FLANGER HOAX LOUNGE (the ultimate)

puretube

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well that makes it sound even more interesting. A modulation pedal yet it's hard to get a normal chorus sound out of it. Well, I think I might eventually have to pick one of these up. But good to know that it won't replace any effects, I was sort of expecting it to do classic analog chorus phase and flange effects.

Are the effects still playable in a normal song? I mean it is not like they are all so strange that they wouldn't fit in a pop or rock song right? Or am I wrong about this?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shinysign

View Post

Are the effects still playable in a normal song? I mean it is not like they are all so strange that they wouldn't fit in a pop or rock song right? Or am I wrong about this?

I think the effects are totally usable. The flange is not at all traditional like an Electric Mistress or a BOSS. It's more warped and asymmetrical in it's cycles when using Delay Modes other than DC. I should post some flange clips.

Check out my other clips if you haven't already. They'll give you an idea of how I use the Hoax.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...2&postcount=69

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
I think the effects are totally usable. The flange is not at all traditional like an Electric Mistress or a BOSS. It's more warped and asymmetrical in it's cycles when using Delay Modes other than DC. I should post some flange clips.

Check out my other clips if you haven't already. They'll give you an idea of how I use the Hoax.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...2&postcount=69
Nice clips you have there. I liked the tremolo demo a lot. I think the Hoax's very useable in a straight-forward rock band. thumb.gif

• Members

Nice - great samples. What exactly is causing that nice unpredictable pitch modulation, for example, in the beginning of your chorus sample? Is that the flanger doing that, or what part of the hoax is doing that? All I'm saying is if you plug in something like a Eddie Van Halen flanger pedal all you get is the swooshing and not that dramatic pitch modulation that the flanger hoax seems to be able to do.

I love that pitch modulation sound, I am confused as to how a flanger is producing that sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JesusMcJesus

View Post

Fender&EHX4ever, how are you recording those incredibly clean clips without getting hiss in there? What setup do you have to record, any post-production on the clips?

wave.gif No post production. Fender single-coils > DOD FX80-B Comp/Sust > Flanger Hoax > SMMH > Fostex MR-8. That's it. I made sure not to use any EQ . There is still some hiss in the clips, but it isn't enough to bother me, and some of it is from the single-coils.

Quote Originally Posted by shinysign

View Post

Nice - great samples. What exactly is causing that nice unpredictable pitch modulation, for example, in the beginning of your chorus sample? Is that the flanger doing that, or what part of the hoax is doing that? All I'm saying is if you plug in something like a Eddie Van Halen flanger pedal all you get is the swooshing and not that dramatic pitch modulation that the flanger hoax seems to be able to do.

I love that pitch modulation sound, I am confused as to how a flanger is producing that sound.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec...cles/Flanging/

Flangers do have pitch modulation; but you are correct, in that the pitch shift isn't as dramatic in most traditional flangers. Traditional flangers use only one delay line. The Hoax uses two. You can adjust the delay time of each individually. When the two delays interact, that is where the Hoax gets really crazy and warbly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just added a long demo of the Hoax in my soundclick page. Check my sig. Sorry for any sloppy playing, it was a spur of the moment thing. I'm just flipping a switch about every 4 bars, or so. Towards the end I'm turning the knobs a bit. I hope to have many more Hoax demos very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by FatsoForgotso

View Post

been playing with it for 4 hours and still very confused.

Enjoy the confusion. That's what the Hoax is all about for me.

A good place to start is to keep the delay mode on DC for awhile and the feedback switched off, and play with all the possibilities from there.

• Members

I just came up with a nice phase, flange....I don't really know you tell me but its great for a nice fuzzy, spacey intro to a song or something.

Blend: 9.5 o'clock

Feedback Switch: SWPT

Response: LIN

Rate: 10 o'clock

Delay Mode: 2

Modulator Mode: 90 degrees

Amount: 2.5 o'clock

Inverse Switch: Bypass

Fixed Switch: Bypass

Swept Switch: Swept

Fixed Delay: Noon

Swept Delay: 3 o'clock

• Members

I call this "Heartbeat"

Blend: 10.5 o'clock

Feedback Switch: WET

Rate: 2 o'clock (Varies based on tempo)

Delay Mode: 4

Modulator Mode: DC

Amount: Full tilt bitches

Inverse Switch: Inverse

Fixed Delay: 2 o'clock

Swept Delay: 2 o'clock

• Members

I just brought it last week. Normaly I put it in my effect loop. But the volume is drop when I turn it on. Where should I put it?

This is my setup before I brought Flanger Hoax.

Guitar->Bad Horsie2 -> Randall RG75 G2 -loop> Boss DD-6 -end loop->

Thank you very muchsmile.gif.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EEK

View Post

I just brought it last week. Normaly I put it in my effect loop. But the volume is drop when I turn it on. Where should I put it?

This is my setup before I brought Flanger Hoax.

Guitar->Bad Horsie2 -> Randall RG75 G2 -loop> Boss DD-6 -end loop->

Thank you very muchsmile.gif.

I don't have mine in loop

it goes Guitar -> Snarling Dogs -> TW-1 -> Big Muff -> Big Muff -> Octave Multiplexer -> Flanger Hoax -> DD-3

No drop for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FatsoForgotso

View Post

"Underwater" effect

Blend: 9th notch

Feedback Switch: WET

Rate: Varies

Invert Switch: Bypass

Fixed Delay: 5.5 Notch

Swept Delay: 7.5

Delay Mode: 2

Modulator Mode: 270 degrees

Amount: 8.5

cool.gifthumb.gif

With a Big Muff in front, and the rate at 9:00, your setting makes a wonderful throaty vocal jet flange. Thanks for sharing.

Archived