lets talk about BIG MUFFS

Johansolo

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've played a good majority of all the standard ehx muffs

My favorite was the ehx ic big muff. Its was awesome. Size was huge though. So I got a mayo and sold it

When I think muff. Mayo is the first thing that comes to min. It is what I love about all my favorites wrapped into one

• Members

just got my very first big muff a couple of days ago: the BassBigMuff!

very nice thick fuzz, great for drones and doom and the wet/dry mix is very usefull for layering stuff and keeping some clarity in chords.

• Members
normal nyc mode. mode that takes the tone knob out (like the IC big muff), and then i believe there is a 3rd option?

Er, that would be the Wicker switch :lol:

And I can't remember how to describe it! It opens up high mid filter frequencies or something.

• Members

Couldnt have been around 94 cause I wasnt in town and had the pedal before leaving for a couple years.

Interesting. Sovtek was created in 1989 and Mike Matthews said the first Russian Muffs came out in 1990, so you may be a little off on your dates:)

The first Sovtek Muff was the Red Army Overdrive. I have one from 1991. The Civil War versions were next, and they came out somewhere between 1991 and 1993, then the CW colors changed to green. Then the graphics changed to just the tall Big Muff font on the same green box, the version you picture. From my research, the earliest that one could have been made would be 1993. The font changed to the "bubble" font after that, but the box stayed green.

Not that it matters, but I am always trying to pin down actual release dates.

Here are most of the Sovtek Muffs, from the 1990 RAO to the current black Russian Muff.

IMG_5154.jpg

• Members

Only a few of those are mine. That photo was from a sort-of Muff collectors get together this year. I think only one graphics version is missing from that group, big box black Russian with yellow bubble font.

I don't know why, but I plugged every one of them up in line and ran them all at the same time, each one set very low gain. That was a lot of fuzz!

• Members
Interesting. Sovtek was created in 1989 and Mike Matthews said the first Russian Muffs came out in 1990, so you may be a little off on your dates:)

The first Sovtek Muff was the Red Army Overdrive. I have one from 1991. The Civil War versions were next, and they came out somewhere between 1991 and 1993, then the CW colors changed to green. Then the graphics changed to just the tall Big Muff font on the same green box, the version you picture. From my research, the earliest that one could have been made would be 1993. The font changed to the "bubble" font after that, but the box stayed green.

Not that it matters, but I am always trying to pin down actual release dates.

Here are most of the Sovtek Muffs, from the 1990 RAO to the current black Russian Muff.

IMG_5154.jpg

I went away from 1991 to late 1993 and seem to recall already owning the pedal. Most of my gear was sourced from the local recycler trade paper as there was no internet yet. The pedal buying binge bug was mostly in 1989. The Muff came from Lawndale Jewelry and Loan when they were at the old location. I recall it very well since the clerk said "get that piece of commie crap outta my shop" and gave it to me for $20. Youll know more about the creation date than myself though. I just make noise with the thing.

• Members
Bump for Hoof info. Is the old 3-knob Hoof just a clone of an old muff variant or is it a higher quality NYC? (more usebale tone, more sustain?)

I'm sure there is someone who will give some more information, but if I recall correctly it's based on the green sovtek muff with two germanium transistors replacing two of the silicon transistors in the second and third stage. So due to those changes it has this HUGE growl to it without sounding to saturated, and also due to those modifications it can do a pretty good emulation of a germanium fuzz face with the tone back, and a silcon fuzz face with the tone rolled clockwise. Hope that helps :wave:.

• Members
I'm sure there is someone who will give some more information, but if I recall correctly it's based on the green sovtek muff with two germanium transistors replacing two of the silicon transistors in the second and third stage. So due to those changes it has this HUGE growl to it without sounding to saturated, and also due to those modifications it can do a pretty good emulation of a germanium fuzz face with the tone back, and a silcon fuzz face with the tone rolled clockwise. Hope that helps
:wave:

:thu:

• Members

really interested in getting a big muff and after finding this site...

im just curious on what others opinions are...

so lets talk about Big Muffs eg what you got/had/tried/recommended/would touch with a 10ft pole etc

im also interested in the Muff Variants (eg Little BM,Double,Tone Wicker etc)

FWIW ive owned a Big Muff a long long time ago, but had no clue what i was doing with it at the time...nor do i remember the model (was prob a NYC reissue)

I love mine. It's great for what it does. Definitely not something you would use all the time. One downside is it it doesn't pick up on your dynamics. Big muff+slightly scooped eq+full stack= Unreal fat ass distortion. As much as I like it, I don't really use it in band situations. Fun to play with though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here are my Muffs. A 1978 and a 2008. I am really gassing for a Green Sovtek. The ones floating around now seem a little rough.

IMG_0982.jpg

The OpAmp Muff actually sounds really good. Easily my favorite pedal.

IMG_0984.jpg

This is my next Muff. It is a BMP from GeneralGuitarGadgets.com. Here are the options:
* Triangle Version
* Ram's Head Version
* Violet Ram's Head Version
* Late 70's (3rd) Version
* Green Russian Reissue Version
* Black Russian Reissue Version
* GGG Tuned Version

I am torn between the Triangle, Ram's Head and the Green Sovtek. Any suggestions?

• Members

really interested in getting a big muff and after finding this site...

im just curious on what others opinions are...

so lets talk about Big Muffs eg what you got/had/tried/recommended/would touch with a 10ft pole etc

im also interested in the Muff Variants (eg Little BM,Double,Tone Wicker etc)

FWIW ive owned a Big Muff a long long time ago, but had no clue what i was doing with it at the time...nor do i remember the model (was prob a NYC reissue)

I like them. I have one. It stopped working. I think if I take it apart and bang on it it it might start working agin.It was working on and off for a long time then it stopped .

• Members
one of the few things i regret selling was my...

bassbigmuff.jpg

so much control, great options, awesome sound.

i forgot why i sold it, probably needed money.

i will get another. even if it doesnt stay on the board, i will use it in the studio. its such a great muff.

Dude, take off the {censored}ing v-neck and grow a pair. :facepalm:

• Members
Here are my Muffs. A 1978 and a 2008. I am really gassing for a Green Sovtek. The ones floating around now seem a little rough.

IMG_0982.jpg

The OpAmp Muff actually sounds really good. Easily my favorite pedal.

IMG_0984.jpg

This is my next Muff. It is a BMP from GeneralGuitarGadgets.com. Here are the options:

* Triangle Version

* Ram's Head Version

* Violet Ram's Head Version

* Late 70's (3rd) Version

* Green Russian Reissue Version

* Black Russian Reissue Version

* GGG Tuned Version

I am torn between the Triangle, Ram's Head and the Green Sovtek. Any suggestions?

I say Ram's Head1
If you need help check out my Big Muff page for sound clips:http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html

Archived