The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by humancertainty

View Post

I had one and wasn't too stoked on it. But I love everyone elses tone that I've heard play through them. For $300, you can't go wrong. It would be no problem at all to flip it for that price or a profit if you decide you don't like it.

What about a 78 JMP Superlead 100? If you could get that or a 72 Superlead for 350 more, which would you go with?

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by TheHarakiriEnd

View Post

What about a 78 JMP Superlead 100? If you could get that or a 72 Superlead for 350 more, which would you go with?

I'd probably go with the JMP, to be honest. I have a '74 Superlead that is pretty rad, but I'm selling it.

If I could only have one amp, it would be a 2203.

I do believe that the 72 is point-to-point, though, if you care about such things.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TheHarakiriEnd

View Post

if you can get those amps for $650 for either one i'ld try to buy both of them. you'ld be crazy not to if there was any way you could afford it. you could sell the one you liked less and probably come close to covering the whole thing. meaning you get one of the world's greatest amps for 0-200ish dollars.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by .homewrecker.

View Post

I think his really early builds weren't up to snuff and looked messy inside, but his more recent stuff is cleaner. I have one of the 4x12s and it's solid as a rock.

I believe this to be the case. Remember the picture of that Louks that looked like the guts were a pile of spaghetti?

This one is much cleaner on the inside. I don't know if it is because it's a one off or Ben had begun to clean up his amp wiring by the time he did this one.

I haven't had a single issue with it and I have gig'd albeit only once with it. I don't get out that often as the other two guys in the band are busy breeding constantly and now have 6 kids between them.

I'll tell you what though, this amp has an awesome clean and warm tone. Cranked it roars.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

if you can get those amps for $650 for either one i'ld try to buy both of them. you'ld be crazy not to if there was any way you could afford it. you could sell the one you liked less and probably come close to covering the whole thing. meaning you get one of the world's greatest amps for 0-200ish dollars.

I think he means that one of the Marshalls is $350 more than the other, not $350 more than the Laney.

Those amps go for $1000+ all day long.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD

View Post

Just placed an order for a new speaker for my Peavey Black Widow 1x18". {censored}'s going to be sickkkkk, can't wait.

Years ago the bass player in my band used one of those. He played a Traynor YBA-1 through it. It sounded great.

He not only loved it, he was in love with it. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Krallum

View Post

Need a second head, need reccomendations.

Looking at ampeg v4s but they seem to be too pricey right now

seems like ampegs sunns and sound citys are through the roof on prices. . . with that said a bassman running kt88s sounds kinda interesting. . . . idea.gif

• Members

My first amp is a Laney VH100r. I've debating putting KT88s in my laney but i'm not sure if they will fit first of all and it already sounds doomy enough with just an EQ in the loop, and i don't really need more volume. I'd like something thats a little bit less gritty and gainy, ie an Ampeg v4 or Model T with a fuzz/distortion in front.

The good tones i've heard live have been from Model Ts, V4s, Coliseum Leads (suprisingly), and Mig (100s?) with {censored} in front that i can't always see. This is coming from Struck by lightning (live tone was totally different than the album), Howl, and a ton of local bands that i think have awesome live tonez

that being said i can almost never feel right with the same gear as someone redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl

View Post

Speaking of not being into it, I'm about halfway through the Metal Swim comp, and nothing has really rocked me yet.

cry.gif

It may be B-sides but I just get super excited about music I haven't heard yet from my favorite bands.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL

View Post

Years ago the bass player in my band used one of those. He played a Traynor YBA-1 through it. It sounded great.

He not only loved it, he was in love with it. thumb.gif

Yeah, it's a great cab. It sounds really good, my speaker's voice coil is partly busted and so I'm getting a new speaker. I should try running my Bassmaster through it as well, I play a YBA-4 which is basically identical to the YBA-1. I can't wait to fire up my Acoustics through it though. love.gif

View Post

My first amp is a Laney VH100r. I've debating putting KT88s in my laney but i'm not sure if they will fit first of all and it already sounds doomy enough with just an EQ in the loop, and i don't really need more volume. I'd like something thats a little bit less gritty and gainy, ie an Ampeg v4 or Model T with a fuzz/distortion in front.

Acoustic Control Corporation is the answer. Grab yourself a 150, 230 or maybe even a 450 with some pedal dirt and you'll be in doom heaven.

• Members

View Post

Yeah i don't know the difference between those, is it just that the V4BHs don't have reverb tanks or something?

either way i hope i get one that shocks the {censored} out of me everytime i turn it on

That's the only difference.

Also, get one without distortion on it.

Archived