The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Members

Greetings,

I'm considering getting a Magicstomp, but I have a few questions first. I hope you guys could help me out.

I've always mainly used a Boss DD-3 for delay, Boss CE-2 or CE-5 for chorus, and a BD-2 Blues Driver for some Fendery overdrive. Also at times, for some really heavy stuff, an MT-2 Metalzone.

I looking to get some really nice analog sounds in one box, including the chorus and delay, but I'd also like to have a digital delay and a nice blues overdrive in one box.

Also I'm looking to put the time based stuff into the effects loop, and have the other stuff through the front end.

Does it have any kind of graphic EQ patches?

Will this thing give me what I want?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by UsrName

Greetings,

I'm considering getting a Magicstomp, but I have a few questions first. I hope you guys could help me out.

I've always mainly used a Boss DD-3 for delay, Boss CE-2 or CE-5 for chorus, and a BD-2 Blues Driver for some Fendery overdrive. Also at times, for some really heavy stuff, an MT-2 Metalzone.

I looking to get some really nice analog sounds in one box, including the chorus and delay, but I'd also like to have a digital delay and a nice blues overdrive in one box.

Also I'm looking to put the time based stuff into the effects loop, and have the other stuff through the front end.

Does it have any kind of graphic EQ patches?

Will this thing give me what I want?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

lovely analog-style chorus and flange, only a decent analog delay but a really good tape delays, modulation delays, and digi-delays.

the EQ is only 3-band.

• Members

Originally posted by GorillaLover

I bought mine without the USB cable.. emailed yamaha's support to ask if I could buy one and they never got back to me, thus I never tried to get into mine..
:mad:

:confused:

you do know you can get one at the local electronics shop or dollar store, no?

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

lovely analog-style chorus and flange, only a decent analog delay but a really good tape delays, modulation delays, and digi-delays.

the EQ is only 3-band.

Thanks, I'm going to GC this week and try one out. Besides the user control is there any difference sound wise with the new Magicstomp II version?

Also, is the overdrive decent? I'm basically looking for a overdriven Fender type overdrive, like SRV, to kick in on the clean channel of my amp.

Also any loop suggestions would definitely help. I would like to have the time-based stuff through the loop and the overdrive up front. Is this possible?

Thanks again,

J.

• Members

Thanks, I'm going to GC this week and try one out. Besides the user control is there any difference sound wise with the new Magicstomp II version?

headphone out, deep editing w/out a PC. that's it.

Also, is the overdrive decent? I'm basically looking for a overdriven Fender type overdrive, like SRV, to kick in on the clean channel of my amp.

um, maybe. i don't mess with digital OD.

Also any loop suggestions would definitely help. I would like to have the time-based stuff through the loop and the overdrive up front. Is this possible?

Thanks again,

J.

if you mean the MS OD up front, then no. you can't separate fx patces like that, i.e. pre/post loop. there are upscale multis like that though--i think the VOX one, for example.

• Members

Actually the 'tube' overdrive is reasonably good. Also, one of the distortion types -- I think it's the 'classic' one, is pretty good into an overdriven amp. You can tweak the heck out of it with deep-editing.

I'm not too keen on most of the OD / distortion sounds... OK for messin' around, but the tone is not that great. The metal distortion patches can be pretty brutal ... :eek: Not for the feint of heart!

-- Joe

P.S. To the guy asking about USB... I'm pretty sure it's the very standard USB cable you can get at Radio Shack, Best Buy, and most discount stores.

• Members

WOW - FRICKIN -WEE!

i've just started editing/saving patches using the multihead. really cool tape delay sounds and oh so tweakable! i'm just lining em up: 150ms, 200ms, 250ms, etc., each one with slightly different sounds, for example one with old tape slurs and hiccups, another with a harsh treble fade, another with a dull bassy repeat, etc.

this is FUN!

• Members

Have any of you used it in a band situation or live setting?

Or is it geared more for bedroom playing and recording?

I'm really interested in the performance mode.

Can you strip a preset down to just chorus, for example, and assign it to say the "-" button and turn it on and off at will, like a stompbox?

If you do that with all three switches, will hitting one of the other buttons switch the first one off?

Thanks.

PS. It seems really fun to edit the patches with the PC. I'm kinda looking forward to it, like a kid with a new toy!

• Members

Have any of you used it in a band situation or live setting?

yes. it's lovely.

Or is it geared more for bedroom playing and recording?

no but it has amp sims for those who want to record or go to the PA.

I'm really interested in the performance mode.

me too

Can you strip a preset down to just chorus, for example, and assign it to say the "-" button and turn it on and off at will, like a stompbox?

yes. that's what's lovely about it. it's a multi/stompbox hybrid.

If you do that with all three switches, will hitting one of the other buttons switch the first one off?

yes. it'll take you to the next patch or, in the case of the middle one, turn of the effect.

Oh, one more thing. Can you chain effects together?

If so, how many at once, and can you pick the order?

patches based on FX combos must be variations on presets, unless there's something i'm missing.

• Members

Thanks for all the help.

This is what makes HC so cool.
:)

I'll post again as soon as I get one, or at least try one out.
:thu:

yeah, try-before-you-buy is always good, but, jsut to warn you, several of the factory presets are a but silly.

• Members

Well, I tried one out today at GC.

You were right, the presets do sound silly. I'd love to hear indivdual effects by themselves after tweaking on the PC. I liked the sound quality, although I couldn't tweak it the way I wanted to in the store.

I did notice the dropout when switching between patches, which really bugs me.

The overdrives sounded pretty natural, I thought, which was kind of a suprise. I would probably use this to fiddle around with at home more than rely on it for a gig.

Although I liked the unit, I definitely would not pay full price for one. I'll probably look around for a used one. It doesn't have to be the new one either.

Any thoughts, comments, let me know.

• Members

Well, I tried one out today at GC.

You were right, the presets do sound silly. I'd love to hear indivdual effects by themselves after tweaking on the PC. I liked the sound quality, although I couldn't tweak it the way I wanted to in the store.

I did notice the dropout when switching between patches, which really bugs me.

The overdrives sounded pretty natural, I thought, which was kind of a suprise. I would probably use this to fiddle around with at home more than rely on it for a gig.

Although I liked the unit, I definitely would not pay full price for one. I'll probably look around for a used one. It doesn't have to be the new one either.

Any thoughts, comments, let me know.

the gaps are only there with certain kinds of patches, oddly enough. there's an upgrade on the MS site to eliminate some though.

i view my MS as a missing link. it covers that one effect in a song that i don't have on my board. so for me it's more of a stomper with presets than a multi.

MF had MS-1.0 at $80 or $90, the price i paid. keep yr peepers peeled at other online shops for similar blowouts.

hopefully other MS users will post clips here. i will as soon as i get a USB interface....

• Members

My take on the MagicStomp is for $100 or less, you can't lose if you have gap in any modulations.

At the risk of repeating myself, when I bought it, I was only shopping for a reverb. I had just bought the Holier Grail reverb when I bought the the MagicStomp. To my ears, the reverbs on MagicStomp sounded as good, if not better! Plus, there are lots more reverb and echos on the MagicStomp. My personal favs are the tube echo and tape echo.

The MagicStomp includes presets that are *just* tremolo, phaser, reverb, chorus, etc. I'm pretty sure that these single patch effects have higher quality for that effect than you get on the multiple effect patches.

BTW, yesterday I received my TZF Paradox :love: , so I'm pretty sure the MagicStomp will be completely forgotten by me for any flanger, chorus, vibrato, or phaser effects. Still, it has those reverbs, and that alone is still worth it.

-- Joe

• Members

the gaps are only there with certain kinds of patches, oddly enough. there's an upgrade on the MS site to eliminate some though.

i view my MS as a missing link. it covers that one effect in a song that i don't have on my board. so for me it's more of a stomper with presets than a multi.

MF had MS-1.0 at $80 or $90, the price i paid. keep yr peepers peeled at other online shops for similar blowouts.

hopefully other MS users will post clips here. i will as soon as i get a USB interface....

I guess I was looking for something to replace multiple stomps, mainly chorus, delay, and reverb, but it would be nice to have a mild overdrive too. I really want it to be a multi.

• Members

has anyone tried using the MS as a preamp for recording with a mic?

good question, GuyaGuy!

and here's another, which i posted in another thread:

has anyone compared the Magicstop Multihead Delays with the UD Stomp?

supposedly, the MS can do everything that the UD does. just wondering if it's true and if the sounds are of the same quality.

• Members

MF had MS-1.0 at $80 or $90, the price i paid.

And at the end they had it for $69. I added one to my cart and kept getting the message it had been discontinued, so I was not able to buy it at that price. I think they sold those very quickly.

I haven't used mine for a while, so I can't really answer your questions. Overall I love mine. I think I paid around $100 for mine, and for $69 I tried to buy an extra one.

Eventually I'll get back to using the MS more, but for now I just don't have the time. FWIW, a lot of the presets I use are UD stomp presets. I have never compared them side by side, though. Maybe dot-dot-dot has?

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

Eventually I'll get back to using the MS more, but for now I just don't have the time. FWIW, a lot of the presets I use are UD stomp presets. I have never compared them side by side, though. Maybe dot-dot-dot has?

thanks.

from what can tell the interface may be better on the MS compared to the UD--plus the UD has only 3 presets. soundwise, i don't know. but if there is a difference it's probably not huge cuz the MS delays are SUH-WEET! the delay sounds you can get might just rival the DD-20's--and the MS is infinitely more tweakable than the DD-20 or the DL4.

...where's dot-dot-dot when you need him?

• Members

Sorry chaps!

I've not heard the Magicstomp except very briefly at LGS, so can't really offer much of an educated opinion. As I understood it, the Magicstomp offers nearly all the options of the UD, but doesn't have quite the same routing flexibility - it has a number of preset routing configurations, whereas the UD's routing is entirely "free".

I have been tempted to pick up a Magic to cover tremolo, phaser, odd reverbs and so on, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Archived