iPad

• Members

Besides, I wasn't arguing that what I said was true because I was an authority, I was responding to your implication that I must not know what I was talking about because of your assumption that I was referring to the kernel/OS ability to multitask, when in fact, I was referring to design choice to intentionally limit multitasking in the presentation layer.

My implication? Look again.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't get what people don't get about it.

Do you get me?

It's the lack of ports that bug me... no USB and just a headphone jack to get your audio out to your studio.

I'm waiting for the next gen, or more of a "pro" model with some of these features, or at least other ways to perform connectivity etc. It looks like there will be some cool stuff for the iPad at least, and maybe someone will be able to hack ways for an iPad to interface with the computer in a better way....

It's the lack of ports that bug me... no USB and just a headphone jack to get your audio out to your studio.

I'm waiting for the next gen, or more of a "pro" model with some of these features, or at least other ways to perform connectivity etc. It looks like there will be some cool stuff for the iPad at least, and maybe someone will be able to hack ways for an iPad to interface with the computer in a better way....

This is the actual deal-stopper for me at this moment.

Not that I need that. But say, it would be nice to process external audio through a somewhat better audio input... and have some better audio output...

I will fix this on my iPhone by buying Blue's Mikey. Hopefully it will work for the iPad too.

... and then, what I miss on my iPhone is to being able to sync my drum machines to other iPhones or to the computer, so I wish they could make some MIDI sync. Just imagine, having those iElectribes synced to another iPads with other apps...

I do not care about boring flash animations and multi-tasking. I want some better I/O and MIDI Sync.

Crossing fingers.

• Members

It does have USB though, it's just that you have to use their 30pin to USB dock connector which is not the same as not being able to connect to it via usb which is what saying "no USB" implies. And the iphone already has accessories for audio input through the dock connector like Alesis Protrack (XLR input) and the Blue Mikey which also has line input through the dock (and should work with ipad):

http://www.bluemic.com/mikey/new/

and more such devices are bound to come out.

And midi interfaces are already popping up for iphone/ipad like the Line6 one and the recently announced iconnectivity usb midi interface:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/

• Members

I would love it if I could enter midi notes/cc data into my sequencer using an ipad as pianoroll. It seems perfect for that! There is a lot of potential for the ipad and I hope the sequencer manufacturers fully take advantage of the dang thing. ASAP! :thu:

• Members
It does have USB though, it's just that you have to use their 30pin to USB dock connector which is not the same as not being able to connect to it via usb which is what saying "no USB" implies.

Ah, okay. That was one of the knocks of the early reports. It's more like the Mac Mini I have then where they use some odd connector choices. :( for the proprietary connector but perhaps not a deal-breaker.

I think the other :( I have about Apple devices is that (at least in the iPhone world) is that -- while their developer support is excellent -- that only applies if you are a company looking for profit and willing to spend the money and the hoops to get your app published in the store. Apple seems hostile to open source, free, and hobbyist hacking type apps. If the Google / Android folks come out with a worthwhile pad (and you'd think they would), this reason alone might make the Google product a more serious contender for certain types of peeps.

Still, this has a potential to be quite neat.

• Members

Keep in mind that Apple doesn't want to cannibalize their MacBook and desktop markets with a $499 consumer device.

I read a report suggesting that Apple would be coming out with a larger iPad in the future. My guess is that it will be a 15" model that can still fit into a laptop bag. Maybe it will be $999 plus a keyboard dock that will bring the price up near a MacBook.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see a 20 - 27" iMac with a touch screen that can run both OSX and iPad apps.

• Members

Ah, okay. That was one of the knocks of the early reports.

Yeah, the amount of misinformation and deliberate smear/hate campaign against the iPad is something I've never seen before in this scale about a product that wasn't even released yet. I guess people who base their identity on tech brand loyalty are truly scared and jealous. And some of it may be Future Shock.

Archived