iPad

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally I don't get it...I have a MacBook with Logic on it, and I can't see what any of these apps or the hardware itself will give me that i don't already have, and I suspect my very basic setup is a) far more powerful and b) just as portable.

Unless there's something I have missed?

• Members

Personally I don't get it...I have a MacBook with Logic on it, and I can't see what any of these apps or the hardware itself will give me that i don't already have, and I suspect my very basic setup is a) far more powerful and b) just as portable.

Unless there's something I have missed?

It's not a laptop. it's a new "thing". Don't have to prop it open, don't need to use a keyboard, can hold it with one hand like a book and flip through pages or whatever with the other. would be easier to read in bed, for me at least. I lay on my side and look down at the book or magazine I'm reading. I've never been able to do that with my laptop as I have to tilt my head just so or angle my head in a weird position. can't just lay the computer flat with the monitor flat on the bed...for instance.

not meant to replace anything. I don't know. I'm not getting one anytime soon, but can using this for a number of things that I wouldn't use my computer for.

• Members

Well, honestly, I don't see this thing becoming something you're going to be playing a big selection of soft-synths with or having it be a DAW with a bunch of softsynths. Not really aimed at that. This isn't meant to replace a notebook.

If Apple were to say "Okay, all our business is going to iPod/iPad now, we're not going to make desktop or notebook computers anymore" I could understand the outrage. But this isn't suppose to replace them. It's a "new thing". Some guys might want or need the "new thing" and some won't. For instance, it's 2010 and I don't even own a cell-phone. Don't need one. Don't begrudge people that get a cell-phone or an iPhone either.

Actually, don't care what anyone wants or has, how does that effect me at all?

• Members

[YOUTUBE]-p-RZAwQq0E[/YOUTUBE]

as much as I want an iPad- if the HP or Dell slates can really run Windows 7 they will be able to run most VSTs/ DAWs and PC softsynths- I love my Jasuto Pro and Thumbjam- but these are no match for the vast selection of powerful VSTs- likewise in gaming and browsing Flash support and the ability to run all those game system emulators [including iphone] might make the iPad seem rather wimpy

• Members

I am posting this from the iPad I purchased an hour ago.

Stopped by the Apple store to try one, pulled out my Amex within three minutes.

Haven't synced it up yet, just doing the web thing while watching the NCAA.

Yes, I have a MacBook, but it won't run my iPhone apps. And this iPad is lots more portable. It's just, well, cool.

My wife and I envision this being a shared device that will live in the TV room. But I also see myself laying in bed or out on the back porch reading and watching movies with it.

Awesome gadget for $499.

• Members

I think the iPad's greatest achievement may be in future notebook design, but not as their replacement. The form factor is just not optimized for the kinds of things that I do on a laptop. Their touch screen is very tempting though -

I'm posting this in my usual position laying on my bed with my HP laptop resting on my raised legs. I can - and do - this for hours at a time and not feel uncomfortable. I suppose that the iPad may a little more conducive to this behavior but then again I'm whipping this off at 60wpm while uploading a vid to Youtube and watching Butler move on to the championship game. ;)

• Members

Flash CS5 will support developing apps for the iPhone, and the iPad too I would assume, since they use the same SDK. CS5 is scheduled for release in a couple of weeks.

Good to know... for awhile there I wasn't sure the iPad would be able to do much beyond being a paper-weight that can surf part of the internet and play music.

Edit: The slate is probably where its at. "It" may be more weight and size, but I'd rather have a windows based computer for more functionality. Windows 7 is pretty nice too.

might make the iPad seem rather wimpy

The iPad is not a computer, and not thought to be a computer's replacement or some netbook thing.

... But the HP Slate is more like a Netbook than a full blown computer, and that's a lot of saying.

You can not really expect such a small device to run "powerful VSTs". I would expect it to run REASON, with no really big sample banks given they are ram-based and -I may be wrong- don't think the Slate could have more than 1 or 2 GB of Ram. So, this means no "powerful VSTs" or DAW in the HP Slate.

And as an iPhone user, I do not care about Flash support.

By the way, have you read anything about HTML5?

The real deal breaker with the HP device is that it is a PC running windows. I am not saying that Mac is better; I'm just saying that I would not like to have a device like that, with Windows on it.

... oh, and the touchscreen in the iPad. If you're an iPhone user, you should better know how good Apple's touchscreens are.

• Members

I ended up at a Best Buy location this morning and got to mess with an iPad in person. The weight was surprising at first, but not much of a problem. The most appealing aspect of owning one for me is its potential for future applications and interfaces. But at the current price point (which I think is okay but not great) I think I'd rather get a netbook for hackintosh action. Just think it would fit my needs better.

Still, I'll be keeping tabs. I definitely LOVE that Netflix On Demand works out of the gate, and I know this thing is gonna sell. Hell, Best Buy sold 4 of them just in the 5 minutes I spent in line.

• Members
The only downside is that the iPad won't be a great e-reader because it uses a LCD instead of an E-ink display. Also, the battery life is a matter of 6 or 7 hours while dedicated readers have a battery life of a week or more between charges...

I find the iPad
very
attractive - but I won't be getting rid of my Kindle anytime soon.
;)

There's some iPod Touch apps I'm running now that would be
fantastic
on the iPad: ISample, Jasuto Pro, Trope and bleep!BOX.

what about the multimedia capabilities of the iPad ?

that is going to smoke the kindle. That model will be last years news

Archived