FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This Phaser setting is similar to the other Phaser setting I posted, but it's slightly more pronounced.

Phaser 2
Blend: Max
Feedback Switch: Off
Response: LOG (or LIN)
Modulation Mode: 0
Amount: 3:30 (variable depth)
Rate: 1:00 (variable rate)
Delay Mode: DC
Invert Switch: Bypass
Fixed Phaser Switch: Bypass
Delay Amount: 1:00
Swept Phaser Switch: SWPT
Delay Amount: 12:00

• Members

I'll add in the settings I've found the past few days;

Chorus

A nice chorus sound that goes from normal to wobbly fast.

Blend: 11:00
Feedback Switch: Off
Response: LOG
Modulation: DC
Amount 10:00
Rate: 11:00-5:00
Delay Mode: 4
Invert Switch: Invert
Fixed Switch: Fixed
Swept Switch: Bypass
Fixed Delay: Max
Swept Delay: Max

Thick Phaser

Gives an excellent thick phaser effect - think "Breathe" by Pink Floyd.

Feedback switch: Off
Response: LIN
Modulation: 270 degrees
Amount: 12:00
Rate: Any (Completely variable for the speed. From SUPER slow to spinning fast)
Delay Mode: 3
Invert switch: Bypass
Fixed switch: Fixed
Swept switch: Swept
Fixed Delay: Max
Swept Delay: Max

Wobbly Flanger

This flanger setting is like a standard flanger, but has a wobble in the wave. Almost as if the sound folds over on itself for a quick second.

Feedback switch: Wet
Amount: Max
Modulation: 0 Degrees
Rate: Variable - anywhere from the minimum to the maximum works.
Delay Mode: 1
Invert Switch: bypass
Fixed Delay: 11:00
Swept Delay: 1:00

Ring Modulator

Very cool, and versatile ring modulator. The Blend knob controls the intensity, the Feedback knob adjusts tone, and the Delay knobs will change the speed of the ring modulation.

Blend: Variable
Feedback: 7:00 - 3:00 - functions exactly like a tone control, but begins to feedback after 3:00.
Amount: Min.
Rate: Just barely under the maximum - Slightly adjustable.
Delay Mode: 1
Invert switch: Invert
Fixed Switch: Bypass
Fixed Delay: 10:00-max
Swept Delay: 10:00-max

Violin Sweep

A really nice sounding violin-like effect. It drops the volume and thickness of your sound, then builds it up in the sweep, sounding very much like a violin.

Feedback Switch: Wet
Amount: Min.
Rate: Min. - 1:00 (After 1:00 it turns into a tremolo effect.)
Delay Mode: 3
Invert Switch: Invert
Fixed Switch: Bypass
Fixed Delay: Max.
Swept Delay: 4:00

• Members

Wow. I was just playing around with my ring mod setting a bit - I started tweaking knobs, and DAMN can this thing be a versatile ring mod! I really wish I could post some clips of it. It reminds me very much of the Frequency Analyzer. Now I can get it so that it will be a soft, very musical ring mod 9tracks chords wonderfully), to an all out dissonant, mechanical mess, to a shrill, robotic twang.

I'll edit my settings post with the new variables for the ring mod. I also need to make a new flanger setting, as the one I posted before is a bit wobbly sounding.

I'm really starting to think this pedal has limitless possibilities. thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by CHOUTMUSIC View Post
YEs! I'm bumping this so I can try out the settings on my newly acquired one.
I've got more settings I need to post - and some of mine need updated as well.

I am VERY proud of my Ring Modulator setting and my Violin Sweep settings. I haven't been able to perfect them any further than what's posted.

I got a awesome, deep sounding...gurgle? sound last night. (Practicing scales with intense modulation and a delay = 10,000 x more fun. biggrin.gif)

I also got a great wobble setting as well earlier today.

Plus a ton of settings for using it on a bass as well.

I'll have to write them all down and post them up. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bonerdestroyer View Post
flanger hoax is like lovetone status EH could sell it for $400 if they wanted
The most amazing part is that even at $400 it would still be a deal. There is literally -no- other modulation pedal that can pull off what the Hoax can.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MM420 View Post
lovetone has the control inputs, effects loop, and a gate input.

If these were added to the Hoax, it would be awasome!!!

(but that won't happen)

But 5 years after the Hoax is gone, I would bet they get $400+ on ebay.
I have no doubt on this at all. I can see them going down as legendary pedals like the Ampeg Scrambler.

And, not really that many people have them either. Look at the Hoax lounge compared to other effect lounges. This is probably one of the largest effect forums around, and even here there are only a select few who ever even mention the Hoax.

As soon as EHX discontinues it, I'm positive the price will spike immediately and only go up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Where are you guys putting the Hoax at in your effect chain? Right now I have mine at the very end. I tried it in the effects loop for a couple days, and while it reduced some of the noise, it didn't sound as natural as it did in front of the amp, so I moved it back.

Anyone have some settings that work well with fuzz (particularly Big Muff fuzz)? I'm having a tough time getting it to not alter the tone of the Big Muff (as well as the Double-Muff I'm also running into it). I know it can sound amazing with a Big Muff (that one site with the review on it has a TON of fuzzed Hoax clips..), but I just haven't figured out how to get those amazing sounds. Anyone have some tips to remedy the tone change?

Also, MM420, I'll check out your setting a bit later. You have to love an effect that requires warnings. biggrin.gif

• Members
I call this "Ice Scraper"
Feedback switch: Wet
Amount: Max
Modulation: 180 Degrees
Rate: minium to 9:00
Delay Mode: switch between DC and 4
Invert Switch: down
Swept Switch: SWEPT
Fixed Delay: tweak
Swept Delay: tweak
I'll give this one a try when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by -Anti- View Post
Where are you guys putting the Hoax at in your effect chain? Right now I have mine at the very end. I tried it in the effects loop for a couple days, and while it reduced some of the noise, it didn't sound as natural as it did in front of the amp, so I moved it back.

Anyone have some settings that work well with fuzz (particularly Big Muff fuzz)? I'm having a tough time getting it to not alter the tone of the Big Muff (as well as the Double-Muff I'm also running into it). I know it can sound amazing with a Big Muff (that one site with the review on it has a TON of fuzzed Hoax clips..), but I just haven't figured out how to get those amazing sounds. Anyone have some tips to remedy the tone change?
Try using both the blend output and the direct output into your amp if it has two channels, or better yet, into two amps for stereo. You will notice a tremendous difference instantly, especially with the Muff.

• Members

My amp is only mono.

Is there another way I can hook up both outs?

If there's no other way, how should I hook it up? Right now I have it in the blended out. Should I change the position of it in my effects chain?

Right now my chain is; Double-Muff>Big Muff>DE7>Flanger Hoax

Would the Hoax do better in another position?

• Members
Towards the end. After the hoax I have a stereo pulsar and frequency analyzer. I like having them afterwards because if the hoax is oscillating I can do some ring mod trickery.

I've been really exploring settings with the speed all the way down lately. I looove it for really slow atmospheric type things.

• Members
My amp is only mono.

Is there another way I can hook up both outs?

If there's no other way, how should I hook it up? Right now I have it in the blended out. Should I change the position of it in my effects chain?

Right now my chain is; Double-Muff>Big Muff>DE7>Flanger Hoax

Would the Hoax do better in another position?
The order you have seems pretty standard/optimum. I doubt that it will help your tone much to put it in a different order. You might try putting an LPB-1 before or after the Hoax to give the signal a clean boost. That might be the least expensive route to take (~$30). Someday you'll want to explore the possibility of getting a second amp so you can run in stereo.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
The order you have seems pretty standard/optimum. I doubt that it will help your tone much to put it in a different order. You might try putting an LPB-1 before or after the Hoax idea.gif to give the signal a clean boost. That might be the least expensive route to take (~$30). Someday you'll want to explore the possibility of getting a second amp so you can run in stereo.
I'd LOVE to get a second amp to match mine. The problem is that there were only 1000 made, so not only has that made the prices skyrocket, it also makes them pretty hard to find. If I ever get the chance to buy a second one, I'll jump on it immediately.

I did, however, play with the settings more just a little bit ago. I think it comes down to just tweaking it right so that it's not altering the tone. I set it up for a nice phaser/flanger setting and it sounded great with both the Double-Muff and the Big Muff. I played with a few other settings as well and they all sounded pretty good.

I'm definitely going to get an LPB-1 soon. It seems like a useful little pedal to have around. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
*amazing soundclips*
goddamn...i HAVE to get me one of those...modulation is the only thing lacking on my pedalboard right now and a FH seems to be the solution!
now i've got to find some money freak.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Blend: 80%
Feedback switch: SWPT
Amount: 4:00
Modulation: 180 Degrees
Rate: Variable - almost minimum.
Delay Mode: DC
Invert Switch: down
Swept Switch: SWEPT
Fixed Delay: 3:30
Swept Delay: 9:30
Very cool MM420! I've come across a couple of different self-oscillations, but yours has a nice little warbly whistle on the downslide. love.gif

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

great thread, I'm thinking of buying one of these. From the clips I've seen and heard, it makes a sort of pitch shift sound that is rather unpredictable that I really like.

I don't know a ton about flangers, but what exactly is causing the pitch shift? Is it the flanger itself? Other flangers I have heard do not have that chorus type pitch shift. It sounds a bit like a small clone when it does that pitch shift thing, only it seems less predictable.

Also, there really are only about 5 videos of the Flanger Hoax on youtube. Could someone just plug it in for 10 minutes and mess around with it a bunch and post it on youtube? Would be nice to hear. I'd also like to hear more samples of it clean to try to figure out exactly how its modulating the signal.

Only thing I'm afraid of is I'll get it and find its too wild for me and I can't get subtle tones. But it does subtle too right?

• Members

^Good questions. I was about to ask the same ones. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Flanger Hoax but I'm worried about the same things shinysign's pointed out. I'm only gonna use it for subtle modulation tones. Like slight shimmery chorus, a little tremolo here, light phasing ala EVH... No extreme settings for me. I'm worried the Flanger Hoax is a bit overkill for those things.

• Members

Uh, yeah. Not so sure the Hoax would be a good choice for subtle. I mean, it CAN be subtle, but there is just so much going on in that thing, that it can take a while to dial in something like a smooth phase. I have never found it to make a pretty chorus sound in the classic sense.

Archived