iPad

• Members

The more I think about this thing, the more I want one. Imagine if (when) someone releases a VST host for it. Instant Receptor killer, with a touch interface built in. I just wonder how much the CPU can handle.

How much did that JazzMutant Lemur thing cost? $2,000?

In 6 months someone will release an app just like it for $20.

I'm glad my wife delayed her Kindle purchase. Maybe I can talk her into paying for half an iPad. :thu:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm glad my wife delayed her Kindle purchase. Maybe I can talk her into paying for half an iPad.
:thu:

The only downside is that the iPad won't be a great e-reader because it uses a LCD instead of an E-ink display. Also, the battery life is a matter of 6 or 7 hours while dedicated readers have a battery life of a week or more between charges...

I find the iPad very attractive - but I won't be getting rid of my Kindle anytime soon. ;)

There's some iPod Touch apps I'm running now that would be fantastic on the iPad: ISample, Jasuto Pro, Trope and bleep!BOX.

The only downside is that the iPad won't be a great e-reader because it uses a LCD instead of an E-ink display. Also, the battery life is a matter of 6 or 7 hours while dedicated readers have a battery life of a week or more between charges...

I find the iPad
very
attractive - but I won't be getting rid of my Kindle anytime soon.
;)

There's some iPod Touch apps I'm running now that would be
fantastic
on the iPad: ISample, Jasuto Pro, Trope and bleep!BOX.

... try making some music with the kindle :p

• Members

... try making some music with the kindle
:p

I'd rather do that than read a novel on the iPad. ;)

I'm just letting soundxplorer know the iPad isn't a very good e-reader replacement because of the display and battery life.

I'm dieing to try Wayoutware's iSample on the iPad though. :love:

LIaDj_aAxCc

• Members

I find the iPad
very
attractive - but I won't be getting rid of my Kindle anytime soon.
;)

There's some iPod Touch apps I'm running now that would be
fantastic
on the iPad: ISample, Jasuto Pro, Trope and bleep!BOX.

The reviewers that have had it for a week say it's better at reading books than the Kindle or other E-ink devices. I know I know...doesn't seem like it would but that's what the reviewers are saying. And some from reviewers that liked the Kindle. The battery life is longer than just that 6 or 7 hours. They were going from 100% charge to 0% in 11 hours. That's with the screen brightness at 50% mind you.

Just saying what the reviewers are saying. Yes, it's one of those devices that when you look at the spec sheet and go "nah, it doesn't have this this or this" is where people are not getting it. It's only when you actually play with it for a while you'll start to see that it's greater than the sum of it's parts. Again, from the reviewers. :idk:

• Members

from an electronic musician's perspective, i can't imagine not getting an iPad. all of that power for a mass market price, this is a gift from apple.

jazzmutant lemur 2

$2000

jazzmutant-lemurOS2-460-80.jpg

korg kaoss pad 3

$400

4276323940_3f84d338a7.jpg

apple ipad

$500 (16gb / wifi model)

product-wifi.jpg

• Members

CDM has been doing a lot of iPad

RjDj Voyager

More in CDM's roundup:

These RjDj jukebox things look like fun and accessible so far.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

About the iPad ever loading a Vst, I wouldn't get my hopes up... Even if apple were all for opening ends for loading any third party plugins into it, it would still be unlikely (I guess the processor is not a lot like the ones on desktops).

• Members

About the iPad ever loading a Vst, I wouldn't get my hopes up... Even if apple were all for opening ends for loading any third party plugins into it, it would still be unlikely (I guess the processor is not a lot like the ones on desktops).

If the processor is incompatible, then developers would have to port their software. Not likely for the average "free made-with-SynthEdit" VST, you are right.

But what do you mean by Apple "opening ends"?

As far as I know the iPad SDK is the same as the iPhone, which means anyone and their cousin who wants to pay the SDK fee can whip up an app and sell it on iTunes. This model has been a success for the iPhone.

• Members

If the processor is incompatible, then developers would have to port their software. Not likely for the average "free made-with-SynthEdit" VST, you are right.

But what do you mean by Apple "opening ends"?

As far as I know the iPad SDK is the same as the iPhone, which means anyone and their cousin who wants to pay the SDK fee can whip up an app and sell it on iTunes. This model has been a success for the iPhone.

Oh... if it were to take porting, then why a VST host rather than stand-alone apps? That's more likely.

What I meant was that apple retains a tight control over what software the iphone runs with the app store, and will certainly do that on the ipad, so it's unlikely they would allow such a thing as a general host that would load any Vst without their supervision, even if it happens to be viable.

• Members

What I meant was that apple retains a tight control over what software....it's unlikely they would allow such a thing as a general host that would load any Vst without their supervision

Ahh, that makes sense.

Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of native synths made for it. I can't wait to see where this goes.

• Members

Does anyone know if they were able to get flash support for it?

If not, a significant portion of the internet will not run... including all those games people such as myself waste their life playing.

But Apple and game developers would rather have you buy iPad games such as Mirror's Edge, Call Of Duty Zombies, etc:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/02/some-early-ipad-games-that-have-our-attention/

• Members

Ahh, that makes sense.

Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of native synths made for it. I can't wait to see where this goes.

What we have seen so far on iPhone is softsynth developers creating iPhone versions of their VSTs. Examples: SunVox, Jasuto.

I'm guessing this model will continue. You may have to pay the developer of your favorite softsynth VST to port it to iPad. ;) But if Korg's iPad Electribe turns out as good as DS-10/DS-10 Plus did on the Nintendo DS, he/she already has stiff competition.

Reason is rumored to be ported to iPad, but of course it will only host Reason devices.

• Members

You wish. The lack of multitasking on the iPad/iPhone/iPod is intentional. The iPhone/iPad could've always had multitasking, if Jobs wanted it. Nothing iHappens without Jobs giving the iGoahead, and if he doesn't want multitasking, your wish will never be a reality. I don't see him bending on this. It's a matter of design principal, not merely the ability to do it in the OS.

The next OS update 4.0, due out this summer, will bring multitasking to these devices. :D

You were saying? :rolleyes:

Archived