The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Sorry chaps!

I've not heard the Magicstomp except very briefly at LGS, so can't really offer much of an educated opinion. As I understood it, the Magicstomp offers nearly all the options of the UD, but doesn't have quite the same routing flexibility - it has a number of preset routing configurations, whereas the UD's routing is entirely "free".

I have been tempted to pick up a Magic to cover tremolo, phaser, odd reverbs and so on, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

:(

thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

as you can see, it's fairly straightforward.

i just got mine yesterday. it was a couple of days late because the Fed Ex truck kept coming when i wasn't home. :mad: but i've messed aound with it a bit and here are my impressions:

it just requires pushing 2 buttons to get into deep editing so that makes it easy. and you use the bank up/down buttons to scroll thru the main menus and the 3 knobs to adjust. that's about it. easy-peasy.

the cons:

1. you'll have to remember what the abbreviations mean. some are obvious: MSTR, TONE, FB, etc. but not all. they all make sense but since there are so many FX types and so many parameters to tweak it would be difficult to know all of their names or abbreviations.

2. any of the multi-FX settings make it more challenging as there are so many pages to scroll through--3 parameters at a time. and it doesn't indicate what effect the parameter affects so you just have to pay attention. for example, you may be adjusting the EQ parameter but there's no indication whether it's the EQ for the Distortion or the Reverb, etc. i don't use the multi settings so it doesn't bother me.

those are the major drawbacks that i've noticed so far. otherwise it seems like it will come in handy. obviously it's not intended for on-the-fly changes during a gig. but it's really practical to have for practice, for example. if you notice that your delay is getting lost in the mix but none of yr knobs are assigned to EFFECT LEVEL, you can always get into deepedt mode and tweak the E.LEVEL a bit or change one of the knob functions to E.LEVEL.

i think i'll still do most of my major programing on the PC as the graphic interface makes things really easy. but it's nice to have the onboard deepedit mode. i wouldn't neccessarily have paid full price for an upgrade but since music123.com had em for $99 (about what the MS I goes for used) i figured i wouldn't mind a free upgrade! :)

• Members

Originally posted by joegrant413

Hey, is this deep-editing on the pedal only for the MS II? I have the first MagicStomp, and I thought deep-editing was only via the PC software.

-- Joe

yeah, onboard deep-editing is the main new feature of the MS II. it also has a phone jack and a feedback eliminator for acoustic. otherwise they're identical.

like i said, i wouldn't have paid and extra 100 bucks jsut to upgrade from the MSI but since music123 was having a clearance, i couldn't refuse! :)

• Members

someone asked for Reverb settings so here are a couple i use:

WET!HallRev

REVERB

REV TYPE:Hall

INITIAL DELAY: 0

ER/REV DEL: 0

REV TIME: 9.0

HIGH RATION: 0.4

LOW RATIO: 1.6

DIFFUSION: 8

DENSIT: 100

ER/REV BALANCE: 20

HIGH PASS FILTER: 85.0

LOW PASS FILTER: 4.00k

GATE LEVEL: off

ATTACK: 4

HOLD: 150

DECAY: 133

MIX: 92

this provides a huge cascading reverb like in a large cathedral, with the guitar amp way back in the corner. slight organ overtones as well.

REVERB+SYMPHONIC

WAVE: Sine

INITIAL DLEAY: 440

FREQ: 1.30

MOD.DELAY: 28.0

REVERB TIME: 2.7

HIGH RATIO: 0.5

DIFFUSION: 5

DENSITY: 55

HIGH/LOW PASS FILTER: Thru

REVERB/SYMPHONIC: 55

DEPTH: 100

MIX: 50

this is basically a delay set to double the signal and a reverb that is delayed from the original signal by 400ms. really nice ambient jazz sorta sound ala Metheney, Frisell, et al.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

Very cool of you to take the time to do this! BTW, there is a Yahoo! MagicStomp group that I used to frequent. Have you checked it out? They have patch files that people have posted... maybe you post some of yours sometime.

Take care,

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by joegrant413

Very cool of you to take the time to do this! BTW, there is a Yahoo! MagicStomp group that I used to frequent. Have you checked it out? They have patch files that people have posted... maybe you post some of yours sometime.

Take care,

-- Joe

yeah i checked it out. 2 of em. don't remember posted patches but i'll check. usually i'm not much intp patch-swapping though--unless someone can tell me how to get a specifica sound that i can't dial in.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

GuyaGuy,

Thanks for sharing! I just loaded these programs into my MSII, and they're both excellent. I broke out my Parker Nitefly for some fingerstyle excursions thru the Methany/Frisell patch, and all I can say is; "Daddy like!" Thanks again man!

• Members

I just picked up a magic stomp 2 but can't get the software for it to recognize it.Drivers are installed But when I do the set up Yamaha drivers are not there just my sound card. Driver show in hardware for sound and video. And when I click on the usb Icon in the control panel it says yamaha device not connected. i have HP computer 3.0 gig processor and 512 meg of ram. any suggestions on how to get it to work. i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Blueswaite

I just picked up a magic stomp 2 but can't get the software for it to recognize it.Drivers are installed But when I do the set up Yamaha drivers are not there just my sound card. Driver show in hardware for sound and video. And when I click on the usb Icon in the control panel it says yamaha device not connected. i have HP computer 3.0 gig processor and 512 meg of ram. any suggestions on how to get it to work. i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Thanks

2 options:

1. slap it and say "bitch, you got to recognize!!"

2. click on the Magicstomp setup window--the small floating rectangle which allows you to select the usb for the MS. does that help?

• Members

No the only thing it show is my sound card..

hm...you may need to choosed it from that rectangle AND from the setup at the top of the Sound Editor menu but you have to chose it first from the MS Setup window. hmm...if that doesn't work you can try Yam's support. or, better yet, the support of whatever company you got it from. online shops like sweetwater are especially helpful with these things. sorry i can't help. i'm not all that computer savvy.

• Members

Problelm must be with Windows XP and service pack 2. I installed it on a computer with windows 98 and service pack one and it detects the magic stomp fine. One other question. Say in Cakewalk Homestudio 4XL can you record from the usb on the Magic Stomp Thanks

• Members

Problelm must be with Windows XP and service pack 2. I installed it on a computer with windows 98 and service pack one and it detects the magic stomp fine. One other question. Say in Cakewalk Homestudio 4XL can you record from the usb on the Magic Stomp Thanks

weird. i have XP and had no problems.

cakewalk info:

http://line6.com/support/knowledgebase/toneporthelp/

• 2 months later...
  • Members

DIGITAL DELIGHTS!

IT'S TIME FOR SOME...

CLIPS!

i just put up some demo clips of the magicstomp in action! jimihalen asked me for patch settings and i wanted to do provide some for the multi-tap delyas, which i find so cool. but it's a pain typing that crap out so i just recorded some stuff.everything is recorded with my Eastwood with Mighty Mite Alnico V Strat pups into the Line 6 Toneport, whose Bassman model i used.

1. vintage phaser: at the end i go through the different stage settings.

2. flanger: this isn't the vintage one. it's the one that gets totally wacked, as you can hear.

3. reverb: the phrase is played once through each of the different reverb types: spring, reverse gate, gate, early reflections, hall, plate. at the end of plate you'll hear me turn the reverb level down. notice when you do this that the dry signal gets louder. a shortcoming, imo. but at the tail end i turn up the wet mix so you can hear a 75% wet 'verb. nice!

4. multi-tap delay. starts off with a parallel delay with a modulated pitch shift thing. if played with sustained notes you get a vox repeater effect--only it's an octave up AND parallel to your guitar! sweet! then there's a demonstration of various rhythmic possiblities with various tap settings and modualtion. SUH-WEET!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=537963

:wave:

Archived