The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnderMocs

View Post

I {censored}ing love this record.

and {censored} mesas. I still need to move my F100. Sat on craigslist for a long time, I think I'm gonna do consignment at the guitar shop.

Aren't the F series supposed to be great amps? Guess you're just using the Ampeg more?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by humancertainty

View Post

I don't know if they're renting or what. I wouldn't be surprised if he borrowed Theron from The Roller's gear, though. These last three shows were all from a rental company and Emperor is providing all of the backline tonight.

I may come see you all in Columbus

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD

View Post

Got some stiff fixed up today and assembled this rig just now. It effing shook the walls like nobody else's business.

Geetar -> Red Llama clone (used as preamp) -> Acoustic 300 slave amp -> Traynor 2x15"

28me8if.jpg

The Acoustic goes to 20. Not 10, not 11, but 20. Eff you spinal tap! evil.gif

Is that a bass amp? Probably a dumb question I know.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Naterel

View Post

What can you guys tell me about the Mountainking Megalith?

Should I get this or look for another Bluebeard as I sold mine to my bassist (sounds wayyyy better on bassbut loved it for the low gain garage rock sound it puts out)

It's way heavy and legit as {censored}. I'm borrowing theharakiriend's right now and awesome. I've never played a bluebeard so I can't compare.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by aussy

View Post

Aren't the F series supposed to be great amps? Guess you're just using the Ampeg more?

It is a great amp. It's just too {censored}ing loud, big, heavy. 2x12 combo, like 100 lbs easy. Big cab too, take up a lot of space in car. And its just too loud. Cleans just are too stiff. The ampeg gets nice and juicy and compressed but still clean at band volume.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cooki3monster

View Post

Is that a bass amp? Probably a dumb question I know.

The Acoustic 300 is a slave amp which is essentially a power amp with the capability to be chained/"slaved" with other power amps for easy control. So yes and no. Acoustic originally released it to power PA gear, but even back then there was not much distinction between guitar and bass gear (fits this amp). It kicks infinite amounts of ass, but Acoustic slaves are fairly rare. Look out for Sunn and Traynor slaves for a similar thing. The cab is neither here nor there and can be used with both guitar and bass assuming the proper speakers are in it (not the stock ones).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD

View Post

The Acoustic 300 is a slave amp which is essentially a power amp with the capability to be chained/"slaved" with other power amps for easy control. So yes and no. Acoustic originally released it to power PA gear, but even back then there was not much distinction between guitar and bass gear (fits this amp). It kicks infinite amounts of ass, but Acoustic slaves are fairly rare. Look out for Sunn and Traynor slaves for a similar thing. The cab is neither here nor there and can be used with both guitar and bass assuming the proper speakers are in it (not the stock ones).

Thank you sir. If I was looking for one what would I look up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cooki3monster

View Post

Thank you sir. If I was looking for one what would I look up.

Well, if you specifically want a slave/power amp, then I would suggest into looking at old ones like Acoustic's 200/300/400, Sunn's Alpha/Concert/Colliseum Slave or Traynor's PM series. For maximum doom, I would look into some "full" heads from these companies. I would seriously encourage you to try and find some vintage Acoustic heads (and cabs if you can!) like the 140/150b/150, 270, 450/470 or any other ones that you can find. They sound great, are loud as hell and have lots of tonal options.

Archived