Best amp for Nirvana sounds???

Knob_Gobblin'

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If everything works on the Twin Reverb, than $300 is a steal. If you want to sound like Kurt Cobain on the Nevermind or In Utero albums, then this is what you need:

Guitars: A. Late 60's Fender Mustang and Fender Jaguar. But, any USA, Japanes, or MIM Fender Tele or Strat will do (cheaper). Bridge = SD JB humbucker; Neck = early 90's Gibson PAF or DiMarzio Super Distortion B. Univox Hi Flyer I (Bleach and Nevermind) and Univox Hi Flyer II (In Utero). Use original pickups or get a Univox Fuzz pedal.

Amps: A. In the studio - He used a Fender Baseman, Mesa Boogie Studio .22, and a Vox AC30 B. Shows and Clubs - He used a 1982 Fender Twin Reverb (Rivera Era) with two EV12's, for its unbreakable headroom. The EV12 speaker made it weigh a ton. The best alternative I found, and bought, was a 1983 Fender Concert 210, with EV10m speakers. Weighs 80lbs, much less than the Twin Reverb, and has the same unbreakable headroom C. Touring - Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp, use the clean channel with the mids all the way up. Preamp is powered by Crest 4801's, but there are newer, cheaper, and capable alternatives, like the Crest 6001. They fed into 412 stacks, filled with Celestion Vintage 30's and Greenbacks.

Pedal Chain in this order: A. In the studio he used an Electro Hamonix Big Muff, on one song (Lithium) of Nevermind. The Boss DS1 (Nevermind) and Boss DS2 (Nevermind tour and In Utero) were mostly used for the raunchy buzz saw effect, acoustic guitar, and just plain noise B. Tech 21 SansAmp amp emulator. This was Kurts main distortion pedal, into the Mesa Boogie Preamp. He would sometimes use the DS2 and Sansamp together C. Electro-Harmonix Echo Falanger and Poly Chorus. He swapped them in/out when they'd stop working D. Electro Harmonix Small Clone.

Good Luck!

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of their music but I also thought the tone fit their style extremely well. It's not over produced uber drop tune stuff and it isnt some pretty rock/pop either. it is what it is, let the {censored}ing guy alone you black tee shirt wearing, basement dwelling, nose picking, makeup wearing virigins...

edit:

{censored}ing the newbtard who bumped this old ass thread. cheebus christ.

• Members

Christ almighty,.... :lol:'ing and :facepalm:'ing at this thread.

Two things guaranteed to big massive amounts of hate and butt hurt on this board, Metallica threads and Nirvana/Kurt Cobain threads.

However,...the entertainment factor way up there.

Archived