The Doom Room: HCFX Edition

• Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got some stiff fixed up today and assembled this rig just now. It effing shook the walls like nobody else's business.

Geetar -> Red Llama clone (used as preamp) -> Acoustic 300 slave amp -> Traynor 2x15"

28me8if.jpg

The Acoustic goes to 20. Not 10, not 11, but 20. Eff you spinal tap! evil.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by humancertainty

View Post

If you are ever getting rid of that Acoustic head....Ever....

I love both of my vintage Acoustics (140 and 300) far too much, but if I ever do. thumb.gif If there was ever gear made to play LOUD and super punchy, then this was it, a match made in heaven for all the stoner/doom/etc. Enormous props to Russ Allee for his amazing designs! love.gif

• Members

this is the current setup, for the most part. i'm not real big on posting pics of my gear, but i often like looking at them and i'm particularly happy with this right now, though it's probably about to change. for the record, i have a rack for the rectifier that's not shown in this picture 'cause i just got done changing preamp tubes. and i'm working out my reverb situation. got a holy grail but i've got to figure something else out to get reverb to both amps after the dirt. i'm using the crunch box on the marshall and the amp distortion on the rectifier. i might trade the rectifier for a 1980 jmp 2203 and go with dual marshalls for a while.

[ATTACH]325759[/ATTACH]

i really wanted this to not be a thumbnail, but i don't know how to do that. not computer smart.

• Members

View Post

Parker...

{censored} THE MESA

GET

THE

2203!!

it's my plan to do so. but it's a trade that originated from craigslist, so until it happens it's not a sure thing. i'm usually surprised when people from craigslist don't flake out. the setup right now actually sounds way better than i thought it would. clearly another 2203 with some other kind of dirt would be better. obviously i'm getting most of the sound from the marshall. at least this is better than only one amp. as of yesterday i am now the only guitar player in my band, so it's crucial to get a little more power up and running. you know why they call it a half stack, right? 'cause it's only half an amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

it's my plan to do so. but it's a trade that originated from craigslist, so until it happens it's not a sure thing. i'm usually surprised when people from craigslist don't flake out. the setup right now actually sounds way better than i thought it would. clearly another 2203 with some other kind of dirt would be better. obviously i'm getting most of the sound from the marshall. at least this is better than only one amp. as of yesterday i am now the only guitar player in my band, so it's crucial to get a little more power up and running. you know why they call it a half stack, right? 'cause it's only half an amp.

Indeed. And it sounded like you and that other guitarist weren't gonna work together so well, anyhow.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TheHarakiriEnd

View Post

So I saw the picture of your gear a page back but what is your main setup?

Seriously , I switch between those 3 amps or any combination of them. It's hard to make up my mind which one/s to play at practice and gigs. I really like them all. If I need one with a MV I run the rockerverb. Recent jamroom pic :

4974862544_5b9e3e12cb.jpg

ofjamroom by jjg2007, on Flickr

• Members

Sleep ruled. Al and Matt are always awesome people to be around. Their merchers are both friends of mine. Their TM is rad. Jason is rad.

An excellent three days. And it's three times more than I ever expected to see Sleep.

Before anyone asks, Matt's rig was:

2 JCM 800 2210s

4 Orange 4x12s

Gibson Les Paul

MXR/CAE Boost/Overdrive

MXR EVH Phase 90

MXR Carbon Copy

Morley A/B/Y

Dunlop volume pedal

However, I know tonight he is using Emperor 4x12s and at least one of the heads is gonna be one of my Model Ts.

• Members

View Post

Sleep ruled. Al and Matt are always awesome people to be around. Their merchers are both friends of mine. Their TM is rad. Jason is rad.

An excellent three days. And it's three times more than I ever expected to see Sleep.

Before anyone asks, Matt's rig was:

2 JCM 800 2210s

4 Orange 4x12s

Gibson Les Paul

MXR/CAE Boost/Overdrive

MXR EVH Phase 90

MXR Carbon Copy

Morley A/B/Y

Dunlop volume pedal

However, I know tonight he is using Emperor 4x12s and at least one of the heads is gonna be one of my Model Ts.

VERY cool man. Your band rules btw. Any idea what he's running for the austin show ?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo68

View Post

VERY cool man. Your band rules btw. Any idea what he's running for the austin show ?

I don't know if they're renting or what. I wouldn't be surprised if he borrowed Theron from The Roller's gear, though. These last three shows were all from a rental company and Emperor is providing all of the backline tonight.

• Members

in general i get why people hate mesa's, and i'm certainly not a big advocate of them. but i had a chance years ago to play one of the two channel rectifiers and really felt i was able to dial in some good {censored}. had to tweak the hell out of it though. they're not easy amps to dial in unless you like sounding like some nu metal choad. but i liked it. the two channel ones are pretty different than the newer ones. anyway, i ended up getting one and i've liked it while i've had it. it's never been my only amp, but it was the main one for a little while. but i think i'm kind of over it with that amp. i still think it's good, though i won't stand up and say mesa's are all great and everything. i think i'm probably kind of done with two channel amps. i've been having a great time with older single channel heads and pedals and i think it's what i want to stick with. and everything i like about the mesa i can do better with something else i think.

on another note, seems weird that matt pike was playing 2210's. i don't know why but that's not what i expected.

and by the way, homewrecker, love the cormac mccarthy quote in your sig. killer book. it's from the crossing right?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso Forgottso

View Post

I've been listening to Earth's "The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull" quite a lot recently. Awesome album.

earth-bees-made-honey.jpg

I {censored}ing love this record.

and {censored} mesas. I still need to move my F100. Sat on craigslist for a long time, I think I'm gonna do consignment at the guitar shop.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

in general i get why people hate mesa's, and i'm certainly not a big advocate of them. but i had a chance years ago to play one of the two channel rectifiers and really felt i was able to dial in some good {censored}. had to tweak the hell out of it though. they're not easy amps to dial in unless you like sounding like some nu metal choad. but i liked it. the two channel ones are pretty different than the newer ones. anyway, i ended up getting one and i've liked it while i've had it. it's never been my only amp, but it was the main one for a little while. but i think i'm kind of over it with that amp. i still think it's good, though i won't stand up and say mesa's are all great and everything. i think i'm probably kind of done with two channel amps. i've been having a great time with older single channel heads and pedals and i think it's what i want to stick with. and everything i like about the mesa i can do better with something else i think.

on another note, seems weird that matt pike was playing 2210's. i don't know why but that's not what i expected.

and by the way, homewrecker, love the cormac mccarthy quote in your sig. killer book. it's from the crossing right?

Yessir, I'm about 50% through it now, and I still have to read Cities of the Plain. One of my favorite authors.

I really need to update my sig with my bands new tunes, way more along the lines of stuff dude's in this thread would dig.

Archived