The Ultimate Monsterpiece Appreciation Thread!

HMCMedic

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

WOW! 138 pages, looks like peeps are still digging these bad ass fuzz pedals! I'm hardly on here anymore but I still rock my triple headed Monsterpiece (the very first triple ever made I believe) It has some road rash on it but it still screams when I need it to. I should do a before and after pic! It's been 3 years or so since I started this thread and started rocking the Monsterpiece. My NPN's are still my favorite :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Richard, hi all,

just went through, well, maybe 40% of this monster thread. Very interesting. Very cool looking pedals, I love the sparkling orange one with the silver knobs. I'm currently looking for a fuzz, preferrably a dual fuzz, so I'm very interested in the 2-headed monster (and also in the Retroman Sybil).

Currently I use a Okko Twinsonic for boost/overdrive and a Fuzzhugger Ab-synth for really crazy fuzz. I'm looking for an additional, less crazy fuzz. I like early Gilmour, but also the real "fuzzy" tones from 70s non-hard-rock movie soundtracks.

A few questions:

1. I want to power my fuzz from a daisy chained power supply (Diago Powerstation). This will not work with some of the Monsterpiece models, like the PNP because of positive ground transistors, right? So which of the Mosterpiece models could be combined into a daisychain powered 2-headed monster?

2. Which of the remaining options (=daisy chain compatible models) would you suggest for great sound + sonic versatility? Would be used mainly with a Tele and a BF Princeton clone, sometimes also a AC30.

3. On GMD's fuzz shootout

he uses a Tele and a Fender amp, similar to my setup, so I use it as a reference. There, I like the Fulltone 69 best. The (silicone) Sunface is a close second, so it doesn't seem to be a silicon vs. germanium thing for me. The NPN sounds to dark for my taste here. Does this mean the NPN is just not for me, or is this a question of tweaking the knobs?

4. What are the dimensions of a standard 2-headed monster? Or, asked the other way around, could it be built into a Hammond 1590BB size enclosure? Because that is about all the space I've got left on my pedalboard :-)

TIA and best wishes,

Sascha

• Members
:wave:

1. The Monsterpiece NPN, Scratchy Snatch and Monsterpiece AD2000 are both negative ground circuits and can safely be daisy chain powered with other pedals. The others ~ PNP, Classic, the MK's, and Monster Drive ~ will need their own dedicated power source due to the positive ground circuit

2. An NPN / AD2000 combo would be a good way to go in a 2 Headed. The NPN has it's origins in the Fuzz Face family, and the Angry Dick 2000 is essentially a Jordan Bosstone clone.

3. I can tweak the NPN to be brighter by adjusting the value of the caps

4. I normally use a 1790NS for the 2 headed monsters (Size: 5 5/8 x 4 5/8 x 1 9/16 inches), but suspect I can probably squeeze an NPN/AD2000 combo into a 1590BB size :cool:

• Members

Hi Richard,

thanks for your quick response. Sounds great. More questions:

1. Do I get it right that the Scratchy Snatch is like a more versatile NPN? So with the toggle switch on "Tone Bypass", you have a NPN, and with the tone stack active you add some Big Muff Flavour?

2. Would a Scratchy Snatch / AD2000 2-headed monster be a possible option (even in a 1590BB), or does the Scratchy Snatch circuit require more space?

3. How much would a 2-headed monster in a 1590BB cost me, either SS/AD2000 or NPN/AD2000, including shipping to Germany? Sparkling Orange with silver knobs like in the pic below.

Monsterpiece386-001.jpg

Thanks,
Sascha

:wave:

1. The Monsterpiece NPN, Scratchy Snatch and Monsterpiece AD2000 are both negative ground circuits and can safely be daisy chain powered with other pedals. The others ~ PNP, Classic, the MK's, and Monster Drive ~ will need their own dedicated power source due to the positive ground circuit

2. An NPN / AD2000 combo would be a good way to go in a 2 Headed. The NPN has it's origins in the Fuzz Face family, and the Angry Dick 2000 is essentially a Jordan Bosstone clone.

3. I can tweak the NPN to be brighter by adjusting the value of the caps

4. I normally use a 1790NS for the 2 headed monsters (Size: 5 5/8 x 4 5/8 x 1 9/16 inches), but suspect I can probably squeeze an NPN/AD2000 combo into a 1590BB size
:cool:

• Members

Got my Monsterpiece Classic a few days ago, and I've got a NPN on the way soon. Left a bit of space for it on my board. ;) I'm extremely happy with the Classic so far, and reading all the praise around here I don't think I will be disappointed with the NPN.

pedalbord%20005.jpg

• Members
Ahh Richard I love that color hammertone. Do you get your boxes painted by PPP by chance? I'd love to get that color
:love:

I typically do all of my own drilling and painting :D
That one is Rust-O-leum (or however it is spelled) hammered copper

I can get hammered copper, silver, gold, brown, black, and dark green locally...

• Members

If I'm not mistaken, this pedal soon will be mine. Can't wait to get it onto my board. :rawk: I love the Classic, the best fuzz I've ever used, really dynamic and versatile. :love: I could do a gig using it as my only dirt pedal. So, my hopes are high for the NPN.

next teaser pic
:cool:

Monsterpiece541-001.jpg

Archived