What's in the mail??

Crxsh

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sonically, I preferred the X4 over the DD-20, by a significant margin. And if you use the looper it's no context, the X4 is far superior. But the DD-20 is a workhorse, and build quality/switches do seem more robust to me. So for live use, it's a great gigging delay, for home/recording use though, I'd take the X4 over it.

• Members

Sonically, I preferred the X4 over the DD-20, by a significant margin. And if you use the looper it's no context, the X4 is far superior. But the DD-20 is a workhorse, and build quality/switches do seem more robust to me. So for live use, it's a great gigging delay, for home/recording use though, I'd take the X4 over it.

I actually prefer the DD-20 to the x4 sonically. I played one show with the x4 and immediately got rid of it. The lack of a tone knob really is a deterrent, the repeats didn't cut at all (even with the level cranked). A lot of the settings on the x4 just sound cheesy to me (2290 w/mod, analog, analog w/mod), the only mode I liked was Space. I absolutely love the Modulate mode on the DD-20, it's one of my favorite sounds out of any delay.

• Members

^erm right, but what's the point? i just dont like the buffer... (or i think i can hear some difference...)

I can see where you're coming from. Like everything, it comes down to taste. How transparent is the Timefactor? That might be the next one to try for me.

• Members

I can see where you're coming from. Like everything, it comes down to taste. How transparent is the Timefactor? That might be the next one to try for me.

its ok imo. i dont hear that much of tone change... i think its just a slightly difference to others, but better as the nova delay from T.C. or as Boss and Line6...

• Members

If your tone going into the pedal is good, the tone coming out should be as well, am I right? I always wanted to try the Timefactor.

I actually prefer the DD-20 to the x4 sonically. I played one show with the x4 and immediately got rid of it. The lack of a tone knob really is a deterrent, the repeats didn't cut at all (even with the level cranked). A lot of the settings on the x4 just sound cheesy to me (2290 w/mod, analog, analog w/mod), the only mode I liked was Space. I absolutely love the Modulate mode on the DD-20, it's one of my favorite sounds out of any delay.

The modulate mode on the DD-20 is indeed good. The DD-20 I had seemed to need the level pretty close to cranked to reach unity, and almost no chance for a boost (not that I would need or want that), whereas the X4 had a very nice range for level, right around noon was unity, with plenty of room for a boost, or a decrease. Sounds like our findings were the reverse. Space mode on the X4 was great, I would agree. My favorite of the bunch. But I thought both analog settings were great. And the cleans on the X4 (2290 2290 w/mod) are a lot cleaner sounding than what the DD-20 offers, at least I thought so. I would agree that a tone control on the X4, as well as separate speed and depth controls for modulation would be very welcome. It's a pretty simple/sparse delay, given it's size. I actually still like the delays on my M5 a lot, they have what both the DD-20 and M5 lack, more tweakability and more modes to choose from.

I have a Vox Delaylab coming this week that I'm reviewing for PGS, can't wait to hear this one. Seems like a direct competitor to the X4 and DD-20. And the DL-4 as well.

• Members

If your tone going into the pedal is good, the tone coming out should be as well, am I right? I always wanted to try the Timefactor.

The modulate mode on the DD-20 is indeed good. The DD-20 I had seemed to need the level pretty close to cranked to reach unity, and almost no chance for a boost (not that I would need or want that), whereas the X4 had a very nice range for level, right around noon was unity, with plenty of room for a boost, or a decrease. Sounds like our findings were the reverse. Space mode on the X4 was great, I would agree. My favorite of the bunch. But I thought both analog settings were great. And the cleans on the X4 (2290 2290 w/mod) are a lot cleaner sounding than what the DD-20 offers, at least I thought so. I would agree that a tone control on the X4, as well as separate speed and depth controls for modulation would be very welcome. It's a pretty simple/sparse delay, given it's size. I actually still like the delays on my M5 a lot, they have what both the DD-20 and M5 lack, more tweakability and more modes to choose from.

I have a Vox Delaylab coming this week that I'm reviewing for PGS, can't wait to hear this one. Seems like a direct competitor to the X4 and DD-20. And the DL-4 as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stratguy23

View Post

How? Where? That is SO awesome!

I've got a BJFE Baby Blue Overdrive in the mail, shipping from Finland is SO slow!

Really? All of mine got here in 3-4 business days. Kicking myself that I didn't jump on the BBOD. Miss my old one a lot.

And yes, where do I get the red Timmy? Looks hawt.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mmolteratx

View Post

Really? All of mine got here in 3-4 business days. Kicking myself that I didn't jump on the BBOD. Miss my old one a lot.

And yes, where do I get the red Timmy? Looks hawt.

Hmm, customs maybe is what's keeping mine? Sadly there's a hole waiting for the BBOD to fill on my board. What did you like about the BBOD? My goal was to not buy anymore pedals this year, but I had to jump on the BBOD since it was WAY cheaper than they go for used.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stratguy23

View Post

Hmm, customs maybe is what's keeping mine? Sadly there's a hole waiting for the BBOD to fill on my board. What did you like about the BBOD? My goal was to not buy anymore pedals this year, but I had to jump on the BBOD since it was WAY cheaper than they go for used.

There's a bit of fuzz around the edges that just sounds fantastic for mid gain leads. Not much of a rhythm box though and mine was a V1 with less output. Very dynamic as well. And ya, I sold mine for $550. Bought it for more though at the top of the market. facepalm.gif

Archived