The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Members
Originally posted by UsrName

Wow! I just plugged in the MS, and I'm blown away at the sounds this thing can produce. I haven't even touched the sound editor yet and I love what I'm hearing. I especially like it can sound really hi-fi or lo-fi.

Needless to say, I will be selling my boss pedals, namely the DD-3, CE-2, and the tuner. Plus the NOS ME-5 that I have. I'll probably hold on to the dirt boxes though, maybe.

Anyway, I got the MS mainly for chorus, delay and reverb, and I must say I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't been so inspired to play by a piece of equipment in a long while.

welcome to the club! :wave:

that's shows conviction if you're selling all your BOSS stuff!

when you start using the sound editor you'll open pandora's box. if you think it's versatile now...whew!...there's so much inside that thing.

analog dirt is always gonna be preferable but the fuzz is actually pretty cool. i use it sometimes when i use wah.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

welcome to the club!
:wave:

that's shows conviction if you're selling all your BOSS stuff!

when you start using the sound editor you'll open pandora's box. if you think it's versatile now...whew!...there's so much inside that thing.

analog dirt is always gonna be preferable but the fuzz is actually pretty cool. i use it sometimes when i use wah.

The low gain stuff actually doesn't sound half bad. I haven't tried the wah, mainly 'cause I didn't get that far! I've got it in the loop right now, so I'll have to try that stuff up front. It seems to color the sound just the way I want. :D

The analog stuff and tape echo really have me sold! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by UsrName

The low gain stuff actually doesn't sound half bad. I haven't tried the wah, mainly 'cause I didn't get that far! I've got it in the loop right now, so I'll have to try that stuff up front. It seems to color the sound just the way I want.
:D

The analog stuff and tape echo really have me sold!
:thu:

oh i meant my wah pedal. don't think the MS has wah--just the filter.

let me know if you find a good setting for basic analog delay. any one i try still sounds too clean--not enough distortion and too much clarity. still...i love the delays for the 8 bands, modualtion, etc. mmm-hmmm!!

• Members

oh i meant my wah pedal. don't think the MS has wah--just the filter.

let me know if you find a good setting for basic analog delay. any one i try still sounds too clean--not enough distortion and too much clarity. still...i love the delays for the 8 bands, modualtion, etc. mmm-hmmm!!

Will do! :thu:

• Members

i ve been considering on for effects i dont use very often, like the chours anf lnage, wtich i really like in this unit also as a 3rd delay, and for some metal mani atimes wher that fizzy digital distortion just sjounds great plus the envelope filter , tremolo and all that stuff that i just can justify buying separate pedals for. plus ti would be a great late night practice tool

• Members
Originally posted by usa83strat

i ve been considering on for effects i dont use very often, like the chours anf lnage, wtich i really like in this unit also as a 3rd delay, and for some metal mani atimes wher that fizzy digital distortion just sjounds great plus the envelope filter , tremolo and all that stuff that i just can justify buying separate pedals for. plus ti would be a great late night practice tool

I think it fit in perfectly for what you want - an extra pedal with a lot of options.

I mainly got it for the time based effects, which I also use sparingly, like chorus, delay and tremolo. I was also in desperate need of a good reverb unit, as my amp doesn't have one.

So, I figured, instead of getting an RV-5, I got a used, basically new, MS for $30 less than the boss, and the sound quality is top notch. Plus I'm replacing three other pedals with it, so now I've got only my amp FS and the MS on the floor - a lot less clutter.

I think it sound tons better than my boss pedals especially through my fx loop, plus it has a tuner!

I think for the price, the number of effects and sound quality is a great deal, especially if you find a used one. I think I got lucky though. I bought "as new" from a guy on ebay and the foot pads on mine were not even dusty! :D

Good luck! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by thefyn

The damn thing broke on me mid song in a gig last night. The middle pedal will not change the patch.

Now I have to place an empty patch next to every wet patch and just click up and down to switch it on and off...pfft

That sucks! I hope they redesign this thing and make it closer to the older stomp series, with more heavy duty switches. An expression pedal built in would make it very viable in the multi-fx market. But then it would probably go way up in price. :cry:

• Members

Gah..Another gig..and another failure...

I thought I had fixed it. But then when I had the fx in the loop as I usually do there was a high pitched screetching noise.

I had to do a whole set dry as a bone...Sucks. I love the sounds but come on Yamaha...Lets get this thing a little more robust

• Members

Gah..Another gig..and another failure...

I thought I had fixed it. But then when I had the fx in the loop as I usually do there was a high pitched screetching noise.

I had to do a whole set dry as a bone...Sucks. I love the sounds but come on Yamaha...Lets get this thing a little more robust

That's too bad, man. As much as I love this thing, the switches do seem not heavey duty enough to gig regularly with. :(

• Members

I just got mine, and it does sound great.

I'm on a Mac, though, and the MS edit software is prehistoric for the Mac. I don't really want to install OS9 to get it rolling.

Anyone know any Mac editors for this thing?

• Members

Awesome response from Yamaha about my complain about the magic stomp switches failing:

Hi Owen ------we have found a superior footswitch part that can be
retrofitted to both your pedals ---under professional use the original
switchs can fail ---i advised to replace the all the switchs in both of
your units ---where are you located ??? we have servicers most
everywhere that can perform this for you at no cost ---EB

• Members

Awesome response from Yamaha about my complain about the magic stomp switches failing:

Hi Owen ------we have found a superior footswitch part that can be

retrofitted to both your pedals ---under professional use the original

switchs can fail ---i advised to replace the all the switchs in both of

your units ---where are you located ??? we have servicers most

everywhere that can perform this for you at no cost ---EB

Hmm...I should really look into finding a Yamaha dealer nearby that can fix mine.

I recently found out that I LOVE the MS with two amps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Magicstomp users :cool:

Question: what happens when you turn the ms off? I'm guessing it's not true bypass, but does it suck tone? I play into a Fender SR, so when I want clean all I want to hear is my guitar & amp...

• Members
Originally posted by LAracer

Hi Magicstomp users
:cool:

Question: what happens when you turn the ms off? I'm guessing it's not true bypass, but does it suck tone? I play into a Fender SR, so when I want clean all I want to hear is my guitar & amp...

it has a preamp w/ volume control that's never off. there is a slight EQing to the signal but no tone sucking.
still, i keep mine in the loop of the Tonefactor Mobius loopbox.

• Members

it has a preamp w/ volume control that's never off. there is a slight EQing to the signal but no tone sucking.

still, i keep mine in the loop of the Tonefactor Mobius loopbox.

Thanks. Man, would it be so hard for them to put bypasses in these things :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by LAracer

Hi Magicstomp users
:cool:

Sorry, but the MS stays in the loop even when off. One of the things I don't like about it....

-- Joe

• Members
Originally posted by joegrant413

Sorry, but the MS stays in the loop even when off. One of the things I don't like about it....

Can you tell thats it's still there though, even when it's off?

I read through all the posts in this thread. The Magicstomp looks to be a great unit. Does anyone on here use it in their FX loop? Do you find that you need to compensate the levels?

Honestly, the MS looks like it could be really cool having 2 units, one pre-preamp, and on in the loop. Damn. Now I need to go get one.

Thanks alot guys. :rolleyes:

:D

• Members

I have the original model. I have three amps, Carvin V16, Carvin X100B, and A Dr.Z. Mini Z. The MS will not work with the Dr.Z unless I run a stompbox after it i.e. ts-9, ge-7, bd-2 etc. Going straight from the MS to the Dr.Z I get no signal whatsoever! WTF?

Archived