FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• Members

I have to admit, I have had the Hoax since it came out, and I gave up on it, it gathered dust until recently, and this thread has made me so glad I didn't sell it. I never had an FX loop until recently...that made all the difference. What a great piece!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, it sounds good in front as far as chewing the signal a bit more, but the noise is almsot unbearable. it is prob 80% less noisey in the efx loop. do yourself a favor and put it in a looper with a micro amp, you'll love it more. its the one pedal that just gives me chills on how good it sounds.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by R Corso

View Post

Why the micro amp? I gotta tell you, maybe it's the way the FX loop is designed in my amp, (AC50 CP) but I am not hearing any drop.

cool thats the same amp i use!

wow, i haven't heard of anyone using it on the forums yet, do you have the matching 4x12? i love this amp,

anyway, i prob could take the micro amp out, i use to use it like that for another amp, but your right, with this amp, it seems like i haven't even messed with the micro amp to compensate since i've had the amp.

one thing i've noticed on channel 2 of the amp is that it does not like the hoax, i get a large portion of clipping (not the good kind). and it still does it even if i use the -10 cut on the efx loop on the amp.

Thanks for making me realize tow things

1. i should move my micro amp and use it as a boost in front

2. i probably don't need a looper anymore....

man i'm dumb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi guys I recently bought this amazing pedal and after fiddling with the knobs for a couple of days I made 2 pretty cool presets smile.gif ...I'm still trying to figure this thing out, man what an amazing pedal eek.gif

The first one is a kind of a Leslie sound, and the other one is pretty "vocal" or "throaty" sounding flange...

leslieea4.png

talkinflangerp0.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just played one a few days ago. god this is giving me such gas! it's seriously the flanger/phaser of my dreams! its big (I dotn like big pedals) but so worth it.

as soon as I have a couple hundred to spare, its mine. I play drone/prog/experemental rock, noise, electroacoustic and ambient. this is PERFECT for these!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralJulian

View Post

I wish the Flanger Hoax could do all the polyphase crap and had expression. Then I'd ditch my flange and the polyphase and get one.

The Hoax is so idiosyncratic, it can't really approximate any other EHX pedal, and no other pedal I've ever tried can sound like the Hoax. IMO, FWIW, the only reason to get a Hoax is because you love the uniqueness of its approach to modulation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

The Hoax is so idiosyncratic, it can't really approximate any other EHX pedal, and no other pedal I've ever tried can sound like the Hoax. IMO, FWIW, the only reason to get a Hoax is because you love the uniqueness of its approach to modulation.

I don't mean I necessarily would like it to do the Polyphase sounds, I mean I'd like to have the ability to sweep manually with an expression pedal, or sweep with an envelope.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cloudscapes

View Post

but like I said, its still the most awesome flanger/phaser effect i've ever tried, so the setback is pushed back to nothing!

Clouscapes:

my comment was rather meant regarding the fact:

get/use it quick - before it`s too late! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

• Members

How bad is the Hoax's background hiss? Couple of reviews I've read mentioned it was pretty noticeable, or is that just with certain settings?

Hiss pisses me off, that's why I didn't buy a Clone Theory. I really want a Hoax, but if it hisses like a bitch I'll get an FL-9 instead...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jenesis

View Post

How bad is the Hoax's background hiss? Couple of reviews I've read mentioned it was pretty noticeable, or is that just with certain settings?

Hiss pisses me off, that's why I didn't buy a Clone Theory. I really want a Hoax, but if it hisses like a bitch I'll get an FL-9 instead...

The hiss is most noticeable when the feedback switch is set to "wet", and the feedback knob is set beyond about 1:00. I don't use this setting much anyway, so it isn't a problem for me. And if you are using fuzz through it, you aren't really going to notice anyway.

• Members

Well, I'm trying to incorporate this into my rig. I seem to be having difficulty getting it mixed in at the right "severity". it's either way too subtle, or way too extreme.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Archived