The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

nice clips.. something with the reverb clips didn't hit home though ..
:thu:

you mean it doesn't demonstrate the reverb's potential or what?

i really like the reverb on the MS but it doesn't really do a spring. i've dound that to get clost to spring you have to add a hint of a really short delay for the percussive sound of the spring rattle. closer, but no cigar. but iuse amp reverb usually and use the MS reverb mostly for its 100% wet capabilities.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

you mean it doesn't demonstrate the reverb's potential or what?

i really like the reverb on the MS but it doesn't really do a spring. i've dound that to get clost to spring you have to add a hint of a really short delay for the percussive sound of the spring rattle. closer, but no cigar. but iuse amp reverb usually and use the MS reverb mostly for its 100% wet capabilities.

No , doesn't do justice to how my reverbs sound..

oh the spring reverb is a joke on the MS .. my deluxe reverb spoiled me ..

• Members

No , doesn't do justice to how my reverbs sound..

oh the spring reverb is a joke on the MS .. my deluxe reverb spoiled me ..

myabe i'll do some better clips later...

i find the plate + short delay does a better job than the "spring" setting but still no real deal.

but yeah, nothing wrong with a deluxe reverb's reverb! :thu:

• Members

myabe i'll do some better clips later...

i find the plate + short delay does a better job than the "spring" setting but still no real deal.

but yeah, nothing wrong with a deluxe reverb's reverb!

yeah do it ... at the end of the notes,... it has this real stale echo .. that just ruins things

• Members

yeah do it ... at the end of the notes,... it has this real stale echo .. that just ruins things

i done did it...

reverb II

longer times, delving more into different sounds.

i think you're right about the echo on the first demo. i wasn't playing the phrases live; they were looped. so it might've been the delay on the DL4 looper. oops!

i hadn't played much with the reverse gate before. that's swell!

er, so to speak...:rolleyes:

• Members

good job lil nizzle... definately more tasteful stuff there...

did you record direct , or mic ..?

thanks. yeah, does sound better.

everything was done thru the Toneport using the Bassman modeler and a Shure mic sim.

the reverse gate is cool. it's actually more of a delay sound but pretty cool. i'll have to play with that more tomorrow when i'm less hung over. last night was a friend's bachelor's party. my lesson of the night: Tecate and long island ice tea do NOT mix! :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I just bought an MS-I from ebay for $75, (plus shipping of course!). I should have it in a couple weeks or so. I was here a few months ago asking questions and decided to look at other units. I finally decided to go with the MS, due to the high marks for the sound quality. I plan to use it for effects only through the loop of my JSX, and in front of my little practice amp's clean channel.

I downloaded the sound editor and it looks pretty involved, but I think I'll get the hang of it once I start playing with it. I especially like the compare feature and the fact that you can hear the changes of the buttons in realtime.

Anyway, I just wanted to join the MS users circle and ask if there is anything I should expect or watch out for when it arrives to optimize the set-up time and/or playability. Also any tips/tricks for a good start-up would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

• Members

Originally posted by UsrName

Well, I just bought an MS-I from ebay for $75, (plus shipping of course!). I should have it in a couple weeks or so. I was here a few months ago asking questions and decided to look at other units. I finally decided to go with the MS, due to the high marks for the sound quality. I plan to use it for effects only through the loop of my JSX, and in front of my little practice amp's clean channel.

I downloaded the sound editor and it looks pretty involved, but I think I'll get the hang of it once I start playing with it. I especially like the compare feature and the fact that you can hear the changes of the buttons in realtime.

Anyway, I just wanted to join the MS users circle and ask if there is anything I should expect or watch out for when it arrives to optimize the set-up time and/or playability. Also any tips/tricks for a good start-up would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

1. don't expect much from the factory presets. :freak:

2. but don't ignore those presets. it'll give you ideas of how to make GOOD sounds.

3. if you don't like the sound go REALLY deep into the deep editing. for example, there's a 3-band EQ just for the trem--in addition to the 3 wave forms, master volume, etc. sometimes it's almost like designing your own pedal! :idea:

4. start by twiddling with the phaser or flanger. you'll soon hear how good the sounds are but also how versatile the box is.

• Members

1. don't expect much from the factory presets.
:freak:
2. but don't ignore those presets. it'll give you ideas of how to make GOOD sounds.

3. if you don't like the sound go REALLY deep into the deep editing. for example, there's a 3-band EQ just for the trem--in addition to the 3 wave forms, master volume, etc. sometimes it's almost like designing your own pedal!
:idea:
4. start by twiddling with the phaser or flanger. you'll soon hear how good the sounds are but also how versatile the box is.

Thanks, after seeing all the parameters in the sound editor, it does seem like designing your own pedal! :eek:

I can't wait to hear the sound quality. I was originally going to get a dg stomp, but I figured I could get that plus many extras with the MS. ;)

I'll report my results when I've had a chance to play with it. I'll probably have more questions/observations then.

Thanks again.

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

Some of the Patches available at the MagicStomp site are actually good.

Try some of the UD-Stomp presets.

That's definitely my first goal. One of the main reason I got the MS is because I couldn't really swing the UD stomp right now. So I figured I'm getting the next best thing. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

Wow, good to see this lounge is still up. Anyone know how to fix an intermittent on/off switch?

i've not opened one up, but my guess is that they're made like the Line 6 modeling pedals like the DL4. on those a spring is attached to the switch and hte spring depresses a tactile button.

here's my description from a Line thread:

it turns out that the switches aren't what they seem. they may LOOK like regular Carling-style switches but they in fact are just a "plunger" switch that looks like this:

it hits the button on the PCB. the spring hits a tactile button like this:

so when people talk about getting the switch replaced, most likely the tech is stretching out or realigning the spring that connects the plunger with the button.

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

Yeah, that's exactly how it is...I cracked it open a while ago. Guess I have to replace the button - everything else looked ok.

Also, maybe it's a good thing I bookmarked
this page.
Clippage!

did you try pushing the button to see if that's it? those things rarely die, i'm told. wouldn't hurt to check that first. just plug in the power and see if the button does anything.

they're cheap to replace but not as easy a fix as a true bypass switch.

but now that you've seen hte guts...

any chance of there being room in there for a TB switch?

i'm guessing not since the pcb is right under it but i thought i'd ask. :idea:

• Members

Does anyone know about the firmware version upgrade on the MS-I?

I've seen several reviews that mention that they upgraded to version 1.8???

I know it should flash on the screen when I get mine, but I just wanted to know the latest version that's out there. Also, is this the same version that's on the MS-II? What exactly does the upgrade do or fix?

Thanks for any help.

J.

• Members

Does anyone know about the firmware version upgrade on the MS-I?

I've seen several reviews that mention that they upgraded to version 1.8???

I know it should flash on the screen when I get mine, but I just wanted to know the latest version that's out there. Also, is this the same version that's on the MS-II? What exactly does the upgrade do or fix?

Thanks for any help.

J.

Nevermind, I found the answer on the website. But still feel free to comment. :wave:

• Members

I will admit I didnt read every page of this thread, but I am on my way out the door so I thought I'd give it a shot out there...

magicstomp or line 6 verbzilla for reverbs? I know it can do like 029384 other things but say I was just considering it for reverbs...

What do you think?

I like a lot of ambient stuff, thick sounding reverbs but also ones that glisten and make you feel like you must be in a really huge space. :)

• Members

One more question:

How do you change the tuning freq to say, eb or drop d? Which frequency corresponds to which note? Thanks.

not sure i follow.

are you talking about tuning yr guitar or pitchshifting?

for tuning, the display shows the note (Eb, D, etc.)

Originally posted by SeanGuitar

magicstomp or line 6 verbzilla for reverbs?

excellent reverbs but not quite as versatile as the verbzilla.

• Members

not sure i follow.

are you talking about tuning yr guitar or pitchshifting?

for tuning, the display shows the note (Eb, D, etc.)

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I must have misread something in the manual. I only saw the frequency given in the tuner section. I'll have to read it again, should be pretty simple. :freak:

• Members

Wow! I just plugged in the MS, and I'm blown away at the sounds this thing can produce. I haven't even touched the sound editor yet and I love what I'm hearing. I especially like it can sound really hi-fi or lo-fi.

Needless to say, I will be selling my boss pedals, namely the DD-3, CE-2, and the tuner. Plus the NOS ME-5 that I have. I'll probably hold on to the dirt boxes though, maybe.

Anyway, I got the MS mainly for chorus, delay and reverb, and I must say I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't been so inspired to play by a piece of equipment in a long while.

Archived