FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• Members

I had an interesting discovery with the Hoax today. I was trying to find the source of a new hum coming from one of my components. I was just going pedal by pedal. When my Flanger Hoax was connected directly into amp, I heard the hiss that many people have complained about. When I returned it to its usual position behind an EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, the hiss was gone!

I wonder if the buffered pedal eliminated the hiss?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tremelo or Rotary setting:

2863852160_046c3d431f.jpg

Blend: max (variable)
Response: LOG
Amount: max for tremelo / turn down the amount to about 4:00 for a more Univibe-type sound
Modulator Mode: 0 degrees (variable)
Rate: variable between 1:00 - 3:00
Delay Mode: DC
Invert: Up
Fixed: Bypass, down
Fixed Delay Amount: min
Swept: Up
Swept Delay Amount: min

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I like this setting a lot. So much so, I think it's going to be my main "preset" for the pedal.

I found a really cool lo-fi sort of fuzz, too.

Blend: max
Response: LOG
Amount: max
Modulator Mode: DC
Rate: 8th notch
Delay Mode: DC
Invert: Up
Fixed: Bypass
Fixed Delay Amount: vary
Swept: SWEPT
Swept Delay Amount: vary

I'll have to post some more settings I've found over the past year or so I've owned it. I'm pretty good at dialing in a sound I need in a live situation, at least for finding a chorus/flange/other modulation sound. I'm really digging the fuzz sounds and the weird "tube-resonator" type of sounds.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by puretube View Post
Clouscapes:
my comment was rather meant regarding the fact:
get/use it quick - before it`s too late! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
The Hoax is going bye bye? wave.gif

And here I was, thinking of unloading mine. I love it to death, but it so hard to get a sound that you had before, to come back when you fiddle with the knobs. Also, I have the "bad clipping" with mine. It is in my loop. Any suggestions anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Just received a HOAX today...I love it. This is the flanging sound I've been searching for all these years. Deep and undulating with lots of quasi-unpredictable warble. None of the standard tinny trebely tube sound (unless you dial it in). cool.gif

I think I've got a good bead on most of the controls, but one has me a bit perplexed...the modulator control for the swept phase. Surely I'm understanding it incorrectly, but what difference does the phase shift make for the LFO? Wouldn't that only change the starting point of the cycle? Doesn't an LFO usually sweep through the entire frequency range as determined by the rate setting? Is it referring to the phase of the delay lines' modulation versus the swept phase modulation, from the same LFO?

My only gripe: No expression control. It would've been cool to manually sweep, or control the rate and/or delay amount(s), perhaps through a toggle switch of some kind allowing you to select which one. Ah well. Awesome pedal nonetheless. thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

after a long period of Hoax-GAS i finally had the time to check one out yesterday for about half an hour, but i'm not totally convinced into buying one (yet?) i did love putting it into a very extreme setting, on the edge of self osc and then putting it in the back with the blend knob, getting all this nice weird resonance and sounds :)

and Fender&EHX4ever his clips sound amazing...

hmm i might just have to get one! (changing my mind while typing this, lol)

• Members

and Fender&EHX4ever his clips sound amazing...

hmm i might just have to get one! (changing my mind while typing this, lol)

Thanks z1o!

Here's a clip of the Flanger Hoax combined with a Tube Zipper and a Deluxe Memory Man: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6747245

I've posted this elsewhere, but it seemed appropriate in the FH Lounge as well.

• Members

very nice!

i play drone and postrock, what's a good place in my FX chain? i've read that some people put it at the end after their delays?

i was thinking: comp-dirt-chorus-delay-Flanger Hoax-delay/looper...

• Members

very nice!

i play drone and postrock, what's a good place in my FX chain? i've read that some people put it at the end after their delays?

i was thinking: comp-dirt-chorus-delay-Flanger Hoax-delay/looper...

That should work great. The FH can also do a very decent modulated wah that works great before dirt or before delay. It's such a versatile analog effect, you can pretty much put it anywhere and make it work. I've also found that it's much hissier/noisier after some pedal combinations, and very quiet after others. Experiment and have fun with it :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got mine a week ago. Can get very noisy. I use the direct and blend outputs together to keep it fairly quiet. The effects output has way too much fizz with my setup. Nice recording pedal. Can get any kind of flange or special effect flange sound that's for sure.

• Members

I'm visiting my parents for the holidays, and I've been using this setup to play around this week:

MIM '92 Fender Telecaster > ZVEX Fuzz Factory > Digitech Jetpack XP-1000 > DOD FX80-b Comp/Sust > EHX Deluxe Memory Man > ZVEX Lofi Loop Junky > EHX Flanger Hoax > Fender Vibro Champ XD

I just have to say that the Flanger Hoax's phaser sounds incredible - possibly my favorite phaser ever. This is one EHX box that I feel justified in having 2 of them.

• Members

:idea:
i'm trading it for a SMMH.

If you have to trade the Hoax, the SMMH is a good pedal to trade for.

As for the noise issues, have you tried moving it around to other places in your signal chain? I have absolutely zero noise from it with the setup I listed below. But I've had other setups where the noise is unbearable. I haven't figured out what causes it yet.

• Members

If you have to trade the Hoax, the SMMH is a good pedal to trade for.

As for the noise issues, have you tried moving it around to other places in your signal chain? I have absolutely zero noise from it with the setup I listed below. But I've had other setups where the noise is unbearable. I haven't figured out what causes it yet.

yeah i've tried it on every possible place on my board and the noise remained the same. it's a very cool pedal and i would be sure to keep it if it was less noisy and the controls were a bit more intuitive.

Archived