The Official "Vox Pathfinder" Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by enroper View Post
Two questions, as I'm still considering one of these as a coffee house / recording / practice amp :

a. does anybody have any examples of a 15r well recorded and in a mix? Preferably something indie-ish / modern rock sounding.. Crappy youtube on camera mic clips just aint convincing me
b. Anybody tried a weber blue dog in one of these to try to get a more 'english' sound? i know its overkill, but the worst case is the amp dies some day and you have a well broken in speaker you can still use in another project, not a complete waste of money...
I don't have a Pathfinder, so I can't comment there. I DO have a Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo in my AC15cc, an I love it. Since the frequency response of the speaker will influence the way an amp sounds significantly, and Blue type speakers are such a part of the Vox legacy, I'd say it certainly couldn't hurt to try. It's not going to change it into an AC15 or AC30, but it should give you more of that British flavor IMO.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by enroper View Post
Two questions, as I'm still considering one of these as a coffee house / recording / practice amp :

a. does anybody have any examples of a 15r well recorded and in a mix? Preferably something indie-ish / modern rock sounding.. Crappy youtube on camera mic clips just aint convincing me
b. Anybody tried a weber blue dog in one of these to try to get a more 'english' sound? i know its overkill, but the worst case is the amp dies some day and you have a well broken in speaker you can still use in another project, not a complete waste of money...
A. Feist, Norah Jones

B. Dude, honestly, the Pathfinder speaker is the best (subjective), most efficient (objective) 8" guitar speaker I've ever heard, and it fits this amp perfectly. There's no sense in changing it. Also, the Weber will have significant volume loss.

EDIT: Wait... The Blue Dog is a 12". Are you going to run it through a cab? Or did you mean the Blue Pup?

EDIT 2: Looking at the specs, eeeeeeh. I think those Webers will be way too bright for the Pathfinder. I learned when cab shopping that it likes a very dark speaker.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

How does anyone keep this plugged into original speaker??  When I play through original speaker, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard SS.

Me personally, I have 1X12, 2X12 and 4X12 options.  I butchered a speaker cable and got it plugged into a 4X12.

Tone is very, very different.  Very full and doesn't sound too much like tubes anymore.

I like dirty.  Super dirty. And this Amp fills my dirty needs, in spades.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

just got hold of a pathfinder 10... digging the tones, tried the LED mod and wow! opened up the tone! tried to hook it up with a 4 ohm 30w celestion 12" from my old Line 6 Spider III 30 and it opened up the tones even more!

just looking now for some diagram on how to rehouse it, head and cab style.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Ahhh...Pathfinders.....great lil things.

I have 2 ..a bass one and guitar one...(both pathfinder 10)

Both LED modded. (LED s crushed with rusty pliers...job done... )

Guitar one I pulled out C12 what an improvement that was.

I use these amps in stereo and find that the tonal differences and dynamic response makes for a huge sound between them..I use a stereo reverb pedal and that's it usually..not an effects nut....

I love the way these amps respond to touch and that they respond well to changes on guitars vol and tone pots...not many amps do...vox amps always do...great value!!!