iPad

• Members

as much as I want an iPad- if the HP or Dell slates can really run Windows 7 they will be able to run most VSTs/ DAWs and PC softsynths

Completely missing the point. You can run all the VSTs/DAWs made to be used with a mouse on a touchscreen but it won't be the same. It's about apps being designed for the touchscreen.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
keybdwzrd, glad you're digging the iElectribe. Great video! A couple of things to check out:

1. In the Appearance page, you can set a photo as your background (not to mention customizing the colors in the Settings page).

2. You can swipe your finger across the bottom row of buttons to mute/unmute multiple steps at once.

3. Unlike the original Electribe, you can now make as many Motion Sequences as you want, and using the Clear Motion button, you can erase individual sequences just by touching a part or control.

4. You can quickly assign patterns to the Pattern Set function. After pressing Pattern Set and selecting a button, just choose a new pattern from the Browser, and it will be automatically assigned to that button. You can even do this while it's playing.

Have fun!

So, Kaossilator for iPad will be coming, yes?

By the way, why is everyone so devoted to Flash?

Is it really that wonderful?

Is it critical for synth and sampler apps?

:confused:

• Members

Flash will be obsolete eventually.

But it's not yet. So far the biggest complaints from new iPad owners is all those large blank areas on their webpages.

This is a big roll of the dice for Jobs, but it's not the first time. The iPhone has been stubbonly GSM in spite of all the frustration with that network, but he's finally giving in and (from what I read) will start offering CDMA phones later this year or early next. The reasons were similar - GSM being open source and CDMA being locked up by Qualcomm.

Will he eventually give in with Flash support as well? We'll see.

• Members

Will he eventually give in with Flash support as well? We'll see.

Highly doubtful. Part of the reason Flash will be obsolete for the web has to do with the stance Apple has taken, rightly so, in favor of an open standard.

Completely missing the point. You can run all the VSTs/DAWs made to be used with a mouse on a touchscreen but it won't be the same. It's about apps being designed for the touchscreen.

Agreed.

And as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure it, the HP Slate, won't run anyway any "powerful" DAW or VST, unless it is strictly designed for the Slate, just like the apps in the iPad.

... btw Apple's touchscreens are awesome.

• Members
By the way, why is everyone so devoted to Flash?

Is it really that wonderful?

Is it critical for synth and sampler apps?

:confused:

Flash has very little to do with synths. If you wanted to make a soft synth, even a simple one, Flash is NOT the best way to go about it. In a nutshell, Flash is (was?) basically the standard for making graphics on websites MOVE. 90% of the time it is overused and annoying. It's good for web-based games though.

• Members

Flash has very little to do with synths. If you wanted to make a soft synth, even a simple one, Flash is NOT the best way to go about it. In a nutshell, Flash is (was?) basically the standard for making graphics on websites MOVE. 90% of the time it is overused and annoying. It's good for web-based games though.

Not if it's the number one reason for crashing your browser on certain OS. Plus, even for games, there is no need for flash. For example, Quake 2 has already been ported to HTML5 + javascript and runs on a browser:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/04/02/google-ambiera-show-off-what-webgl-and-html5-can-do-for-browser/

• Members

Not if it's the number one reason for crashing your browser on certain OS. Plus, even for games, there is no need for flash. For example, Quake 2 has already been ported to HTML5 + javascript and runs on a browser:

You've obviously mistaken my comments for some sort of "vs" argument. I didn't say anything about one being "better" than the other. I was just describing how Flash is currently used, in the here and now - not what is "possible" or "better" once HTML5 becomes a browser standard.

• Members

over rated pruduct. below average specs

Apple hired the most powerfull salesman in world to sell their mediocre ipad

Wouldn't be a bad post if you had any comprehension of what we're even talking about. This isn't a new piano, so go away. There are no youtube samples of it's Grand Piano that you can compare with a Nord. We'll let you know when there are.

I see Tony in a bathrobe and slippers that shuffles into an area where they have a computer set up and then starts banking on the keyboard to type his posts...only to have some orderly come over, slap his hand, then lead him back to his room.

• Members

Apparently you don't appreciate the difference between a multitasking kernel and multitasking OS user interface, because I was referring to the latter, not the former. I've written multitasking kernels. I know the difference. Have you? I've also been using multitasking OS since the 70's, long before Apple ever did one, probably before you were born. I did 6502 assembly code programming on the Apple II, and I compared the Apple Lisa with the Mac, on the first day the original classic Mac shipped, so I know the history of Apple OS better than the average person, if you think you want to challenge me on this. I already mentioned that the iPod/iPhone can do multitasking when I mentioned the ability to play music as a background task. I was talking about the form of multitasking allowed for apps in the presentation layer, which are limited by the UI design prinicipals that Apple has imposed, directed by Jobs. I also happen to agree with the design decision by Jobs/Apple to limit multitasking in the UI until they are ready to do so in a usable way, because that's one of the most difficult aspects to control from the user's perspective (at least of the non-techie everyman kind of person).

Will be interesting to see what they say this Thursday about iPhone OS 4.0. They're holding some media event then.

• Members

I've written multitasking kernels. I know the difference. Have you? I've also been using multitasking OS since the 70's, long before Apple ever did one, probably before you were born. I did 6502 assembly code programming on the Apple II, and I compared the Apple Lisa with the Mac, on the first day the original classic Mac shipped, so I know the history of Apple OS better than the average person, if you think you want to challenge me on this.

Y'know, it wouldn't even count for anything if you'd personally blown Steve Jobs every day for the last decade. Argument by authority is a logical fallacy.

• Members

Y'know, it wouldn't even count for anything if you'd personally blown Steve Jobs every day for the last decade. Argument by authority is a logical fallacy.

it's cute that you edited out the relavant part where he answered your post:

Apparently you don't appreciate the difference between a multitasking kernel and multitasking OS user interface, because I was referring to the latter, not the former.

then he went on to list his credentials that YOU brought into question with your "Why do people run their mouths off on something they're clueless about?" only to call the idiotic "Argument of Authority" bull{censored}.

:thu: excellent work! You'll go far here.

Archived