermittently and in addition, sometimes when i hit the on/off switch the thing goes into tuner mode and my signal is gone. lotsa fun at gigs!!!

anybody else have this problem? any ideas on what i can do? i'm waiting to hear from Yamaha tech support (i e-mailed them tonight.)

also, for guys who have owned both versions, is there any sound difference between 1 and 2? it seems whenever a company upgrades a product, they wind up {censored}ing it up (Digitech Whammy pedal, Digitech 2101 etc.)

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

• Members

OK, im late to the party but I brought beer & dip (and a few other things ill not break out in present company)

anyway - kickass pedal

im loving the tweaking possibilities. very cool.

one question though, when I am storing a user patch, I can place them wherever I want, right?

say i make a verb/delay patch I want to save - well if its destination is U46, can I change where it will be stored to U01?

thankjs for any help pookie

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

one question though, when I am storing a user patch, I can place them wherever I want, right?

say i make a verb/delay patch I want to save - well if its destination is U46, can I change where it will be stored to U01?

thankjs for any help pookie

yup!

but then, of course, whatever you had in U01 will be lost--unless you assign it to another number first OR save it in your computer.

Originally posted by brykster

hey guys,

new to the thread; but i've been a Magic Stomp user for a couple of years now.

lately, my switches have become quite tempramental. the on/off switch as well as the - switch, work intermittently and in addition, sometimes when i hit the on/off switch the thing goes into tuner mode and my signal is gone. lotsa fun at gigs!!!

anybody else have this problem? any ideas on what i can do? i'm waiting to hear from Yamaha tech support (i e-mailed them tonight.)

also, for guys who have owned both versions, is there any sound difference between 1 and 2? it seems whenever a company upgrades a product, they wind up {censored}ing it up (Digitech Whammy pedal, Digitech 2101 etc.)

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

no sound difference, but i think there are a couple of extra acoustic patches or something.

switch: there's a post about replacing 'em in this thread somewhere. they are actually tactile buttons that the "switch" depresses via a spring. trystraightening the spring, but the switch may need replacing.

• Members

yup!

but then, of course, whatever you had in U01 will be lost--unless you assign it to another number first OR save it in your computer.

no sound difference, but i think there are a couple of extra acoustic patches or something.

switch: there's a post about replacing 'em in this thread somewhere. they are actually tactile buttons that the "switch" depresses via a spring. trystraightening the spring, but the switch may need replacing.

cool - thanks man

• Members

yup!

thanks much my friend. good to see someone actually reads these things : )

• Members

o.k...cracked the thing open (man, are there a ton of screws and washers) and played around with the springs. closed it back and lo and behold, my (-) switch is still busted. guess that means i need to have the switch on the board replaced.
should i try this myself or take it somewhere?
are there other switches i should be looking to upgrade to?
i'm real pissed because i've only had the thing for about 8 months. why would they make such a great pedal and chinse-out on the parts?

• Members

apparently they are better on MSII.

the buttons are surface-mounted os it's a trickier solder, but your MSI should be under warranty. email yamaha. they should cover the reapir.

...even though i cracked it open?

i already have an e-mail in to tech support. sent it on thursday and haven't heard yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

has anybody noticed if their magicstomp will occasionally engage the wrong patch with the correct patch name showing or not engage the patch at all when engaged? I noticed that if i cycle up from the stagnant patch and back down it acts fine but I'm not liking this. any ideas? maybe factory restore it/update firmware? Ive got the magicstomp II so i dont know if there is a firmware update. :confused:

• Members

apparently they are better on MSII.

the buttons are surface-mounted os it's a trickier solder, but your MSI should be under warranty. email yamaha. they should cover the reapir.

brought in my MS1 for upgrade and the dope at the authorized service center is giving me {censored}. he says there's nothing wrong with it. i told him the the problem is intermittent...and he's like well, if i can't see it, i can't fix it. i explained that the switches are notoriously lousy and there doesn't have to be anything wrong with to have the new switches put in. i don't get this {censored}in' guy's problem. Yamaha is going to pay him. the pedal is under warranty. the guy is just an ass.

Archived