lets talk about BIG MUFFS

Johansolo

• Members

I was thinking about picking up new black big muff, its like $60 bucks at GC.

You like it?

Well for the money it costs, I think it's worth it. However, they are poorly built and break easily. Its not a pedal I keep on 100%, but it's decent if you want a muffy fuzzy sound and don't want to dish out cash for an older model.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From Wiki...

There also exists a customized limited edition Big Muff, called the Mogwai Big Muff. This pedal was designed by EHX for the Scottish band Mogwai, and has a slightly more extreme sound. Electro Harmonix produced only one hundred Mogwai Big Muff pedals.

• Members

My very first pedal was a green Russian muff. I've gone through all sorts of 'em over the years. These days, I only run the Skreddy muffs and a BYOC triangle
:thu:

...But I'd love to get my hands on a civil war muff
:D

tell me more about hte BYOC Large Beaver.

why did you build it to triangle spec(ie is it more desirable compared to rams?)

how is the 4 way eq switch on that ?

i think its come down to the BYOC vs Tonewicker for me

• Members

the Big Muff Tone/Wicker is the best bang for the buck with the biggest versatility to price ratio.

I prefer the older Ram's Heads and Red Army/Civil War Muffs best, but I really like the tone wicker too. I think it is the best out of all the USA Muffs made since E-H started making them here again in 2000. It's just a fun pedal to mess around with. For any of you who just could not figure out how to get a good sound out of the NYC "reissue" Muffs, this one is worth a listen.

• Members

thanks for all the replies...

ive decided its come down to the BM Tone Wicker VS the BYOC Large Beaver.

the Tone wicker is cheaper (around $130 AUD via Ebay US)

BYOC is $160-$180 AUD available locally

im kinda leaning more towards the BYOC as ive several of their builds...i would just have to decide on what spec to build it to (triangle/rams)

or should i just get both?

• Members

really interested in getting a big muff and after finding this site...

im just curious on what others opinions are...

so lets talk about Big Muffs eg what you got/had/tried/recommended/would touch with a 10ft pole etc

im also interested in the Muff Variants (eg Little BM,Double,Tone Wicker etc)

FWIW ive owned a Big Muff a long long time ago, but had no clue what i was doing with it at the time...nor do i remember the model (was prob a NYC reissue)

Dude after reading that blog I'm really missing my old civil war big muff:cry:

• Members

I like big muffs a little, here's mine: (some vintage ones and some modern ones, all loved)

(right click view image to see them all properly)

( I true bypassed the vintage ones and the green sovtek but kept the original big silver switch as it looks so {censored}ing cool)

MYBIFMUFFS.jpg

Nice little collection you have their. So what do you think about those late 70's muffs?

• Members

Nice little collection you have their. So what do you think about those late 70's muffs?

bmp1.jpg

I LOVE mine. So, so much volume available. The tone bypass is nice and heavy, but I use mine with the tone knob on just as often. It's growly, maybe more mids than NYCs. It's one of my desert island pedals.

One day I'll have a Civil War Muff. One day...

• Members

how do you like the bass big muff? ive had that on my list a while. I think it would kill through my ac-30.

and whats the second pedal?

The bass Muff into my 50W Bassman, into TWO 1960B cabs kills a fully grown elephant at 100meters :evil:

Orange box is Barber's TriFecta :thu:, i.e. three muff's in one box !

• Members

I ran into a black Russian BM at a pawn shop- nice for what it was, but I wasn't impressed. Then I picked up a green Sovtek, and holy cow! Really cool tone. Unfortunately, the "big cool silver footswitch" was broken, and I tried to repair it... now it's a paperweight until I can get around to dropping it at the closest repair store.

• Members

bmp1.jpg

I LOVE mine. So, so much volume available. The tone bypass is nice and heavy, but I use mine with the tone knob on just as often. It's growly, maybe more mids than NYCs. It's one of my desert island pedals.

One day I'll have a Civil War Muff. One day...

Yeah,I always wanted to get one, yet it's seems every time I finally get the chance to acquire one something always happens. One day, One day...

And the civil war muff:love::love::love: oh man, i still hold it as what a big muff should sound like. Still waiting for something to replace that empty space on my board. :cry:.

• Members

i've had the black russian, little big muff, green clone (frederic effects) and bass big muff.

i still have the bass big muff.

green clone sounds virtually identical. maybe 10% more gain and dynamics than the BBM.

LBM was more scoopy and has tons more gain.

Black Russian sound as 'big'.. generally a bit lame with the bypass too.

• Members

i've had the black russian, little big muff, green clone (frederic effects) and bass big muff.

i still have the bass big muff.

green clone sounds virtually identical. maybe 10% more gain and dynamics than the BBM.

LBM was more scoopy and has tons more gain.

Black Russian sound as 'big'.. generally a bit lame with the bypass too.

How do you like your Frederic Green clone? I'm thinking about getting one.

• Members

box is Barber's TriFecta
, i.e. three muff's in one box !

Nice. Might have to pick one up. I currently have the lbm (bc my rack wouldnt facilitate the usa), but have had the green, a usa, the black one, the mjm foxey fuzz, the guild version of the rams head (forgot the name), the general guitar gadgets bobble among others. I think I liked the green and general guitar gadgets best, to be honest. I still think the bass muff may give me more of what I want though because I feel the extreme compression of the muff seems to kill the bass. Through an ac-30 though, it cuts.

Archived