The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1. Grabbed one from GC yesterday. they matched the $80 MF price for me (it was marked at $129). Took it to rehearsal last night having never even taken it out of the box. Plugged it into the fx loop on the Supersonic and found the "Analog Delay" patch and all was well. Pretty good sounding unit from what I could tell. I will mess with it some more tonight but so far so good :)

• Members

Originally posted by z0s0_jp

just got it.....luv it..i have version 2.1 and guess what...no delay between patches:eek:

I got version 2.0 of firmware and ver 1.0.0 of the software

What is your software version ?

I just could not find out where to download new firmware or software for the magicstomp.

And I too luv it ( Not too good on Amp and speaker simulations,

Minus points for the limitations on the effects chains.

minus points for no downloadable new models

but many plus points for sound, ease of use and the reverb/chorus/delays)

• Members

i got the sickest distortion.....metal patch download from magicstomp site ..it is the "metaldime" patch..all i did was crank the bass level on the parameters...it slams!!! and i must retract my "no delay between patches"....there is a half second delay on some....but in a live band situation it is no big deal

• Members

Does anyone have any good noisegate settings for the MSII? I guess maybe I don't fully understand all the parameters but I am having a hard time coming up with something I'm really comfortable with.

So far I am really digging the MSII except I do notice a slight delay in switching between patches in performance mode. It is not bad but it is there and took some getting used to when I need to switch patches in a song.

I have been using it both as a preamp through my Peavey Classic 120 tube poweramp (if I can just get the noisegate thing figured out) with good results and as an effects unit through the loop of my Randall RG80Ph also with great results. I have spent a lot of time tinkering though, but that is in no way a bad thing in my book.

• Members

See Harmony Central Article

Noise gate settings depend upon --

Output of pickups

Gain of the patch model

personal preference

There are also two uses of the Noise gate

-- To cut out unwanted low level signals from the guitar when you are not playing it

-- to alter the envelope of the signal

The MSII has the following parameters for the Noise Gate

Threshold

Attack

Hold

Decay

What I would do to set them up correctly is

A) Set up a patch with the gain and distortion I need. Then set up the NG to

Attack = 4-10ms

Hold = 150

Decay = 40

they start with Threshold = 1

B) then play one note and hear it die slowly. The Noise gate should close ( Not transmit any sound) as per your preference.

If you raise the threshold too low, the Noise gate will appear to not work at all as it is always open.

Too high a threshold will keep the noise gate will appear to be always closed or will also suddenly chop notes.

C) Normally for the application of cutting unwanted string vibrations, the above will be sufficient.

If you want to alter the envelope of the signal, you can now play with the other parameters. If you have a slow attack 80-200ms, you will cut out the first part of the signal ( pick noise)

Above assumes you are using the MSII with a giutar. A Noise gate can also be used with drums, snares etc for funky effects.

• Members

Allright, so my magicstomp came yestersday while I was at work. I had about 15 minuts to play with it before practice started. I couldnt get it to work well with the loop on my Rectoverb, but it is a weird loop anyway.

The sounds are good. My bandmates were impressed, and I love that each patch assigns the knobs to different parameters. The 12 string patch sounds good, much better than my old GT-6. I loved number 73 too. There are a lot of cool sounds in it. Reverbs are great. I need to hook up the computer to tweak the choruses, but I am really happy with the purchase. The only things that would be nice would be 9 volt operation and tap tempo.

• Members

I installed everything and hooked it up to my Mac and hit a brick wall. I finally got it to work, but the CD it comes with is junk. I should have just gone straight to the website and downloaded all of the latest software.

Also, mine has to try three times before it will actually write the patches to the pedal. I get a bulk error/midi error the first two times. Once it works, it works, and it sounds good. I wish the manual was better.

Anyone else have similar problems?

I would also like to find some nice fuzz patches if you got em.

• Members

I had a look at this, thinking of buying either the MS2 or the Zoom G7.1. (They're priced similarily in Norway.) It seems you cannot connect an expression pedal to the MS2 though, is this correct? In that case it's a no-go for me. :(

• Members

Originally posted by scott_335

Anyone else have similar problems?

Well with my PC, I missed the fact that you have to first do Setup in this little floating window, ask me if I read instructions ;)

magics01.jpg

I was using Setup in the Sound Editor and because I kept moving that little window out of my way I never had "YAMAHA USB IN/OUT 0-1" as an option in the Sound Editor Setup. I also downloded the latest drivers and documentation from MagicStomp.com,

You must click on the floating window "Setup" first with a PC, and then do "Setup" in the Sound Editor window...DOH!

• Members

Originally posted by scott_335

I installed everything and hooked it up to my Mac and hit a brick wall. I finally got it to work, but the CD it comes with is junk. I should have just gone straight to the website and downloaded all of the latest software.

:confused:

The files on their website are actually pretty old. They are all you need for the first MagicStomp, but for more recent pedals the latest software comes in the CD.

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

:confused:

The files on their website are actually pretty old. They are all you need for the first MagicStomp, but for more recent pedals the latest software comes in the CD.

Not the case if you have XP! The USB Driver on the CD that came in the box with my MS v2.10 two days ago was older than the driver at the website, this is the latest USB Driver for XP/2000 from http://www.magicstomp.com

um217xp2.exe

Version 2.1.7

Update 2006/06/30

Platform Windows® XP/2000

• Members

Thanks for clarifying. :)

The drivers are now available through the 2nd website you linked, and referred from the Magicstomp site.

They forgot to correct the dates on the MagicStomp site, though, so it still indicates it was updated Dec.12 2003 even though the actual files are more recent.

• Members

I can put this thing in a line level effects loop right? I've had other pedals clip in there and it's annoying as {censored}.

Are the reverbs really good enough on this thing to warrant a buy just for that? I've been thinking about the Verbzilla too, i don't know if i'd need all the options...

• Members

So... does this thing work with Mac OS X or not? Thats the only thing that's holding me back from buying it. Some of you are saying it does, then someone else says all you need to do is download the latest drivers.

So whats the dealio?

• Members

It definitely runs in Classic mode under OS-X. I did have to boot into 9.2 to run the installers, and even then I moved a few things around manually, but the patch editor does work.

It is a little quirky. If I remove or add other USB devices, or if I don't have the MS plugged in and on before starting the program, the batch download/upload tends to fail. But as long as i have the MS plugged into the USB and turned on before I start the software, everything works.

I am running 10.3.5 (? latest 10.3 whatever it is) on a 500 MHz G4 Sawtooth tower.

Good luck.

-berek

• 2 weeks later...

Archived