The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by scott_335

But, umm, I have a booster. I bought this thing for the chorus, trem, and other sounds. I just wish there was a way to turn off its preamp, or dial it in so that you cant tell its there.

You could try making a patch based on 3 band equaliser and set that to flat. Then you can switch from your chorus patch to the flat EQ patch

BTW, in which way do you feel the MS2 effects tone when Effect off ?

• Members

Originally posted by Web Surf

You could try making a patch based on 3 band equaliser and set that to flat. Then you can switch from your chorus patch to the flat EQ patch

BTW, in which way do you feel the MS2 effects tone when Effect off ?

the loop works great for my tube amp---even when effect is on----much better than in front of the amp---huge difference

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The firmware !!!

Now any MS, (even the older MK I) can run the Acoustic or Guitar or Bass patches

So any MS becomes all the various flavours of MS UB, EB, Acoustic.

and you can deep edit on board !!!

and get the anti-feedback control on the acoustic patches

And you get to run Vers 2.1 of the PC software

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Posted this elsewhere, copied here for completeness:

OK - gave it a more purposeful test this evening (I kept getting distracted with stadium rawk patches the other day Smile which, by the way, as Andi said are all a bit OTT - very gainy and bright but which tidy up ok)

Anyway, it was got as a potential replacement for hte UD-Stomp, so basically for delays and some modulation, so that's what I played around with:

The delays are excellent - quite close to the UD-Stomp on this front which means that it does an excellent impersonation of both tape and analogue delays although I think there are fewer options for multi-tap delay lines than on the UD, but I didn't spend a lot of time trying to reproduce this as I didn't use that feature much anyway. the good thing about a digital unit simulating (well) an analogue delay is that you can still have a {censored}load of delay time but with an analogue sound - nice.

The Plate and Spring reverb default patches are very good imo - the Spring one behaves in that mad oscillating way that a valve-driven spring reverb unit does on loud, high frequency sounds - very convincing, but a sound that you love or hate. The plate setting is a really useable workaday ambience that can be tweaked to taste.

Opto Trem is a nice effect - easily as good as the mainstream standalone pedals, although like they all do it lacks that certain 'throb' that amp-based trem imparts.

Flanging is similarly very good. Phasing is . . .ok. I may be spoiled by my limited edition BYOC pedal here though. It seemed fine on gainy sounds but on gritty or cleaner settings it lacked something in comparison (noise probably Laughing )

imho at the current 'flog-em-off' street price of

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Folks,

HERE
is the upgrade file for V.2.10...despite what Yamaha have said, this WILL bring a Mk 1 MagicStomp up to Mk 2 spec, and will then load patches from any of the MS range...have fun:thu:

This is a .mid file......how do I load this into my Magicstomp so that it upgrades my MkI to a MkII??:confused:

• Members

This is a .mid file......how do I load this into my Magicstomp so that it upgrades my MkI to a MkII??
:confused:

----------------------------

For WINDOWS98,ME,2000,XP

* If the Magicstomp USB driver has not yet been installed, please do so by following the instructions on the user's manual.

* If the YAMAHA MidRadio has not yet been installed, please do so by downloading the software from one of the following URL addresses :

http://www.playersparadise.net/download/

1. Download the update and extract the file onto your computer.

[ub99_v2.10.mid]

Download

2. Without connecting the USB cable, turn ON your Magicstomp [plug in the power] while holding down the (STORE) and (-) buttons.

3. Check to see that your Magicstomp display reads, "UB99 P.LOAD V___ V_____ CNECT USB".

4. Connect Magicstomp and the PC using the USB cable.

5. Check to see that the lower line on your Magicstomp display reads, "NOW WAITING".

6. Activate YAMAHA MidRadio.

7. Go to [Options] on the menu bar, and choose the [Playback] tab. Select "YAMAHA USB OUT 0-1" under [select MIDI device].

8. Drag and drop the update data file (*.mid) onto the MidRadio window.

9. As the file begins to read, check to see that the lower line of the Magicstomp display changes to "NOW CLEAR". Then 20 seconds later, check to see that it shows, "RECEIVINGH'0000".

10. Approximately 15 minutes later, the lower line of the display will read, "COMPLETE".

Upon seeing this, turn Magicstomp's power off.

Your upgrading procedures are now complete.

-------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just received my Mk1 Magicstomp (Ebay purchase) at the weekend - have upgraded to 2.10 firmware so ready to go. My plan is to replace my Line6 MM4 plus a couple of other pedals (Compressor, Delay) and reduce the overall size of my pedalboard. For the venues I play in, it's getting a little large!

Incredibly versatile wee box, just from the initial play about I've had with the editor software... although I can see why Mk1 wasn't that popular initially... you really needed the computer link for the editing, thankfully V2.1 gives you that without the need for the PC.

Cheers

BF

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Has anyone figured out how to use the Magicstomp's 8-band delays to create through zero flanging and/or other extreme/stable modulation effects? If so, would you mind sharing your settings? :wave::cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just out of curiosity, how well does this thing pan? I just sent payment on one, and plan to use the reverbs, delays, tremolo, etc, but Ive been wondering about the pan ability. The site says that it can....Could I get a pan/trem sound out of it?

There is actually a stock preset called "PanTrem." :wave::thu:

I tinkered a bit with the panning effect and came up with an incredibly wide/hypnotic pan/trem texture of my own and am quite impressed by the panning capabilities of the UB99's multiband delays.

Archived