iPad

• Members

the old man here remembers the introduction of the Macintosh (which he bought for about $2800 to use to write his masters thesis)

many complained about its lack of a command-line interface and no 5 1/4 " industry standard floppy drive or parallel i/o bus

remember those?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see the iPad making its way into music production in a big way, but I guess it depends on what apps are written for it. There are many good synth and drum apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch, and even though they'll work on the iPad, they need to be rewritten for the larger screen.

There is plenty of business potential with the iPad - as a host platform for multimedia presentations, as an inventory and ordering software host, and as an interactive demonstration unit.

Rumors on the Apple forums are stating that Apple is working on daughter screens, and a bigger iPad (nicknamed MaxiPad by the forum.) :facepalm:

• Members

the only valid reason to buy hardware is to run software.

when they release an app I cant live without, I'll buy one. not before.

With that attitude you'll probably never buy one. But countless millions of other people will. And that's okay.

There are what, 150,000 iPhone apps that also run on the iPad, and already 1,000+ iPad apps? I have many entertaining and very useful apps that I never would have known about if I hadn't had an iPhone, and now an iPad.

There were iPhone naysayers from day one, and they continue on. Whatever. Apple has sold more than 42 million of the silly things, and their stock is trading at $235. I think it's a hoot that Apple's market cap is $213 billion, well on it's way to overtaking Microsoft at $255 billion. Ten years ago, who woulda thunk it?

But these products aren't for everyone.

Playing with my iPad, I can only imagine what v2.0 and 3.0 will be able to do. Because this company just keeps on inventing cool stuff. And by then, Flash will be dead, because Apple will have made it so.

• Members

Playing with my iPad, I can only imagine what v2.0 and 3.0 will be able to do.

What truly amazes me is how many synth, sampler, loop, effects, and general digital culture types on this board and others are slamming a device with such obvious potential for creativity and imagination on stage or in a studio (or on the toilet, even!).

Developers like the solidity of this platform and like that it has relatively low piracy potential compared especially with comparable Windows stuff.

Imagine if Waldorf came out with exactly this but with a three octave keyboard attached to it and the Q inside -- everyone would be creaming their Speedos over it (even if it cost over a thousand bucks), but since it's an Apple all sense of proportion leaves the mind and the wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues on cue.

By the way, when are synth manufacturers going to implement large multipoint control surfaces as standard technology?

• Members

That electribe app is insanely appealing...just thinking about my beatmaker app on a larger screen makes my mouth water.

This device, for whatever limitations it has (and as obnoxious as they are), represents such a leap forward for mainstream touch computing. Its success is only good for the future of the market, the way the iphone set new standards for smart phones. I couldn't bring myself to buy one or go out in public with it at the moment because it's such a luxury item (like all apple products, just way moreso), but I look forward to having one in the future as it approachers more macbook-like capabilities.

Keybdwizrd, keep us posted on how you're using it.

• Members

what about the multimedia capabilities of the iPad ?

that is going to smoke the kindle. That model will be last years news

Like I said, I'd love an iPad. Just not for reading. The lengthy reading I do on the Kindle would fry my eyes on a laptop or iPad. I read 3-4 books a week. LCDs won't cut it on a Reader, regardless of how good they are.

If they release an iPad with color E-ink, I'd get rid of my Kindle in a heartbeat. No sweat. Hell, I'd buy two right now - one for me and one for my wife! :)

As it is, I'll probably add the current model iPad to my studio before the year is out. :love: ...I hope Apple can add Flash by then.

• Members

That electribe app is insanely appealing...just thinking about my beatmaker app on a larger screen makes my mouth water.

Our drummer showed off his new iPad to us yesterday. He demonstrated Intua Beatmaker (iPad version just under $5, as opposed to nearly $20 for iPhone version) for us on iPad. I must say, I was quite impressed. Looked really good too.

• Members

that electribe thing looks awesome.

if they added a midi dongle thing like they have for the itouch, it would be totally awesome if they came out with MIDI editors for hardware synths. that would be too cool to plug this in and edit a patch with..

• Members
You can not really expect such a small device to run "powerful VSTs". I would expect it to run REASON, with no really big sample banks given they are ram-based and
-I may be wrong-
don't think the Slate could have more than 1 or 2 GB of Ram. So, this means no "powerful VSTs" or DAW in the HP Slate.

The iPad has 256 MB of RAM. You're right; any synths it runs will be written specifically for it.

• Members

I just watched a demo of the iPad's map function, and I must say that it was pretty amazing. But because it's so limited in what it can do, I'm afraid that I'd be reaching for my laptop more than an iPad if I owned one. A lot more.

It looks like the perfect companion to take with me to the toilet though. :p

I just read an article titled "Apple's iPad is the Future." Maybe. But I don't think this particular iPad is the present.

• Members

keybdwzrd, glad you're digging the iElectribe. Great video! A couple of things to check out:

1. In the Appearance page, you can set a photo as your background (not to mention customizing the colors in the Settings page).

2. You can swipe your finger across the bottom row of buttons to mute/unmute multiple steps at once.

3. Unlike the original Electribe, you can now make as many Motion Sequences as you want, and using the Clear Motion button, you can erase individual sequences just by touching a part or control.

4. You can quickly assign patterns to the Pattern Set function. After pressing Pattern Set and selecting a button, just choose a new pattern from the Browser, and it will be automatically assigned to that button. You can even do this while it's playing.

Have fun!

• Members
Does anyone know if they were able to get flash support for it?

If not, a significant portion of the internet will not run...
including all those games people such as myself waste their life playing.

Flash will be obsolete eventually. And every damn website that wants to be on the iPad is already dropping flash and switching to HTML5, an open standard unlike the proprietary Flash:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/ready-for-ipad

And it will help you not waste your life away playing flash games to boot! :thu:

• Members

People are expecting multitasking to mean what they are accustomed to on Windows, MacOS/X, or Linux, and I don't see open and free multitasking of that nature being allowed to occur on the iDevices at the current state of hardware power.

Why do people run their mouths off on something they're clueless about? The iPad/iPhone's current OS arbitrarily limits third party apps from running in the background after the user closes the app. But this isn't because the iPhone OS "can't multitask," as the iPhone OS uses the same preemptively multitasking Mach/BSD kernel as Apple's desktop Mac OS X.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/iphone-os-4-2/

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/03/31/apples_iphone_4_0_to_support_multitasking_via_expose_like_interface.html

Archived