The Official "Vox Pathfinder" Lounge

• Members

just wanted to detail the proper switching jack install for adding a cab to a pathfinder. in my case two vintage CTS 10s I got cheap at auction, but were 4ohms. Needed to add resistor that kicks into "combo" mode (new jack drilled, resistor engages when no speaker jack is present), kicks out when a the 4 ohm cab is plugged in, and puts the pair in series to make approx 8ohms, it's actually more like 7.2 total.

detail photo if anyone else ever requires it.

properresistorswitchwireing.jpg

Always a use for spare guitar parts in my shop... changed an LP jack/plate to goldtone a couple years ago, the old chrome now goes back in service.

oldLPjackforspeakerin.jpg

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tonight I sat in with a pretty loud punk act with a heavy hitting drummer. My role on several numbers was to play clean. My normal grab an go is on my bench and I didn't want to grab a monster so I rolled the dice with the Pathfinder.

I honestly didn't think the amp would keep up with this group max'd out dirty. To my surprise with the LED mod it kept up in boost mode completely clean and was loud as {censored}. The other guitarists were floored that it could do that.

It could never keep up at those volumes before without the mod, certainly not clean. It would just barely keep up in that setting with everything dimed full on distortion. {censored}ing great mod, I'm glad I thought of it. : patshimselfonback: thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelMonkey View Post
Tonight I sat in with a pretty loud punk act with a heavy hitting drummer. My role on several numbers was to play clean. My normal grab an go is on my bench and I didn't want to grab a monster so I rolled the dice with the Pathfinder.

I honestly didn't think the amp would keep up with this group max'd out dirty. To my surprise with the LED mod it kept up in boost mode completely clean and was loud as {censored}. The other guitarists were floored that it could do that.

It could never keep up at those volumes before without the mod, certainly not clean. It would just barely keep up in that setting with everything dimed full on distortion. {censored}ing great mod, I'm glad I thought of it. : patshimselfonback: thumb.gif
Awesome! Mine gets REALLY loud now that I've done the same. Great job with the mod! :virtualhighfive:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Moustache_Bash View Post
Thanks. For me, it's too bad they just don't come with a 12".

I played a Pathfinder while I was hitting up pawn shops, and I have to say God Damn. Pathfinder sounds really good. Lives up to hype.
Thing is... That little 8" speaker has such a wide range and is very efficient for a little bugger. I've not come across any 8" guitar amp speaker that comes close. It's in no way like an efficient modern 12" but it can hang with those old school 12's. Thing is... I'd rather have the modern more efficient 12. But hey, for a little 8" that thing slays. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelMonkey

View Post

Thing is... That little 8" speaker has such a wide range and is very efficient for a little bugger. I've not come across any 8" guitar amp speaker that comes close. It's in no way like an efficient modern 12" but it can hang with those old school 12's. Thing is... I'd rather have the modern more efficient 12. But hey, for a little 8" that thing slays. thumb.gif

That's what she said.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mendolin View Post
I have 2 of them now. I don't use anything else anymore ampwise.

What do you guys use for dirt?
Big Box Rat works pretty well for me... what else should I try?
The best OD I have found for this amp is a Boss OD-3, crazy as that sounds. This is one killer amp. It is best with a tele or single coil, vintage type pup guitar IMO. Also a TOD sounds pretty good too!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelMonkey View Post

Nice man, I have been told to turn down in a band setting, not hard hitting, but acoustic drums wink.gif Oh yeah and I was like only on 6 or something, I remember being floored they really just told me to turn it down wink.gif

• Members
probe.jpg

i have the mini head and combo, i liked it a lot before some c@nt tried it with european 220 volt and forgeting to put inbetween the US 110 -> 220 volt transformer (i bought it from the US so the vox had 110 volt) and burned it!!!!!!
i made it repair but it makes some nasty noise now when overdriven and i let a chord fade out ... to bad ...

• Members

Did the LED mod tonight. It sounded good for a little while, a lot louder and punchier...but now it will intermittently have this really nasty sounding distortion and noise that comes in...almost sounding like a ring modulator. All I did was open it up and take the chassis out and bend the LED's back and forth till they broke off...not sure what I did wrong?

• Members

what do you guys think of the vox cambridge 15 (the "new" one, not the old one)? i had one yeeeeears ago and can't remember how it was, all i know was it had one tube innit and i sold it after not to long ... how does it compare to the pathfinder? can't remember ... i'm getting old ...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by houseofglass21

View Post

Did the LED mod tonight. It sounded good for a little while, a lot louder and punchier...but now it will intermittently have this really nasty sounding distortion and noise that comes in...almost sounding like a ring modulator. All I did was open it up and take the chassis out and bend the LED's back and forth till they broke off...not sure what I did wrong?

If everything was taken apart and put back together house I would look for one of two things. Double check to see if the remaining leads for the LEDs are not somehow touching each. If they are take a pair of dikes and snip them closer to the board. If that checks out I would then look at the underside of the PCB board to check for damaged traces. The rocking motion could have lifted and or cracked a trace possibly causing an intermittent open circuit. If that's the case an easy long term solution is to jumper the trace by soldering jumper wire or a solder joint.