lets talk about BIG MUFFS

Johansolo

• Members

Question re the post 2 post above...why is that model called the muff prawn???

coz it smells like the Kailis Fish Market on a bad day...:poke:

especially wiv all dem hipster scene gurlz hangin' round Leederville... :freak:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've owned an Ernie, NYC, but this one was King:
RamsHeadBigMuffPics014.jpg

You lucky bastard...I have the newer black Russian. Love it...IMO, fuzz pedals should be the black sheep of any pedalboard. They should be ugly, big, scratched up, and sound muddy and gross (in a good way). Fuzz makes the definite guitar sound to me. Not a JCM800, a plexi, a dual rectifier, or a twin reverb. I think of the gnarly sound of a high gain, compressed fuzz.

The big muff is my favorite pedal, hands down.

• Members

Actually, do you have a preference between the bass muff and the trifecta? The clips of that sound pretty bitchin....

IF i can have only one of 'em . . . man, that's a hard one, but at the end, i will probably go w the Bass Muff (but just), as it sounds more Big Muff-like, than the Trifecta.

Saying that, BOTH units have huge low end (which i LOVE), the Bass Muff are born with it, and the Trifect can give you more low end as you turn the SLUDGE knob. It also have a push/pull knob to ad more mids on that TriFecta.

It really would be a hard choice - i am glad i have both !

• Members

How do you like your Frederic Green clone? I'm thinking about getting one.

it was really good, but i sold it on since the BBM did exactly the same thing but also had the extra dry and bass boost modes. i paid around the same for the frederic clone.. i think

• Members

IF i can have only one of 'em . . . man, that's a hard one, but at the end, i will probably go w the Bass Muff (but just), as it sounds more Big Muff-like, than the Trifecta.

Saying that, BOTH units have huge low end (which i LOVE), the Bass Muff are born with it, and the Trifect can give you more low end as you turn the SLUDGE knob. It also have a push/pull knob to ad more mids on that TriFecta.

It really would be a hard choice - i am glad i have both !

Well, the bass big muff is definitely cheaper....

• Members

I've never really liked that Big Muff sound. Every once in a while, I hear it and like it, but I just never thought I'd have a reason to buy one. With that said, I got a BM w/TW two days ago (thanks IRG!) and I'm absolutely in love with it. With the tone switch off, you basically get all your mids back, and it becomes exactly the fuzz I've been looking for. Vote #2 for the Tone Wicker.

Sounds promising. I may pick one up.

• Members
z100_3893.jpg

Mine, pocket metal muff, nyd re-issue, & smaller black russian; any idea if they are worth any more with the box? When I see these on CL, most of the time they don't include the box (probably using it to keep their weed in, LOL).

Some other odds & ends in there as well...

• Members

I hate it when people say Big Muffs are one trick ponies.

It's like those people never learned what the tone and sustain knobs do.

I like the XO Big Muffs a lot. I'm not too big a fan of the black russian or NYC muffs. They seem a little too loose and lacking in presence to me. Black Russian's a bit better than NYC. I like the Green Russian a lot. Not too big on the Way Huge Swollen Pickle Mk 2.

• Members

I picked up a green russian muff a few weeks ago from fellow forumite and I'm really liking it so far. I have a NYC muff, but I never managed to get it to cut through the way I wanted it to. The Green muff is just perfect though. Really dirty and fuzzy and midsy, and when you roll back on the volume it has a really nice overdrive tone.

• Members
These are my muffs....aqlthough I'm never sure if the Cornish G2 is a Muff or not.

5740_132294962065_669737065_2931789_5508

:love: that 70's font. I'm happy with my NYC. It's the slightly earlier version with the pointed knobs, and came in a wooden box, though I doubt there's any difference in tone to the bog-standard NYC reissues. I did have the Tone Wicker but for me it seemed a little superfluous, though I'd imagine it's more useful being used in conjunction with humbuckers than single coils :idk:

Actually, while we're talking about Muff's what is the real difference between the Earthquaker Hoof (the old three knob version) and a normal Muff? More useable tone pot? More sustain? Sounds like a specific type of Muff?

• Members

The muff has a cool sound, but it's ONE sound. Muff users tend to get addicted to the thing and use it on every song, kind of like dipping all their food in ranch dressing.

Look at Dinosaur Jr. A great sound, but ONE sound, over and over again....

Archived